Author Topic: Pickup for 912C  (Read 442 times)

Gweetarpicker

Pickup for 912C
« on: August 10, 2020, 05:15:08 PM »
I have a 1996 912C and was considering adding electronics to it.  Any experience or suggestions (Baggs anthem, Fishman matrix. etc.)?

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Pickup for 912C
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 05:47:05 PM »
I have had great success with the LR Baggs Lyric on five of my seven Taylors. (The other two each have the ES 1.3 system.) Simple to use, non-invasive and completely reversible. Recently did a recording and the engineer was blown away by the pure acoustic sound. I have also played in plugged in venues with excellent results. Your 90s 912 deserves to have its sweet sound authenticly reproduced.Hope this helps.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 12:41:29 PM »
I can’t vouch for the reversibility aspect, but I’m really impressed with tone and unobtrusive nature of the Baggs anthem Installed on my Martin D-18E.  I think it is less obtrusive than the ES2, and it’s blended microphone gives it a better plugged in sound - although to be fair I can adjust the EQ of either to achieve a tone I find equally pleasing.  There is a new Fishman pickup (it has aura in the name) that is Supposedly even better than the anthem

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »
Do you fingerpick only?  Play some or lots with your pick?  General style is lighter attack, heavier strumming, or a balance of both?

The reason I ask is LR Baggs makes great sounding stuff, but choose according to your use.  IMHO, the Lyric is fine for lighter attack, solo/duo gigs, and quieter venues.  The Anthem (and Anthem SL) is much better for full band use, louder gigs, or otherwise more "aggressive" playing or presence, and is also a good deal more tonally versatile than the Lyric.

No experience with Fishman, so others may chime in there.

Edward

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »
I LOVE the K&K pure mini.  Weighs almost nothing, mounts underneath the bridge plate, and does NOT touch the bridge Saddle so no "quack". No preamp or battery needed in the axe. 

These sound GREAT and many collectors use them to avoid mods to instruments.

Completely reversible to stock in a Taylor since the end pin is pre drilled for a pup.

If you need a boost the Red Eye is super simple, and sounds great.

KISS,  for me.  Less stuff in my guitar the better, but I would like to be able to plug in!

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 11:34:31 PM »
I've had both the lyric (it was great, especially for recording) in a GS8 and the K&K pure mini in both my 514 and gs mini.  I agree with strumming fool and guitars44me about both being great.  I also like the simplicity and non invasiveness of both.  What I would really love to do is combine them together!  But I will say that the k&k is amazing, though I do use their pre-amp/d.i. which I think brings a lot of clarity to its tone. 

You will need a sound hole cover for either in loud situations though...
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Hippy

• "To Live Outside the Law You Must Be Honest"
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 09:27:34 PM »
I have a 1996 912C and was considering adding electronics to it.  Any experience or suggestions (Baggs anthem, Fishman matrix. etc.)?

I have a 1996 912C that I had Taylor install an ES-2 on.
Well... it's not bad, but the older ES-1 sounds better to me. I really do appreciate the tone & vol knobs on the ES. While it certainly does not sound as good as a microphone on recordings, I can always make it sound great playing live. Never an issue with feedback and I can dial in the tone and volume right there on the guitar.
1983 610 (old & worn)
1996 912 (slick & fancy)
2013 150e (easy 12)
1993 baby (backpacker)
2020 custom GC