Author Topic: 562ce  (Read 1584 times)

M19

• Veteran Member
562ce
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:19:47 PM »
Who has/had one of these and what do you think of it? I owned a 655ce a few years ago and sold it, and I'm getting the 12-er fever again.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: 562ce
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:06 PM »
I don't own a 562, but I play one at least twice a month at my local guitar shop.  Honestly, I think it's a stunning guitar -- beautiful, clear, powerful, and the easiest to play 12-string I've ever touched.  If I were in the market for one, this would be it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:53:10 AM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:07:18 AM »
Me. I love it. I'm a fingerpicker (with National fingerpicks), and it is just so easy to play.  It has the mahogany warmth and clarity, with the 12 string sparkle. Not overly jingly like some 12's, but enough. it has wonderful tonal balance.  I strum it when I accompany a violin friend.....it is loud enough to be heard, but is not overpowering. My husband listens and is just shocked that the small body can put out like it does. The volume is not subdued....the GC 12-fret really surprises you. For me, a great all-around 12-string, when you don't need the large-body 12-string kick that some people want/need. Hope that helps. Oh, and its gorgeous, just like your custom.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:19:48 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »
Like Dennis, I'm not an owner of one.  Unlike Dennis, I'm going to say that I prefer the larger-bodied Taylor 12-strings to these Grand Concert 12-frets -- although I readily acknowledge they're probably right down the middle of the plate for fingerpickers who want to play on a 12-string.  But I'm a strummer.  All of that said, of the two standard-model Grand Concert 12-strings that Taylor offers, I prefer the 552ce; I think the Cedar/Mahogany combination gives the tone more depth than the all-Mahogany version.  But that's all in the ear of the beholder...

Not sure why you parted with your 655ce.  Dennis and Susie ("TaylorGirl") are correct when they note the relative volume of these GC 12-strings; they're actually pretty impressive in that regard.  But the tone of these GC 12-strings will be quite a bit different than your 'legacy' Maple 655ce.  I'd play a 562ce before committing to one to be sure it meets your expectations.  These GC 12-strings seem to handle even moderate strumming with a pick fairly well, but may not take everything you could have thrown at your 655ce.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

ericjungemann

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
I have one in left-handed and love it.  I also have a K65CE jumbo all koa.  I play them back and forth.  I can't decide which one I like the best . . . but it is not a problem as I have both!

The 12 fret makes string tension slightly lighter . . . but not terribly noticeable.  The scale length change is nice . . . again, I go back and forth without noticing it that much.

The size of the 562 vs. the jumbo K65 is very nice.

What is most noticeable is that both of the guitars have about the same volume . . . which is pretty surprising considering the size difference. 

Everything about the 562CE is very subtle and subdued except the sound.  The mahogany and the finish are really nice.  Very nice binding.  Mine stay in tune and I've only done a slight truss rod adjustment here in California for the season change (well, do we actually hae those in California?) as it was set up perfectly out of the box.

The K65CE is anything but subtle.  It shouts 'I'M HERE' visually at every level.

Andy has done some great design work to get a much smaller instrument (and particularly a 12 string) to project so much with so much clarity.

My first guitar purchased with my own money was a Gibson B25-12.  The 562CE reminds me of it in size but is so much more powerful.

As has been pointed out before, the 562CE uses Expression 2 system.  It is louder than the ES 1.3 in the K65CE.  I just dial down the 562 on the guitar itself to match both systems.  Both sound very good.  Not much difference to my ear . . . just a great reproduction of the actual sound of the guitars.  I use a Fishman Mini with the mid-range scooped, but those were the settings when I only had the K65.  I experimented but came back to those settings.

I've owned a number of Taylor 12's over the years.  The 562CE is really really good (but so is the K65CE).  I'm keeping them both.

Eric
Eric Jungemann
GS Mini E Koa Plus
150e

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 10:17:22 PM »
Played one at the shop this afternoon and I think I'm smitten! As TaylorGirl implies, it could be the big brother to my custom. Now, I only have to come to grips with selling my Wee Lowden  :-[ and I'll be back in 12 town!  ;D

Thanks for the input, all.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Paul Tobias

• Tobiasmusic.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 12:14:41 AM »
I just played a 562ce today at the shop. It's crazy how much of a difference a short scale makes on the tension of a 12 String. Not sure why no one thought of this earlier. Leave it to Andy Powers to think outside the box. You can play this 12 String for hours with little to no left hand fatigue. Plus, they are not "all blinged out" so they are still fairly affordable.
Paul Tobias
Tobias Music - Taylor Dealer For Over 30 Years
Downers Grove, IL

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »
Bought it today from Twin Town Guitars in Mpls.

I'll get some pix up when CJ has the time (my awesome photographer wife).

Great to have a 12-er again.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 05:45:09 AM »
Bought it today from Twin Town Guitars in Mpls.

I'll get some pix up when CJ has the time (my awesome photographer wife).

Great to have a 12-er again.
Great, Marty. I knew you'd love it, with your custom. Looking forward to your wonderful pictures. Your wife always knows how to do it right.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!