Author Topic: Now I really like my 814ce  (Read 4347 times)

redsnapper

Now I really like my 814ce
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
I removed the original Elixer 80/20 Nanos and put a set of John Pearse phosphor bronze 600Ls on my new 814ce. I’m shocked at the improvement in sound and feel. It is like somebody breathed a bit of soul into the guitar. I had been kind of disappointed with the guitar. No more. Now it is a keeper.

pieterh

• English living by the sea in Sweden
Re: Now I really like my 814ce
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:49:39 AM »
It's always worth experimenting with different strings, on any guitar. My Guild likes D'Addario EXPs, and my Taylor sounds great with Martin Lifespan p/b strings. I'll gladly use Elixir when I can't get Cleartone-treated strings, but they're not my favourites.
Taylor 414CE
plus some others

Satsuki

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:27:08 AM »
Did you find them stiffer than the 80/20's?

redsnapper

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »
I do not find them stiffer than the 80/20s. In fact the feel is much, much better.  Before I changed the guitar felt a bit stiff / sterile / cold. The strings  seem to mellow out the whole guitar.  I bought some DR Rares to try as well and I'm anxious to see what I get from them whenever I change the JPs out.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »
I do not find them stiffer than the 80/20s. In fact the feel is much, much better.  Before I changed the guitar felt a bit stiff / sterile / cold. The strings  seem to mellow out the whole guitar.  I bought some DR Rares to try as well and I'm anxious to see what I get from them whenever I change the JPs out.

I tried about eight or ten types of strings on my 814 before I discovered DR Rares.  No other string even comes close to delivering the bottom end and clarity that those strings seem to provide.  If you don't mind changing them more often than you would a coated string, you just might feel the same way I do.  But string tonality is in the ear of the beholder.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

redsnapper

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »

I tried about eight or ten types of strings on my 814 before I discovered DR Rares.  No other string even comes close to delivering the bottom end and clarity that those strings seem to provide.  If you don't mind changing them more often than you would a coated string, you just might feel the same way I do.  But string tonality is in the ear of the beholder.

I understand the Rares have less tension. Did you encounter any setup issues?

The coated Elixir 80/20s were the first coated strings I've played on an acoustic or an electric. I'm not impressed. I will probably try the Elixir PB at some point but tone is the most important thing for me.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »

I understand the Rares have less tension. Did you encounter any setup issues?

The coated Elixir 80/20s were the first coated strings I've played on an acoustic or an electric. I'm not impressed. I will probably try the Elixir PB at some point but tone is the most important thing for me.

No setup issues, and I'm not aware of any difference in tension.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Roseadi

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 11:47:17 AM »
I have used DR Rares, and currently use Newtone MC, both of which are roundcore. I have no set up issues and I can feel a difference with slightly less tension. I much prefer the feel of roundcores. Can't comment on how DR's would sound on an 814 since my only Taylor is a 714 with cedar top.

In any case, the only adjustment might be a slight truss rod tweek, but I doubt that would necessary.
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »

I have the same impression of the Elixer Nanoweb 80/20's - which is not very impressed. They were also the first coated string I have ever used. I think they sound good, but I don't like the way they feel, and after only a few weeks the B string is peeling at the C note (second fret) and over the sound hole. I much prefer the D'Addario EJ16's and am getting ready to try a set of D'Addario EXP16's, then 19's.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
Trying different strings is a great way to discover just how nice your guitar can sound! I also am not a huge fan of Elixirs, or at least I should say that I think D'Addario PB strings sound better than Elixirs on both my GC-5 and Voyage Air. On my Martins, I've discovered that the D'Addarios are not as nice as a couple of the Martin-branded styles.

Strings (and picks) are an easy and inexpensive way to try out different sounds.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.