Author Topic: Coronavirus/Covid-19  (Read 5933 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
Coronavirus/Covid-19
« on: March 09, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »
Surprised there isn't a thread about this already.

I was at the recent CPAC conference up in Maryland last weekend. I was working the event, and met Senator Ted Cruz backstage.

I just found out he's decided to self-quarantine himself because someone he met there and spoke with has tested positive for exposure to the virus.

I'm hoping the fact that I met him early Thursday morning might work in my favor!
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Taylor224

• Veteran Member
Re: Coronavirus/Covid-19
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 11:26:23 AM »
Being a transplant patient I always follow what they are now suggesting.  Wash hands, sanitize, keep social distance and run the other way when someone coughs.  I would only be concerned about the CPAC event, not zombie crazy, just aware.
“I’m gonna be a happy idiot, and struggle for the legal tender”

1982 Washburn D10CE/B
2019 Taylor 224CE-K DLX
2019 Taylor 214CE
Guild D1212 12 String

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »
yikes!!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

AmericanEagle

• Veteran Member
  • <><
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 07:56:19 AM »
Boston cancelled it’s famous St. Patrick’s Day parade due to virus concerns.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:22:15 AM »
You know, I've gotta come down on the side of the argument that the fears over coronavirus are largely misplaced, and have been blown out of proportion relative to the severity of the virus.  Professional sports leagues are now suspending their seasons; yet so far, the number of severe cases and deaths resulting from the virus are a fraction of 1% of the population -- even in China, where the disease apparently originated.  OK, admittedly China's reports about just about everything -- including the number of internal conronavirus cases -- should be taken with a grain of salt; but elsewhere (Europe, North America), I -- so far -- haven't seen a pandemic forming...

Yes, I realize everything, including bubonic plague, started small.  And it's always prudent to be cautious when dealing with something new.  But even today I read a news article reporting on the 'pandemic;' then in almost the same breath, it described the symptoms of a mild infection -- which the article admitted would be the result for the majority of those who contract the virus -- as "cold- or flu-like" and that some might not even display symptoms at all (yeah, yeah, I know:  Typhoid Mary...).  For all I know, I may have had the coronavirus back in November/December when I came down with something that wasn't quite a cold and wasn't quite the flu; I felt generally crummy for about five days, but it didn't interrupt my daily routine much.  I upped my intake of Vitamin C and plowed forward, still among the living...

Every report I've read on this virus to date says basically the same thing:  those most likely to develop a severe infection are those with other risk factors that have either taxed or compromised the immune system, like cancer, HIV, being elderly over 65, diabetes, heart disease, chronic lung disease, chronic kidney disease, or taking immunosuppressive medications (like "Taylor224").  Everybody else should be cautious -- if for no other reasons than to avoid passing around the virus (after all, who wants to be even a little bit sick...?) -- but go about their normal routines.  And, like the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy reminds us ("in large, friendly letters on the cover"):  Don't Panic! ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 11:49:30 AM »

You know, I've gotta come down on the side of the argument that the fears over coronavirus are largely misplaced, and have been blown out of proportion relative to the severity of the virus.  Professional sports leagues are now suspending their seasons; yet so far, the number of severe cases and deaths resulting from the virus are a fraction of 1% of the population -- even in China, where the disease apparently originated.  OK, admittedly China's reports about just about everything -- including the number of internal conronavirus cases -- should be taken with a grain of salt; but elsewhere (Europe, North America), I -- so far -- haven't seen a pandemic forming...

Yes, I realize everything, including bubonic plague, started small.  And it's always prudent to be cautious when dealing with something new.  But even today I read a news article reporting on the 'pandemic;' then in almost the same breath, it described the symptoms of a mild infection -- which the article admitted would be the result for the majority of those who contract the virus -- as "cold- or flu-like" and that some might not even display symptoms at all (yeah, yeah, I know:  Typhoid Mary...).  For all I know, I may have had the coronavirus back in November/December when I came down with something that wasn't quite a cold and wasn't quite the flu; I felt generally crummy for about five days, but it didn't interrupt my daily routine much.  I upped my intake of Vitamin C and plowed forward, still among the living...

Every report I've read on this virus to date says basically the same thing:  those most likely to develop a severe infection are those with other risk factors that have either taxed or compromised the immune system, like cancer, HIV, being elderly over 65, diabetes, heart disease, chronic lung disease, chronic kidney disease, or taking immunosuppressive medications (like "Taylor224").  Everybody else should be cautious -- if for no other reasons than to avoid passing around the virus (after all, who wants to be even a little bit sick...?) -- but go about their normal routines.  And, like the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy reminds us ("in large, friendly letters on the cover"):  Don't Panic! ;)
Exactly! 
Stay Calm and Wash your hands often. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 09:32:19 PM »
Boston cancelled it’s famous St. Patrick’s Day parade due to virus concerns.

And the (in)famous St Patrick's Day Breakfast, which features a heavy dose of local political stew, not to mention a side of roast.

And the Boston Marathon looks to be postponed to the fall.

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 09:41:18 AM »
those most likely to develop a severe infection are those with other risk factors that have either taxed or compromised the immune system, like cancer, HIV, being elderly over 65, diabetes, heart disease, chronic lung disease, chronic kidney disease, or taking immunosuppressive medications

I heard a report which said that, in the United States, the average age of those for which the virus has been fatal is 80.

Looks like I'm 23 years to the good...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 09:56:06 AM »
those most likely to develop a severe infection are those with other risk factors that have either taxed or compromised the immune system, like cancer, HIV, being elderly over 65, diabetes, heart disease, chronic lung disease, chronic kidney disease, or taking immunosuppressive medications

I heard a report which said that, in the United States, the average age of those for which the virus has been fatal is 80.

Yeah, I've got some breathing room in that regard too...

65 struck me as an excessively low estimate for the at-risk age group, but that was what the article I read reported...  I'm sure the seasonal flu can also be pretty serious for octogenarians as well...
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »

65 struck me as an excessively low estimate for the at-risk age group, but that was what the article I read reported...  I'm sure the seasonal flu can also be pretty serious for octogenarians as well...
We are all in the same boat. I'm 24 years to the good.

It is interesting how children seem to be at a very low risk for this virus. That is a good thing.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »

We are all in the same boat. I'm 24 years to the good.

It is interesting how children seem to be at a very low risk for this virus. That is a good thing.

Yeah, that is curious; you'd think they'd be at a higher risk as well, until their immune systems built up its defenses.

I know when I was between 6-10 years old, I used to get hit with the flu pretty hard:  high fever, nausea -- the whole nine yards.  One evening I was so feverish that I had crawled out of bed, walked out into the living room, and 'woke up' to my parents and siblings all laughing at me as I was apparently acting out the odd (but mild) nightmare about being aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise as it was crashing...  I was so frustrated that they weren't taking me seriously that I was practically in tears -- then I suddenly came to and remember looking around at everyone, wondering how I came to be in the living room...  They had to fill me in on the rest, because the last conscious memory I had was when I'd crawled into bed hours earlier... :o

But I can't remember the last time I even had a serious case of the flu -- probably 40+ years ago...  And I've never had a flu shot -- ever...  I figure I built up such a resistance to the virus in my earlier years that I can now fight off most strains on my own...

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »
The fact that the youngest are not impacted has been providing a clue to researchers.  My brother's firm (he's a high level PhD pharmacologist) has been working on an antiviral for the COVID-19 strain and hopes to be way ahead of expectations for a drug.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »
I haven’t had a cold since 1995 and the flu over 40 years but still get the flu shot every year, it cost me nothing since I’m over 70 and it’s covered.
We were in Hawaii and read they might not let people come into the state so we came home 5 days earlier. Besides it was raining a lot.
:D Danny
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini koa
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini Rosewood
Custom Taylor 412ce 12 fret Ovankol with Koa bindings

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 06:17:22 PM »
Aside from the health implications, it's affecting my wallet. I'm a professional photographer and have already had five shoots cancelled...

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 07:19:55 PM »
Aside from the health implications, it's affecting my wallet. I'm a professional photographer and have already had five shoots cancelled...

Not to downplay your plight; but think of how much places like bars and restaurants are losing on St. Patrick's Day... :o