Author Topic: Mahogany 12 Fret BTO On The Way  (Read 5434 times)

Tammany Tiger

Mahogany 12 Fret BTO On The Way
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »

After over two years of research, rumination and false starts, I am finally scratching the small(er) guitar itch with a 12 fret BTO.

On Friday I ordered the following build:

-Twelve Fret GC, non-cutaway.
-No electronics.
-Mahogany back and sides.
-Mahogany top.
-All over Mahogany edgeburst.
-Bone saddle and nut.
-Three piece back with Ebony mini-wedge.
-Ebony binding.
-Off white purfling.
-Ebony single ring rosette.
-Ebony bound sound hole.
-Ebony slot head overlay.
-Blank finger board.
-All black ebony bridge pins.
-No end or strap pin.

This guitar is my third BTO build with Guitar Rodeo. As usual, Jim was easy and fun to work with. He is a tremendous resource with many insights into the BTO process. He really joins in the fun of putting one of these guitars together on paper.   

Watch this space.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:01:21 AM by Tammany Tiger »

MRMTAYGA

Re: Mahogany 12 Fret BTO On The Way
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »
Congratulations!! That is going to be one fine guitar to look at and play. I'm sure you'll love it.

2012 Taylor BTO 12 Fret Cocobolo/Sinker
2009 Taylor 714 Spring LTD Madagascar/Sitka
2008 Taylor DN8

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:08:36 AM »
Nice going, Tammany!  It's easy to see that you put a lot of thought into this guitar.  You went for a simple but elegant look which I'm sure will be outstanding.  The mahogany tone will be wonderful, too.

You're allowed two glasses of wine tonight!
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

bigb

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »
3rd BTO, wow that's awesome, congrats!
Sounds like it will be a beauty in tone and looks.
Do they not have end pins you like or do you just not use them?

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »
Do they not have end pins you like or do you just not use them?

Both actually.

The standard Taylor end pin is so big that you need to enlarge the end of any guitar strap except those made by Taylor (at least that has been the case on my acoustic/electrics). I want the flexibility to put on a smaller pin if I decide that I need one. If so, it will be an ivory colored pin to match the tuning buttons and bridge.

Most likely I will go without. This is a sit on the couch guitar. I always play seated any way and rarely play out. We'll see how things go before drilling any unnecessary holes.

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
Congratulations!! That is going to be one fine guitar to look at and play. I'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks for the nice comment.

Absolutely as a matter of coincidence, I opened the latest Wood & Steel this weekend after ordering the guitar and saw that an all mahogany edgeburst 12 fret GC with black binding is shown as an example of a BTO. The same picture is on the Taylor website BTO page (below). At least Taylor must think that this is a good idea!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:18:42 AM by Tammany Tiger »

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:46:55 PM »
That sounds really yummy.....

My All Mahogany BTO GC is really a steller player. Not a 12 fretter so I'll be wanting to "hear" how you like it when it comes in.

What's the estimated build time on this one?

Gary
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »
That sounds really yummy.....

My All Mahogany BTO GC is really a steller player. Not a 12 fretter so I'll be wanting to "hear" how you like it when it comes in.

What's the estimated build time on this one?

Gary
Eight to ten weeks.

I flirted with an all mahogany 14 fret GC last year but never did anything about it before it was too late and the guitar went home with some else. Later, when I played a twelve fret, I knew that it was what I wanted.

I owned a stellar 512ce Limited several years ago and foolishly let it get away. Jim has never let me hear the last of that one. He opined today though that this one will be a better guitar because of the 12 fret design, advances in bracing, and the relief rout. The appointments and finish on this one are also an improvement.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:05:30 AM by Tammany Tiger »

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »
Very very cool!
I would really like to see pictures when it comes in!  I like your choices of appointments, less blingy, more woody.
 :)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:02:54 PM »
Can't wait to see how this guitar turns out.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Satsuki

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »
Beautiful guitar!

Taylor814

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »
Sounds like a great guitar. I also have a mahogany 12 fret, and I tried for the more woody, less bling approach as well with rosewood binding, rosette and backstrap. After I received the guitar I wondered if ebony wouldn't have been a better choice due to the greater contrast, so I'll be eager to see pictures when you get it. A mahogany 12-fret is a fun guitar to play, especially fingerstyle blues. The tone is very mellow and extremely balanced. Hope you enjoy it.

Larry

Cocobolo GC 2008 Fall Limited Edition
NS62c cocobolo
2012 12-Fret GCce-FLTD
Paragon cocobolo/cedar GOM
Tacoma JM1612C

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
hi taylor814,
good to see you here :)
WELCOME !thanks for sharing pics of your BTO 12 fret M with us -
i really like the figuring on the top, the unstained neck backstrap, tuners, buttons & rosette ... very nice :)
i was wondering if those are replacement buttons on the tuners (waverlys ???) & if the rosette is
interlocking (pieces cut on a curved 'angle') or, if it has 'straight-cut' pieces (similar to abalone)

that's a great looking guitar & i'll bet the tone matches its looks 8)
enjoy the place & please make yourself comfortable :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:18:27 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:17:36 AM »
Sounds like a great guitar. I also have a mahogany 12 fret, and I tried for the more woody, less bling approach as well with rosewood binding, rosette and backstrap. After I received the guitar I wondered if ebony wouldn't have been a better choice due to the greater contrast, so I'll be eager to see pictures when you get it. A mahogany 12-fret is a fun guitar to play, especially fingerstyle blues. The tone is very mellow and extremely balanced. Hope you enjoy it.

That's a fantastic looking guitar and I am sure that it sounds great. The rosette is terrific.

I really toyed with the idea of rosewood binding and probably would have gone that way except for wanting that edgeburst finish. The black accents just seem to go better with the burst.

Like Michael, I am also interested in knowing whether those tuning buttons are after market. I actually started a thread on the subject here: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=1004.msg8094#msg8094

Thanks for sharing pictures of that great guitar.

Taylor814

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments. The tuners are Waverly Snakewood tuners from Stew-Mac. They fit perfectly in the Taylor slothead with the same screw holes. They look fantastic, but be aware that they are 16:1 ratio vs. 18:1 on the Taylor's. I originally put them on my 2008 Fall Limited, but decided they looked better on the mahogany BTO instead.

(http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_slotted_peghead_tuners/Waverly_Slotted_Peghead_Guitar_Tuners/Waverly_Guitar_Tuners_with_Snakewood_Knobs,_for_Slotted_Pegheads.html)
Larry

Cocobolo GC 2008 Fall Limited Edition
NS62c cocobolo
2012 12-Fret GCce-FLTD
Paragon cocobolo/cedar GOM
Tacoma JM1612C