Author Topic: no mahogany bodies anymore?  (Read 514 times)

terrypl

no mahogany bodies anymore?
« on: November 11, 2023, 09:42:53 AM »
Am I missing something, or has Taylor discontinued offering solid-wood guitars with mahogany bodies, as it used to in the 500 series?

I see rosewood, koa, maple and "ironbark" bodies in the various series.

If so, is that because guitar-grade mahogany has become scarce?

joshsimpson79

Re: no mahogany bodies anymore?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 02:44:55 PM »
As far as I can tell, they are still doing some mahogany.  I have the GT mahogany, and they seem to still be available, but maybe it's older stock.  But yeah, the 500 has changed for now.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

beninma

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 11:47:03 AM »
They list a lot of models in the full range of sizes with Tropical Mahogany or Sapele on the website now.

Cedar tops are what is more Rare.   Right now it looks like the Jason Mraz signature (Cedar/Rosewood) is the only Cedar topped guitar left.

I love my new 514ce (Spruce/Ironbark) so much it keeps me up at night... go try the guitars and see what you like versus starting with "must have this wood".

terrypl

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 03:27:53 PM »
I love my new 514ce (Spruce/Ironbark)

Can you describe what you love about it? What's the tone?

terrypl

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 03:38:00 PM »
They list a lot of models in the full range of sizes with Tropical Mahogany

I do see some solid mahogany bodies in the 300 series, but with mahogany tops. It's interesting that Taylor seems to have abandoned its longtime mahogany-with-cedar-top combo that defined the 500 series. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just making note of it. Good to offer something new, I guess. 

beninma

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 04:41:35 PM »
I love my new 514ce (Spruce/Ironbark)

Can you describe what you love about it? What's the tone?

It just suits me I guess?   It's somehow not as bright and metallic as the Spruce/Mahogany guitars like the 314.   Yet it's more punchy/louder with more accentuated bass than the higher series (8xx/9xx) guitars I tried?   It's a very satisfying guitar for loud strumming and singing and such.   Very nice response to muting & hand percussion, etc.. Hard to say but I greatly preferred it over the 814/914 in the store that day.   I suppose it's going to greatly depend on your personal style.  The 800s and 900s were somehow too refined for me?   But if I was always fingerpicking maybe I'd prefer them?   

I cannot compare it to the old 514ce, I've literally never even seen one of them.

Lillis

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 04:47:24 PM »
I am glad I bought a 2021 512ce 12 fret cedar/mahogany a couple of months ago. I bought it before I knew they quit making that combo. It really is a beautiful guitar and offers something different than all my others. I've gone Taylor crazy this year. It started with a 2015 322 that I love. Then I got a new 362ce and now the 512ce. I might be broke but I'm enjoying my guitars! ;)
512ce 12 fret,362ce & 322,Larrivee P03,00015SM

terrypl

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 05:07:53 PM »
I might be broke but I'm enjoying my guitars! ;)

I think that comment could apply to quite a few of us!

terrypl

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 05:10:29 PM »
Beninma: Nice review, thanks!