Author Topic: PLEASE RESIZE YOUR PHOTOS!!!  (Read 912 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
PLEASE RESIZE YOUR PHOTOS!!!
« on: April 05, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »
I didn't know where to post this, so I'm trying here first and then I'll move it if this gets no traffic.

Everyone love pictures. Unfortunately, given the nature of digital photography, editing is almost always required. Not the least of these edits is with regards to the size of the photo.

I've mentioned this countless times in the past but, more often than not, it appears, it falls on deaf ears. So, now, instead of just saying that a photo should be resized, I'll show you why.

Someone posted a thread about tuners for a GS Mini. The poster included a "thumbnail" (which is useless for detail) of the guitar. Upon clicking on the thumbnail and scrolling to the bottom of the photo, though, the reader sees this:

That's not all too surprising, I suppose, when you consider that the photo dimensions are 3024x4032 pixels.

A mere 30 seconds in Photoshop, and resizing the photo to 600x800 pixels, gave me this view of that exact same photo:

It's a simple thing to do, and it makes viewing photos so much more enjoyable. In the case of the above photo, I had to scroll all the way to the left to get to where I thought the tuners would be, and then scroll down. Well, the tuners were still not in the frame, so I had to scroll all the way back over to the left, scroll down, and hope I successfully got them on the screen.

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease resize your photos!
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

jpmist

• Soundcloud
Re: PLEASE RESIZE YOUR PHOTOS!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 10:55:29 AM »
So, on a Mac you open your picture in the Preview application, go to the Tools menu at the top of the screen and select Adjust Size . . .

Then at the top of the window that just opened you'll see Fit into:  – 640 x 480 is a good choice, but 800 x 600 will work also.

If your picture came from a digital camera check the resolution which should be 72

Hit OK, then save it and you'll have a picture that will fit great in any guitar forum browser

On a PC? I dunno, but I'm sure it's a similar process.
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:01:06 AM »
You regularly get fired up about this. I really don't understand your obsession with this issue.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 11:46:19 AM »
You regularly get fired up about this. I really don't understand your obsession with this issue.

Well, it's twofold.

First, I like to be able to see what someone is trying to show me. If you look at the first picture I posted in this thread, you'll see whoever posted that only accomplished showing a very small sliver of the guitar. What good is that?

Second, I'm a professional photographer, so I understand how monumentally simple it is to resize the photo so it can be seen in its entirety...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 01:54:39 PM »
I've been on this forum for years, and have never had a problem viewing any posted photos. I'm not sure that it's been a problem for anyone else until you joined . Some members are more technically adept than others, so I say live and let live.  It's all about perspective, if you'll pardon the pun...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 02:25:09 PM »
I've been on this forum for years, and have never had a problem viewing any posted photos. I'm not sure that it's been a problem for anyone else until you joined . Some members are more technically adept than others, so I say live and let live.  It's all about perspective, if you'll pardon the pun...

Look at the first photo I posted. That's what displays on my monitor, which is right about 23" or so. I'd darn near need a movie screen to see the entire picture.

When one tries to scroll, where are the scroll bars? On the bottom and the side. You can't easily see anything more than just a small piece of the photo.

Strumming Fool, do you mean to tell me that the first image I posted shows a perfectly acceptable display of an image?

he very small thumbnails are shown in their entirety but, again, they're thumbnails, which are largely useless when trying to look at smaller details of a guitar.

Are you saying that when you click the thumbnail you get the photo, it its entirety, on your computer screen? I would need to see that to believe it.

And I honestly don't see a reason to say "live and let live". People are posting photos that I'd really like to see, but can't, simply because they won't take the very simple step of resizing the photo and making it smaller. Maybe you just don't understand the simplicity of that action. I could darn near do it in my sleep...

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »
Trying to control others actions ends up in failure.
Post a tutorial sticky and let it go.
:D Danny
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:58:17 PM by woodnut »
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini koa
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini Rosewood
Custom Taylor 412ce 12 fret Ovankol with Koa bindings

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 03:26:18 PM »
Trying to control others actions ends up in failure.
Post a tutorial sticky and let it go.
:D Danny

Well, there's more than one problem with that.

First, the controls for resizing a photo differ from program to program. Well, that's an assumption on my part, because I only use one program. I can't offer a tutorial for any other program.

Second, I can't post a sticky here.

If it's something that you're not concerned with, that's fine, but that doesn't mean the concern is invalid...

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »

Look at the first photo I posted. That's what displays on my monitor, which is right about 23" or so. I'd darn near need a movie screen to see the entire picture.

When one tries to scroll, where are the scroll bars? On the bottom and the side. You can't easily see anything more than just a small piece of the photo.

Strumming Fool, do you mean to tell me that the first image I posted shows a perfectly acceptable display of an image?

The very small thumbnails are shown in their entirety but, again, they're thumbnails, which are largely useless when trying to look at smaller details of a guitar.

Are you saying that when you click the thumbnail you get the photo, it its entirety, on your computer screen? I would need to see that to believe it.

And I honestly don't see a reason to say "live and let live". People are posting photos that I'd really like to see, but can't, simply because they won't take the very simple step of resizing the photo and making it smaller. Maybe you just don't understand the simplicity of that action. I could darn near do it in my sleep...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 06:24:33 PM »
Yes I do understand and do it all the time. As you can see on your first picture, the scroll bars are at the bottom and on the right. If someone posts a picture that's too large to see in its entirety, I simply scroll to see what I want to see. Honestly, I've noted that you have complained about photos being too large on many posted pictures that are perfectly sized for my viewing, so I'm not sure how you're accessing them. In any case, it's just not a big deal for me. Others can chime in, but I have never that this has been a problem for anyone else on this forum before. Sorry...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 07:27:16 PM »
Yes I do understand and do it all the time. As you can see on your first picture, the scroll bars are at the bottom and on the right. If someone posts a picture that's too large to see in its entirety, I simply scroll to see what I want to see. Honestly, I've noted that you have complained about photos being too large on many posted pictures that are perfectly sized for my viewing, so I'm not sure how you're accessing them. In any case, it's just not a big deal for me. Others can chime in, but I have never that this has been a problem for anyone else on this forum before. Sorry...

Well, when someone posts a gigantic photo, and I have to scroll to the bottom of it so I can scroll over and hope I hit the right mark, that's a problem.

It's wonderful it's not a problem for you. It is, and has been, for me, and it's ridiculously simple to resize a photo...

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »
I think you are over-reacting and it seems to kill the mood of a NGD post. But that's just my opinion.

You can say it once or you can say it a thousand times. We get it.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 11:19:08 PM »
I think you are over-reacting and it seems to kill the mood of a NGD post. But that's just my opinion.

You can say it once or you can say it a thousand times. We get it.

Well, imagine how nice it will be when people start resizing their photos!

I honestly don't understand the resistance to it. It's simple to do and make viewing the forum more enjoyable.

What's the issue?

That's neither here nor there. I'll be writing a tutorial this week...