Author Topic: 214ce-K DLX Bridge pins change.  (Read 1286 times)

Sybo

214ce-K DLX Bridge pins change.
« on: June 22, 2020, 06:26:56 AM »
  I really love this guitar, and not only is it a looker, but it’s got a great sound, but,  I find my particular guitar is not quite bright as I would wish. Do bridge pins of a different material really make a difference?  Can I get some suggestions please!!

Bigwave

Re: 214ce-K DLX Bridge pins change.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 01:28:47 PM »
I would suggest trying different strings before bridge pins. Maybe try the Elixir 80/20 bronze.

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 03:18:50 PM »
I agree with the string change ideal. One other easy option to consider that is often overlooked is your pick. Usually thinner= brighter.  Try it- you might be pleasantly surprised!
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 03:21:53 PM »
I think of all the things you can do to try to change tone, swapping out bridge pins is probably the least effective.  I’d buy a few sets of strings — coated and uncoated — to compare the type of tone they deliver.  Not sure if you use a flat pick or not, but if you do, you could also try a different pick material.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 11:51:52 AM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 06:29:25 PM »
If you like the strings you currently use, then a bridge pin change is a relatively inexpensive and reversible change you may want to try. I have heard a successive improvement in a guitar's tonal presence in going from ebony to buffalo horn to bone.  (You can also do this without changing your strings to get a fair comparison.) Some say they can't hear the difference, but I certainly can. You may also consider changing the saddle to bone as well. To my ear it seems to "sharpen" the tone a bit. However, I have not considered it to be the best alternative to a Tusq saddle in all instances. I'm personally not a fan of the Micarta saddles that Taylor currently uses on most models.
Have fun experimenting!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

CaptainRaven40

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 11:42:52 AM »
I changed out the bridge pins on my 114e from the plastic to buffalo horn. Other than they look a lot better I could really tell no difference in tone. Maybe if I had recorded before and after samples I might be able to hear something minor. For me it was more of the looks of the pins I liked. I was just going to put the Taylor ebony pins in, but the shop didn't currently have any. They did have the buffalo horn pins and they cut me a good deal on them since they were sold out of the ebony. It is an inexpensive thing to try and change the tone, but I think trying different strings would be an option that you will get stronger results from. Just my two cents.

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 12:38:45 PM »
Andy Powers provided a video earlier this year that discussed the impact of changing bridge pins - his view is that it is all about the fit or the lack thereof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPS8zfvIBFc

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 03:38:12 PM »
Andy Powers provided a video earlier this year that discussed the impact of changing bridge pins - his view is that it is all about the fit or the lack thereof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPS8zfvIBFc

Interesting perspective - what I derive from this video is that I might be getting a better fit from the Bob Colosi pins (whether bone or buffalo horn) than the ebony pins the guitar came with. In any case, I do hear a difference that pleases my ear. To each, his or her own....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood