Author Topic: Finally got me one-- a Taylor, that is!  (Read 1323 times)

JuanValdez

Finally got me one-- a Taylor, that is!
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:19:47 AM »
Greetings All!
I finally got the thumbs up to post! Thank you, oh, great and powerful Oz!
I started playing a decade ago and love to play with the emphasis on play.  Nothing serious, but lots o' fun.

Some 3 weeks ago, I wandered into the GC in Salt Lake City just to use the restroom (and who believes that?) before heading off on my 30 minute drive south to go home at the end of the day. Dang if it wasn't already in use. "What a fine excuse to wander into the acoustic room," thought I. Moments later, the lovely Taylor M522, grand concert, short scale, sailed off the wall into my arms. That red wine burgundy color and nifty inlayed fretboard was just too much. Pluck! Pluck! Strum! Strum! Humm, plays just like a Taylor! And that's a good thing! The neck feels good, it's straight, no relief and string height is really good. It's love at first sight... but it's also $xx and then some... by the time you pay the governor's portion. And, oh, yeah, I've still gotta pee. I've never owned a Taylor and knew I needed to do more homework.   I've always appreciated the famous Taylor right outta the box playability, but have never felt moved enuf to pull the trigger.

Nosing around on the web found thumbs up all around on the 522. So, I spent the next couple of weeks looking for and found a used one for sale in So. Cal.  I am lucky that my guitar playing nephew was only an hour away from the seller and was more than happy to check it out for me. I got more thumbs up.  It was like new, not a mark on it and sounded great. Its owner had fallen on hard times and needed to unload it. A deal was struck, green was transferred and my nephew packed it home and sent it to me.
Oh, happy day! We've (my son, son-in-law and I all play) had it here a bit more than a week and I am loving my new Taylor!

Note: I can only justify having so many guitars and today, at least, that number is 3. Sadly, that meant my my least played option, a McIlroy 25AC, had to go.

JV
Products of Columbia

Taylor -522
Martin 00-18v Podium Custom
Ken Stika Muley Creek Custom (Sitka Spruce and Honduran Mahogany)

Removed $$ per forum rules
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:56:20 AM by TaylorGirl »

cooper59

Re: Finally got me one-- a Taylor, that is!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
great guitars. love the way they sound and play

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »
Welcome Juan to the forum and to the Taylor family. The 522's are awesome! I am a mahogany fan. Congrats!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:23:28 AM »
Welcome Juan -

That's a beautiful new addition to your family, and it sure is in good company! Congrats and enjoy!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

nobodeuno

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:52:02 AM »
Awesome ax...welcome! Plays like butter  ;D