Author Topic: Which way to go ?  (Read 621 times)

Fullstrutter

Which way to go ?
« on: January 17, 2020, 09:18:03 PM »
Hi everyone,
First post here.  I’m 61 yrs old, retired and now at this point I would like to learn to play guitar.  My question is I
Love acoustic but my dilemma is should I start on something like a 314ce or a T5z ?  I love both guitars but between the two
The T5z feels sooooo good. ( neck, thin body ). Is one easier to play/learn on. Also if you suggest the T5z, which would have the better acoustic sounding top wood. (Exotic or the classic model)
Thanks for putting up with my Neophyte questions.
Dave

ScottSD

Re: Which way to go ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 09:49:08 PM »
Hi everyone,
First post here.  I’m 61 yrs old, retired and now at this point I would like to learn to play guitar.  My question is I
Love acoustic but my dilemma is should I start on something like a 314ce or a T5z ?  I love both guitars but between the two
The T5z feels sooooo good. ( neck, thin body ). Is one easier to play/learn on. Also if you suggest the T5z, which would have the better acoustic sounding top wood. (Exotic or the classic model)
Thanks for putting up with my Neophyte questions.
Dave

Welcome Aboard Full Strutter,

I'm in pretty much your exact same situation except that I'm one year ahead of you so I thought I'd share my experiences.  When I retired I started with a Big Baby Taylor which, I had on hand.  It didn't take me too long to wish I had an electric, mostly for ease of play...  Learning barre chords is more difficult on a steel string acoustic guitar.  I bought a Fender Telecaster and played that for a few months.  It's easy to play and I (still) really like it.  I've got fairly big hands and I wasn't digging the neck on the BBT so I asked my instructor for his recommendations on an acoustic.  Without hesitation, he said to buy a nylon string acoustic guitar.  I ended up getting a Grand Auditorium sized Taylor with nylon strings and I'm convinced it was the best decision I could have made.  I can finger pick it, and strum it, it's easy to play, easy on my fingers and sounds amazing.  Most (classical) nylon string guitars tend to have wide necks but the nylon string Taylors are closer to regular steel string neck dimensions so it's easier to go back and fourth between guitars. 

Bottom line, you don't have to spend a fortune to get started.  If you're not 100% sure you're going to stick with it, I'd get a serviceable nylon string guitar like an Academy 12-N or a 114ce-N.  You can't go wrong with either one of those for starts.  If you get severely afflicted by GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) like I did, you'll have a much better idea of exactly what kind of guitar you want to match your playing style.  My two cents, YMMV... 

Edit: In full disclosure, I have a 714ce-Nylon and a 714ce.  Love them both, and wouldn't part with either one but the nylon is still my favorite.  I'm sure you can't go wrong with a 314ce. 

I'm quite certain others will weigh in with excellent advice!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:55:11 PM by ScottSD »

Fullstrutter

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 11:20:32 PM »
Thanks, being such a novice as I am ,all replies are welcome and considered. This may sound weird but as much as I want to learn, I’m frightened of failure. This is a horrible thing when your a perfectionist.  I’m not expecting to be Tommy Emanuel  though. One other thing is my palms are a decent size but my fingers are on the shorter size. This is another issue I have hoping for a neck that would be easer for my fingers

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 06:56:51 AM »
This may sound weird but as much as I want to learn, I’m frightened of failure.
Don't be afraid, learning guitar isn't success or failure, it is more of a journey. As you go, you follow the direction that gives you pleasure. It's different for every one of us. We would all love to be better in some ways, but if you are enjoying it, that's all that matters. If you lose the enjoyment, just change directions.

As far as what guitar to get, you may end up getting something that doesn't fit the bill. Redirect and move to what might work. It won't be failure, it's just part of the journey. Enjoy!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

ScottSD

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 01:10:28 PM »
Full Strutter,

While I find it somewhat depressing to watch a 12 year old effortlessly shredding on a guitar, we have to remind ourselves that we've had successful careers, don't have to go to school and our allowance is MUCH better.  With your retired schedule, I think you'll find you improve pretty quickly.  In the end, the only thing we truly need to fear is arthritis...

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 06:07:17 PM »
Welcome from both a new member and also an older member, it not new to playing. I think you've made a wise choice in starting with a Taylor, as I have found them to be the easiest playing guitars Ive ever played. That being said, if your just starting out, rather than going with either of your original choices, I would recommend perhaps a GS Mini. A little shorter scale to start and not a lot of expense to start. They have several flavors of woods and to me would be a great starter. I have a Koa that to me is a great practice/couch guitar. I have come to play it more than my others since I got it. You can always trade up later if and when you get to that level in your playing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:09:07 PM by Toucan256 »