Author Topic: How the heck do you sell a guitar, anyway ?  (Read 3490 times)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
How the heck do you sell a guitar, anyway ?
« on: December 06, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
I am looking at thinning the herd and I have what sounds like a stupid question: How the heck do you go about selling a guitar? I have never done that. Obviously,  I am aware of this  Board  on the Forum  and I am aware of Reverb, although I am not  familiar with how it works, so  I have some homework to do there. But, it  seems that  there are a million guitars on that site plus  all the  new guitars out there. I just don't see  how anyone has success  selling a guitar for  a reasonable price. I have heard many of you say things like " I have bought and sold many guitars in my lifetime ... ", so I am seeking any advice anyone may have on the subject. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:16:46 PM by Guitar Cowboy »
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
Re: How the heck do you sell a guitar, anyway ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
Hey Cowboy.  The sooner you start...

It helps to have a good selling history, but everyone has to start somewhere. A meticulous and COMPLETE description, including any issues at all, and clear, closeup pics are most helpful.

Scroll down here to see my listing below, for example.

I always have an excellent Luthier check over my guitars and do a completely setup and any work needed at all first thing after getting them. Then they are as playable as possible and I get to enjoy them when dialed in.
Plus if and when I go to sell all is correct. Not always the case, sadly.

PM me for more, including questions to ask when buying (and answer when selling) and shipping tips.

I hope to help!

Best on this, and stay vigilant, well, and have FUN

Paul
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:54:15 PM by Guitars44me »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »
I probably take a different direction than most here. I don't want the hassle of dealing with people I don't know, playing the negotiation mind games, worrying about the shipping, insurance, etc, in the quest for getting top dollar on the sale. When it's time for a guitar to go, I want it to be swift and painless.

If you have a trusted FLGS that will do a consignment sale, I'd say go for it. I have done many consignments through my FLGS with 100% success in selling quickly and getting a decent dollar amount after their percentage. They have way more connections than I do and they ship worldwide. Just my opinion, based on my experience.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 01:08:05 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Guitars44me

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 11:47:38 AM »
Strumming Fool has a great point. I am semi retired and have plenty of time to futz with my instruments, as well as play them.
If I was more busy I would just find a store with a Killer reputation and a world wide customer base, and put it on consignment.  It would have to be a place where I was comfortable with the staff and the consignment process.
Do NOT just take it to a big box store and accept their offer!  Unless money is no issue...
Again, I hope these ideas help!

Salud

Paul

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 12:55:06 PM »
For me, the easiest way to sell guitars has been through Craigslist.  I prefer getting all the particulars out of the way via email, then meeting the person at a neutral, well-attended place.  If the person likes the guitar, they hand me the cash, I hand them the guitar, and it's done.  No shipping, no insurance, and no giving up at least 25% in consignment fees.

Having said that, I would wait until the end of Covid before I'd sell a guitar this way.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:56:51 PM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I do have a somewhat local  ( 1 hr and 15 minutes away) store I would trust based on their excellent reputation. So , I will talk to them about this. Is 25%  the usual consignment fee ? That seems high...  So,  if I have a $3000 guitar  in great condition. It may sell  for $2000 to $2400  based on Reverb prices and  net $1500 to $1800 ... OUCH!

That's equivalent to  selling an 800 series guitar and having to pony up another $500  to purchase a 300 series guitar. I'll say it again... OUCH! 

Craig's List may be an option to save consignment fees, but I live out in the sticks , so the chance of getting a reasonable offer is  probably  very low.

Thanks again  for the info.
Steve
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2016 GS mini-E Koa

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 06:11:20 PM »
I'm not sure what the usual consignment percentage is, but I have never paid that high a percentage. Here's another path: would you consider trading 2 or more instruments for another that you'd rather have? In that way, you don't worry as much about the dollar value, you get something you really want, and still reduce the herd. Just a thought....

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 09:05:16 PM »
SF, Funny you say that because that is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I have two guitars that I may be willing to let go ... and yes, I may be willing to trade them for that theoretical guitar that I  absolutely must have. But I have to admit that I am a little reluctant to trade a guitar I paid $3000 for plus a guitar I paid $1500 for  a guitar that retails for $2400. ... But maybe that’s what I need to do to get the guitar I want. ...
Steve
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2016 GS mini-E Koa

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 12:15:31 AM »
I'm not sure what the usual consignment percentage is, but I have never paid that high a percentage.

My dealer takes a 25% cut on consignments.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Guitars44me

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 10:58:14 AM »
Consignment costs.  Yep. Ouch. But it is a passel of hassle for the shop, just like if you did it yourself.

I believe 25% is pretty normal. Plus most dealers will list it on Reverb, eBay etc.  so there may be more costs as well. And it will probably need to be shipped. Plus the buyer will have to pay tax.  Eventually lots of guitars will end up being worth only a fraction of what they cost...  sigh.  But that is the way it goes, and sewers, roads and schools are worth having.

I live in the sticks too, so have never used Craig's List either, but if I was in a city I would sure give it a try!

The two for one trade up is a reasonable way to thin the herd and get a new one as well.

Hope you find just what you seek, and wind up with less case count!

Paul

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:13:06 PM by Guitars44me »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 02:28:28 PM »
SF, Funny you say that because that is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I have two guitars that I may be willing to let go ... and yes, I may be willing to trade them for that theoretical guitar that I  absolutely must have. But I have to admit that I am a little reluctant to trade a guitar I paid $3000 for plus a guitar I paid $1500 for  a guitar that retails for $2400. ... But maybe that’s what I need to do to get the guitar I want. ...

It might work. I once traded a guitar of higher value for a lesser priced guitar that I wanted, and got cash back! Best to see what they would offer before proceeding....

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »
Hey Cowboy,

You've got lots of good advice here already.  There are positives and negatives to online sales as well as local like CL. 

The obvious negs you've noted already about selling is true of commission on a store listing your guit, or the amassing fees you get nailed with through Reverb and ebay.  Having bought, sold, traded some over the decades, I will no longer ever sell a guitar online again as the costs and risks (particularly with shipping) simply kill it for me.  It wasn't always this expensive, but for whatever reasons, it has now become quite costly to sell/ship online (anything large and/or heavy, that is ...clearly I'm not referring to small gear).

The positives with a live sale is obvious: you save dough and it's a one and done.  But it is still not without its headaches, like someone showing up and trying to barter down after you've struck the deal, the gamesmanship of hemming and hawing ...ugh.  But each person has their own tolerance level for that sort of thing, so I'll leave that up to you to decide.

The bottom line with either method is to be super clear, redundant if need be, and obey your gut!  Anyone giving you a flakey or otherwise "iffy" vibe, simply cut bait and move on.  Personally, I don't mind buying a guit online ...do your due diligence and you'll do well.  Selling large gear is no longer anything I care to do which has created another plus for me: I'm even more discerning now about what guit or gear I may buy knowing that selling later will be a pain.  :)

Edward

dougdnh

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 03:02:36 PM »
I've bought and sold about a dozen guitars over the years, and in general Craigslist is the easiest. No commissions, no packing and mailing.  I live in a fairly rural area, but folks will often drive an hour or so if they are interested. Of course you might have to haggle a bit, but most guitar people are civilized. The covid thing makes indoor transactions tricky, but things can be figured out.
I've also used Reverb and Ebay to sell and never had a problem - make sure you are totally upfront about any negatives to avoid any hassles. Of course you will need to get a shipping container and be very careful packing. Also shop around for the best shipping rates - USPS, UPS & Fedex prices can vary based upon distance and weight.
2004 314ce
PRS Angelus
2000 Guild Bluesbird
Conn F-11
Gibson ES-175
vintage Harmony Vogue
vintage Harmony classical
Cort Matt Murphy
PRS SE-EG
vintage Hagstrom Viking

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 03:24:54 PM »
Thanks for all the advice an sharing your experiences everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.
Steve
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2016 GS mini-E Koa

AmericanEagle

• Veteran Member
  • <><
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 09:44:57 PM »
What does FLGS mean?