Author Topic: NGD via a trade - have been bitten by the GP bug  (Read 751 times)

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
NGD via a trade - have been bitten by the GP bug
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:22:25 AM »
This is my 2nd NGD in three weeks.  Two weeks ago I brought my new-to-me K16 LTD to put up against the new Grand Pacifics - first time I had ever played these new models.  While the 317/517 I played were not quite as responsive and powerful as the K16ce LTD for the light fingerstyle I primarily play, they did have more volume than my former 324 and had such a nice roundness to the notes (perhaps even more so).   Since my only criticism of the 324 mainly centered around volume (or the lack thereof) and the store offered a very favorable trade in for the 324, I'm now the proud owner of a new 317e!

The photo shows the new 317e with its bigger brother K16ce LTD - or is it actually bigger?  I'll have to dig out specs of the Grand Pacific versus the Grand Symphony.

In terms of comparisons with the other Grand Pacific models, my first experience was with the 317 and 517.  I thought the 317 had slightly more rounded trebles and a more full bass response with fingerstyle whereas the 517 was a touch better at strumming (you can also sort of hear this with Taylor's own sound samples of these on their website).  This past weekend at the road show I got to briefly sample the 717 in a fairly loud room and compare it against the 517 - not ideal conditions to say the least but I didn't observe appreciable differences with the light classical fingerstyle I usually play.  At the road show demo, they performed a strumming comparison of these two, and to my ear, it was the classical hog versus rosewood differences.

In terms of strings, and this was a concern I had going in when I first tried them, the stock medium G-B-E strings felt quite stiff and were a lot of work for the fingerstyle I prefer.  I was fortunate that the K16ce came to me with Elixir light mediums (medium bass, light trebles) and I found that setup maintained the bass I wanted with easier playability on the high strings.  My store didn't have any of the Elixir light mediums but they did have D'Addario Bluegrass EJ19s which are essentially the same thing minus the nanoweb coating.  So far they are working out great, and I'm going to try the EJ19 on the K16ce soon.  In another week of so, I'm going to start a new thread on these medium light strings - there are several variations of these and I had to search all over the place to understand what these differences mean - will post what my research has uncovered in single location - if that is any help to anyone.  From what I've read, some people seem happy with the stock mediums, some are using some medium/light combinations (like mine or one of the other variations), a few are using lights 12-53, and I read about a guy on the Taylor owner's group on Facebook that is even using a custom 10-52 extra light set - the bottom line is it seems the Grand Pacifics are offering good performance with a variety of strings.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:09:31 PM by boneuphtoner »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: NGD via a trade - have been bitten by the GP bug
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »
Nice pairing!  When I first read your post, I took it to mean you traded the K16 in on the 317 - yikes!  (I love koa and have a first-year GS-K, which would now be called the K16).  I played a 517 for the first time early this week, and it was VERY nice.  Congrats.  I'm perceiving that the GP size is catching on in the market like the GO body size never quite did.  No disrespect intended to GO owners, BTW.

I bounce back and forth between medium gauge and medium-light strings on all my guitars (mostly GA's).  Both types seem to work fine for me.  In addition to "standard" tuning, I play in several alternate tunings for Hawaiian slack-key and need the heavier strings to keep enough tension.  CFCGCE is one where medium-light sets shine.  Other tunings seem to like a regular medium set.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 12:37:20 PM »
Nice pairing!  When I first read your post, I took it to mean you traded the K16 in on the 317 - yikes!  (I love koa and have a first-year GS-K, which would now be called the K16).  I played a 517 for the first time early this week, and it was VERY nice.  Congrats.  I'm perceiving that the GP size is catching on in the market like the GO body size never quite did.  No disrespect intended to GO owners, BTW.

Hey Earl - I agree, in terms of sales, the GPs seem to be leaving the GO's and GS's in the dust - at least for now.  What isn't obvious to me is how Taylor will differentiate between these larger bodied instruments moving forward.

Question about your GS-K - what are the specs of this?  Spruce top or all koa?  My 2015 K16ce LTD has a cedar top/koa back and sides.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »
Congrats! I got to try out a 317 on a recent trip to Elderly Instruments. I was impressed with its beautiful, unique tone. Nice couple that you have there!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »
Love when it works out that way - congrats!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »
The photo shows the new 317e with its bigger brother K16ce LTD - or is it actually bigger?  I'll have to dig out specs of the Grand Pacific versus the Grand Symphony.

boneuphtoner:
Yes the GS is bigger.  The body width on a GS is 16.25 inches and the GP is 16 inches.
I think from your picture of the two guitars that the GS looks bigger.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »

boneuphtoner:
Yes the GS is bigger.  The body width on a GS is 16.25 inches and the GP is 16 inches.
I think from your picture of the two guitars that the GS looks bigger.

Awesome thanks for those specs, and based on the lower bout, the GS is bigger - on the other hand, the GP has a wider waist

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 11:24:32 AM »
Question about your GS-K - what are the specs of this?  Spruce top or all koa?  My 2015 K16ce LTD has a cedar top/koa back and sides.

The GS-K is spruce top and flamed koa back & sides, so the equivalent of a K16.  2006 was the first year that the GS shape came out (except for the R. Taylor line).  If it were all koa it would be a K26.  I also have an all-koa 424-LTD from 2007.  These two pictured are not mine exactly, but represent well - and I didn't have to set up a studio to get the shot.  These two will be the last guitars I part with, probably in my estate.  I have a deep fondness for koa wood and Hawaiian music in general.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:27:27 AM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
Hi Earl - they are beautiful - what a gorgeous pair!  I don’t know if Taylor will ever release these K16s again in the future - currently The catalog only lists the K26/K66 (all Koa) in the grand symphony body

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 08:03:21 AM »
Late to the thread here, but congrats on a great looking pair, I am sure they each offer such a unique sound it is hard to decide which to grab. Enjoy the dilemma.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable