Author Topic: NGD- Taylor BTO Sinker!  (Read 9605 times)

prusaw

NGD- Taylor BTO Sinker!
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »
UPS says those words all near and dear to our hearts--- "on vehicle for delivery today!"

Usually doesn't come until 5-6.... waiting on pins and needles :-)

You're gonna wanna see this one...  ;D

mescobar

Re: NGD- Taylor BTO Sinker!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:56:01 AM »
I know you must be excited.
Sinker redwood is one of my favorites!!
I hope it's everything your expecting and more.
Taylors:
Custom GACE 12 fret (All Hog)
Custom GA (Sinker/Hog)
Custom DN (Adi/Rose)
LTD GACE 12 fret (Koa)
T5C2 (M.Ebony)
616ce (Maple)
PS16CE (Coco)

Others:
Martin Bellezza Bianca
Breedlove Phoenix
Martin Custom 000-18GE
Martin OMCE Mahogany
PRS Starla
PRS Artist V
PRS ME Quatro

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
I hope your sinker BTO turns out to be at least as good as mine.  Mine is just fabulous and it's pretty much the only guitar I play now.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

MRMTAYGA

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Congratulations!!! Mr. UPS man just delievered my Sinker/Coco 12 Fret this morning. Can't look at it until I'm off a conference call................ Work................

Post pictures when you get a chance please.

edited for language

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:32:58 PM by michaelw »
2012 Taylor BTO 12 Fret Cocobolo/Sinker
2009 Taylor 714 Spring LTD Madagascar/Sitka
2008 Taylor DN8

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »
I demand pictures ;D  I can't wait to get a glimpse of your new guitar.  It sounds like it will be amazing.  Congrats.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

mea1970

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 03:01:21 PM »
congrats! and having just ordered my sinker bto, i can't wait to se yours!!!!
-----------------------------
'12 Taylor GC Macassar Ebony/Sinker
'11 Taylor GS Mini
'83 Les Paul
Ron Kirn custom Telecaster
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Signature
Reverend PA-1 hollow body

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »
UPS says those words all near and dear to our hearts--- "on vehicle for delivery today!"

Usually doesn't come until 5-6.... waiting on pins and needles :-)

You're gonna wanna see this one...  ;D

Can't wait to see pictures. I would love to hear about your BTO experience and how you ended up with this combination.

temporaryalias

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:28:15 AM »
Just read your thread over on AGF, man I hope you are feeling better about things. I can't wait to see pics. Everyone is getting thier sinkers today. Mine will be here later this month. Dialing down expectations in 5,4,3...
Taylor 416ce 2011
Taylor BTO EIR/Sinker GC on the way!

prusaw

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 02:05:03 AM »
Nice guitar, but I'm very disappointed in the "premium" woods-- very standard looking to me.  After waiting this long and paying this much I wanted much more than a glorified 400 series Taylor.

Here's a link to more thoughts and pix.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240769&page=2

temporaryalias

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »
Give it a while, it really is a beauty. 
Taylor 416ce 2011
Taylor BTO EIR/Sinker GC on the way!

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »
Sorry that you are disappointed with the appearance but that is one of the finest pieces of Sinker that I have ever seen. Really, I don't know how it could get any better.

I am a little confused about the back. That wood too is absolutely gorgeous--much prettier than most of the Ovankol that I see. I have never heard of a "flame Ovankol" and don't see that option on the BTO sheet. Did Taylor charge for "flame"? The wood they gave you really looks like a premium piece. The even grain is very unusual in this wood and frankly should be better tonally than something with the typical uneven figuring in most Ovankol. The coco wedge is stunning. Tone and playability are the most important and the diciest part of a BTO. Be careful before kissing this beauty good bye.

Overall, this is an absolutely magnificient guitar and it's great that you like the tone and playabilty. If you are really disappointed with the looks I am pretty certain you can return it to Taylor but I would not be hasty. I cannot imagine getting a prettier guitar in this combination. It is much, much more than a 400 series Taylor (no Sinker or coco on those, after all).

Except for the size of the nut, I would take this guitar off of your hands no questions asked. It really, really is stunning in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:14:28 PM by Tammany Tiger »

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:56:54 AM »
Amen to the post above. That ovangkol reminds me of the high grade rosewood they use and I much prefer the grain of yours to the one linked in your AGF post. The sinker and ovangkol seem to match really really well and I have no doubt that was a consideration when selecting the woods for your guitar.

And call me crazy but that case looks nicer than the standard brown ones I've seen. Shows your guitar off better too IMO.

Everything about this guitar says "custom" and would exceed my expectations for redwood/ovangkol if I had been the one ordering. Plus you love the way it sounds and plays, right? I think you've got a winner. Keep it and love it and post some new pictures here on the UTGF when you've settled in a bit. :)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

prusaw

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
You guys are making me feel better-- thanks :-)  I think I just need some more time.  I don't hate the ovangkol, I just expected something different.

Playing the guitar is such a wonderful experience I know it will end up being fine....

MRMTAYGA

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »
Just went and looked at the pictures. In my opinion this one of the best Ovangkol guitars I have ever seen. Certainly the most unique to my eyes. The set of wood you got sets it apart. I understand expectations can be tough to overcome. However please believe that this is a special looking guitar. From what you said it plays wonderfully so that is what matters most right? You've got a definite winner here.

2012 Taylor BTO 12 Fret Cocobolo/Sinker
2009 Taylor 714 Spring LTD Madagascar/Sitka
2008 Taylor DN8

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
You guys are making me feel better-- thanks :-)  I think I just need some more time.  I don't hate the ovangkol, I just expected something different.

Playing the guitar is such a wonderful experience I know it will end up being fine....

Glad to hear this. You would be making a massive mistake saying good bye to that guitar.