Author Topic: How I ended up with a 12 fret 812 Dlx...  (Read 1764 times)

tremolo arm

How I ended up with a 12 fret 812 Dlx...
« on: May 03, 2019, 08:56:53 AM »
So some of you followed my in-and-out love affair with a GS 2011 Ltd Fall Cocobolo .... and gave my some valuable advice, which I appreciate highly.

I ended up keeping and valuing the Coco for what it is. It definitely has its strengths and everyone who saw/played it liked it. I played it live twice and both times it was a reliable companion. But I know what sound / feeling I am after and that is not it... So the guitar is currently safe in its case and I will probably put it up for sale on a well known auction site soon.

Whilst I was looking for a replacement, I had an opportunity to play quite a few other guitars - some spoke to me and some not. Most notably I was expecting to fall in love with a 914 V-brace (which was offered at a good price), but did not see as all that special (tonally). Maybe it was just that particular example... The closest I got to was an 814 Dlx but it had a slight ding and the price was still quite high.

My search surprisingly led me onto a 2017 812CE 12-f dlx (x-braced). Having always played big guitars (GA-size and above), my initial impression was that this guitar looked like a toy with its short scale and shorter neck particularly. I was also a little hesitant as I had previously tried a V-braced 812CE 12 fret and felt its mids were way too dominant and its sound a bit boxy.

But this was one was different, maybe because of the X-brace, it felt more balanced across the EQ spectrum. One characteristic which I could immediately resonate with (pun intended) was how alive it felt. The whole thing just moved, shook and vibrated under my fingers - even with single notes runs. With chords - it was like a living thing. The other characteristic which I was really surprised about was how loud it was. I tried it side by side with my GS Coco, with a Martin OM-42 and with another 814 and this little thing projected volume in spades. Granted it was strung with some old strings, I thought - if it sounds this good now, it will sing with a new set, so I pulled the trigger.

I have since installed a new set of Santa Cruz Low Tension strings (I got the string tip from a video on YouTube by a guy playing the same model) and the guitar just sings - particularly finger picked. If I have to split hairs, the low E response is a little on the shallow side (more detectable when strumming) but that is to be expected to with a Grand Concert when comparing to a Grand Symphony. Finger picked it's much less discernible. Still, it is a musical bass, not a cheap-sounding bass. I am stoked with it. And it looks fantastic with the radius arm rest and a nicely figured fingerboard. This one is a keeper.  :)

So there you have it - my journey from a GS to a GC 12f. Who would have thought!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 03:04:28 AM by tremolo arm »
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Taylor GS-Ltd. 2011 Fall Cocobolo
Baby Taylor
Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
Fender Team Built Custom Shop Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Duesenberg Alliance Joe Walsh
Gretsch Electromatic 5622T
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: How I ended up with a 12 fret 812 Dlx...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 09:21:30 AM »
Congratulations, it really sounds like you found exactly what you were looking for it terms of sound and feel.
Pictures please.  :D
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

tremolo arm

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:46:04 AM »
OK, if you insist...  :)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:47:41 AM by tremolo arm »
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:37:13 AM »
It's always a good thing when you "find your fit" - congrats.  Your experience shows that studying specs is a fine thing to do, but actually playing examples of specific guitars is the final exam.  Although all of the options you tried are nice, any guitar has to speak to you in order to be a keeper.

I especially like the streaked ebony on the fret board and the way they aligned it along the axis.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:33:18 AM »
Congrats on finding your musical soulmate! The 812 is and has always been a guitar of fine quality - well above the minimum requirement for a professional-grade instrument. Enjoy!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. Everything about it is classy. The fretboard has just the right amout of streaking.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Violeiro

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Pretty awesome mate, congrats.
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

tremolo arm

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »
Thank you :)
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

wickedwahine

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »
Congratulations, it is stunning. :)
Taylor K22ce
Taylor K21e
Grimes Hapa Nylon
Emerald Guitars X7 carbon fiber (custom painted Kauai scenery)
Kanile’a GL6 Guitarlele

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 09:49:11 AM »
Oh my - so gorgeous!  Many congrats and enjoy!

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 07:25:54 AM »
That is a gorgeous looking 812 with the fretboard like that! I love my 812ce 12 fret, the sound has matured nicely. I do have a set of SCGC low tensions here, maybe that is the guitar for them? I hope you enjoy yours as I do mine.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 08:33:52 AM »
Some of us aren't surprised.  8)

This is now my one and only "nice" Taylor. The resonance and volume comes from a combination of the Grand Concert shape (more energy per square inch on the smaller top) and because on a 12-fret the bridge is pulled more towards the center of that soundboard. Among other things, this makes it optimal for fingerstyle playing, as you get tons of volume (and dynamics/nuance) from very little energy applied to the strings.

The main "disadvantage" of those characteristics normally is that the top will tend to start to compress and reach a limit the harder you strum. Except, with this model (DLX X-class) and the adirondack spruce bracing, it has a lot more dynamic headroom than would otherwise be expected. Last, this guitar is incredibly responsive, due to the "punchy" charachteristic of 12-frets and the fast attach of adirondack.

So you stumbled on the perfect guitar with no downsides.... now you know why.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:04:58 AM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

MrRemainder

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 10:13:57 AM »
I’m curious about the neck profile on the 12 fret version. I’m recovering from stenosis and have come to realize that I’ve got a partial disability that will cause me to completely change my ability to play. I’ve got an 818e that is going up for sale (almost unplayed) and one of the recent 710es with the short scale. Recently the v shape of the 710 causes almost immediate spasms in my forearm and it makes me not want to play. I have a x16 with an armrest and full scale that is about as comfortable as I can get playing now so I’m curious about going smaller for comfort and playability. Does the 12 fret have/the same pronounced v shape or is it more in line with the traditional neck shape?

Thanks for the thoughts

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 07:16:46 PM »
I’m curious about the neck profile on the 12 fret version. I’m recovering from stenosis and have come to realize that I’ve got a partial disability that will cause me to completely change my ability to play. I’ve got an 818e that is going up for sale (almost unplayed) and one of the recent 710es with the short scale. Recently the v shape of the 710 causes almost immediate spasms in my forearm and it makes me not want to play. I have a x16 with an armrest and full scale that is about as comfortable as I can get playing now so I’m curious about going smaller for comfort and playability. Does the 12 fret have/the same pronounced v shape or is it more in line with the traditional neck shape?

Thanks for the thoughts

You ask about "the 12-fret" and I can't speak for all of them, but the 812ce 12-fret DLX has Taylor's "Standard" profile. Like a C to me in feel. Definitely not a V.

Also, with your challenges, since the 12-fret is a shorter scale guitar, the strings have less tension which should help you. Hope that helps?
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

MrRemainder

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 01:23:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. It’s not clear from the Taylor site if the v is specific to just the short scale 710.  I got it due to the lower tension but unfortunately the v profile is causing too much discomfort to judge the string tension.