Author Topic: Please explain the new catalog  (Read 4869 times)

Jannie

Please explain the new catalog
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
I was wondering about Dreads so I clicked Body Shape. This is the order of the photos and descriptions of the first page and there are at least 9 more pages to go through guitar by guitar. Can anyone please explain this logic:

The first of at least 9 pages, in this order.
316ce
710ce
810ce
812ce
814ce
GS Mini
712ce-N
714ce
816ce

Where is the freaking logic????

And can anyone tell me what the nut width of a DN4 is? I don't want to even think about this guitar if it's not 1 3/4".

Jannie

Re: Please explain the new catalog
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »
Musicians Friend lists it as 1 3/4" nut with medium strings. Would putting Light strings on this guitar kill it?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:53:52 PM »
hi Jannie,
i believe that the opening page that shows 9 guitars when Shape is selected
is meant to show the most 'popular' guitars, which i believe may still require
some restructuring, as the 316ce is brand new for 2012, as is the 712ce-N

i went on to Taylor's website, rolled over 'Guitars" & clicked on 'by Shape' -
i then clicked on 'Dreadnought' & then on page 2, in order to find the DN4

alternately, if one is searching for a specific model, it can be inputted into
the search bar which is directly above the 'Home' & 'Guitars' buttons,
then click on the magnifying glass & then on the clicking on the model

the specifications do not currently show the scale length (which is 25.5"), the nut width
(which is 1 3/4") or the strings (Elixir NanoWeb 80/20 medium .013 - .056) on the DN4 -
suggestions have been made to include this information, along with other technical info

it is possible to put light gauge strings '.012 - .053 on the DN4 & it may require a minor
truss rod adjustment to add some neck relief, but there is likely to be a bit of loss in
overall volume & projection, as the DN series is designed to be used with mediums

depending on one's playing style (an aggressive strummer or flat-picking with a heavy 'attack'),
medium gauge strings may  produce the 'best' results in terms of 'getting the top moving',
but light gauge strings will by no means 'kill it' - although, using mediums on a model such as
a 12 fret GC would not be recommended, as the increase in tension could  actually inhibit the
movement & vibration of the top, as that guitar is braced & designed for light gauge strings

i hope this info is helpful

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jannie

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
Yes, very helpful. I'm loving my GC3 but was wondering about something with more boom to add to the GC3. But I really don't want to fret medium strings, I'm old enough that it takes a very long time to get stronger, think in terms of X10 and knowing this I think I'll just skip the idea. I do wonder about the 12 fret with the cedar top, not sure how much that would add. I'm spending this next month playing only with a pick, this is new for me and I'm doing it because of the clarity and volume control compared to fingerstyle on my GC3, lovely sound, just need more oompf.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »
Jannie,

In general, a 12-fret will add a not insignificant amount of warmth and volume relative to your GC3 which, by the way, is a fine guitar.  Regarding the 12-fret, Bob Taylor likens the lowered position of the bridge to the difference between striking a drum off-center (a 14-fret guitar) to striking one dead center (a 12-fret).  When I compare my 12-fret to my 814, I tend to agree with him.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »
I was wondering about Dreads so I clicked Body Shape. This is the order of the photos and descriptions of the first page and there are at least 9 more pages to go through guitar by guitar. Can anyone please explain this logic:

316ce
710ce
810ce
812ce
814ce
GS Mini
712ce-N
714ce
816ce

And can anyone tell me what the nut width of a DN4 is? I don't want to even think about this guitar if it's not 1 3/4".

I agree completely. This is my biggest problem with the new website. It seems totally random to me and requires a user to click through endless pages of disorganized material. The old site was very logically organized and the structure allowed a person unfamiliar with Taylor to understand the relationships between various shapes, woods and trim levels. All of that seems to have been lost in the new site. I have been a dedicated Taylor owner for over a decade and have a firm understanding of their line. Still, I was and remain completely befuddled about how to find anything on the new site without clicking around until I stumble across what I am looking for.

The new site probably won't make any difference about whether I will buy a Taylor guitar in the future. I am not sure that the same can be said of someone new to the brand. People who do not already understand what guitars Taylor offers will not find much help on this new site and that might discourage a sale. This is a problem for Taylor unless they fix the organization of the site.

No one should have to explain on these threads how to find things on the Taylor site. If it is not obvious from the site itself, then the site is broken. Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:34:50 PM by Tammany Tiger »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:01:27 AM »

316ce
710ce
810ce
812ce
814ce
GS Mini
712ce-N
714ce
816ce

I agree completely. This is my biggest problem with the new website. It seems totally random to me and requires a user to click through endless pages of disorganized material. The old site was very logically organized and the structure allowed a person unfamiliar with Taylor to understand the relationships between various shapes, woods and trim levels. All of that seems to have been lost in the new site. I have been a dedicated Taylor owner for over a decade and have a firm understanding of their line. Still, I was and remain completely befuddled about how to find anything on the new site without clicking around until I stumble across what I am looking for.

The new site probably won't make any difference about whether I will buy a Taylor guitar in the future. I am not sure that the same can be said of someone new to the brand. People who do not already understand what guitars Taylor offers will not find much help on this new site and that might discourage a sale. This is a problem for Taylor unless they fix the organization of the site.

No one should have to explain on these threads how to find things on the Taylor site. If it is not obvious from the site itself, then the site is broken. Just my thoughts.

thoughts well taken,
however, seeing that Taylor is willing to share & reveal things here (NAMM pics & the new line)
i believe that they deserve our respect, especially when it has been made perfectly clear that
the website will continue to be modified, additions made, items removed & refined as needed

Hey folks - this is just the launch version.

It's built on a new platform that we can modify, add, delete, etc.

We will be adding all of the old research content over the next weeks/months. Just like our guitars, the new site will be refined and maximized to deliver the best experience and information possible.

Thanks,
B
true, the navigation system is different than the previous site &, for now, the content is as well -
i decided to put the steps that i followed to find the specs on the DN4, which there are several
ways to do this, & mapped out the course in the same way that i felt Jannie was trying to use &
in terms of the nut width, i noticed earlier that it was omitted, which was noted in a previous post

i will forward this information to Shannon as well, because from the title of the thread, it is not
outwardly apparent that the discussion is pertaining to the website until it is opened & read, as
he is open to our input, including what could be improved upon & what is currently missing

Hopefully the Taylor folks are reading these comments.
We are. :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:16:03 PM »
Granted, the website is a work in progress and will no doubt improve with constructive criticism.  But just above the seemingly random windows with various models is a list of ways to sort the list.  Like the Gibson website, Taylor chose popularity as the default first page.  You can sort by shape, wood, series, and category as well as popularity.  Those pretty much cover it if you ask me.  My initial impression was that the list is wacky as well until you realize how it's sorted.
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

Jannie

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
Well then I'll look at that front page with a new light and go see what is the most popular. Thanks!

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »
Does seem to take some getting used to...