Author Topic: Professional setup  (Read 1437 times)

Craig R

Professional setup
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »
While I have checked everything I know to check, I wonder whether it is worth getting a new-to-me 214ce serviced by a professional.  A Taylor service center is near by.  Without seeing the guitar I'm told the low end of the service might be just over a hundred bucks.

My level of play, I'm a beginner again after nearly 40 years . . . .

Craig R

Taylor 2008 214ce
Epiphone 2011 Les Paul Standard Plain Top
Takamine 1976 F340S

Taylor224

• Veteran Member
Re: Professional setup
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:18:12 AM »
I would let someone take a look if you think there is still an issue.  I can’t believe how a proper setup made even my Washburn play much better.   Just my very non-professional opinion.

M
“I’m gonna be a happy idiot, and struggle for the legal tender”

1982 Washburn D10CE/B
2019 Taylor 224CE-K DLX
2019 Taylor 214CE
Guild D1212 12 String

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 10:51:27 AM »
Craig,

You haven't stated a problem that needs fixing.  Is there one ... or are you thinking that any new guitar needs to be taken in for servicing?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Craig R

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:09:56 PM »
To my eye, the neck is straight. The action measures about right each fret I have a spec. I just installed new strings. A few frets show wear but no buzz or anything I hear. It stays in tune.

Just wondering if a looksee could uncover something noticeable worth the money.
Craig R

Taylor 2008 214ce
Epiphone 2011 Les Paul Standard Plain Top
Takamine 1976 F340S

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 06:52:19 AM »
To my eye, the neck is straight. The action measures about right each fret I have a spec. I just installed new strings. A few frets show wear but no buzz or anything I hear. It stays in tune.

Just wondering if a looksee could uncover something noticeable worth the money.
It's up to you. If you feel confident in what you have done and it plays well, then you're probably good. If you are like me, and know that a Taylor Tech knows more than you and you want to get it all refreshed, checked over and tweaked, it's probably worth the money. Taylor guitars are much easier to set up than most.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 10:08:44 PM »
Hi Craig,

A guitar can feel good and play well, or not so much, but determining so is rife with subjectivity.  Measurements are the objective "measure" of a setup.

Assuming all sounds right with the guitar as you attest, you should now measure your relief at the midpoint, measure your high and low E string-to-14th fret gap, and compare these numbers with stock setup (not that stock is "right" as much as it is the factory's benchmark for guitars leaving their hands to head to stores and customers). 

Now you will know your guitar's baseline, from which you can now ask a proper Taylor tech (who must have the proper neck shims or the setup won't be done properly for an NT Taylor) whether he can improve upon these numbers.  But even then, this assumes you want him to go lower as not everyone does.

The best setup is the right setup for the player's own preference, his playing style, and music genre.  My suggestion to you is measure up your guitar, then talk to a good tech about all these factors. 

Edward

DickBanks

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »
A setup by someone who IS GOOD AT IT can never be a bad idea. If anything, it will confirm that your setup is not an issue.

Sybo

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »
  You can make a good guitar play and sound great!!!!