Author Topic: Strap locks  (Read 2554 times)

paddygfw

• Started learning to play this year
Strap locks
« on: August 02, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »
Hi everyone
A newbie question. I have a KOA GS mini that the place to plug in the amp is also where the strap is attached. I really like my friends strap locks. Is there a way to install them on my guitar? Thanks in advance
Paddy

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Strap locks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
Hi Paddy,

Welcome to the board! :D

If you really like straplocks (I presume either the Dunlop or Schaller styles), you can put it on the front strap button as it simply screws into the neck with a conventional wood screw.  But you cannot replace the rear strap-pin because it is integral to the output jack.

Personally, I doubt you'll ever "need" a locking mechanism for an acoustic, especially where the Taylor strap pins are located where the weight of the guitar helps keep the strap on the pin (which should already be snug to begin with).  Unless you're doing lots of stage antics, your acoustic should be perfectly secure with a well-fitting strap onto the stock pins.

Edward

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »
And if you're performing stage antics like Edward  ;D
you'll have a jack plug in and that makes a pretty good strap lock.

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

paddygfw

• Started learning to play this year
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply....my first guitar and love it.....
Thanks again

MikeB

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
Make sure your strap holes don't get enlarged from use.  You could add a Schaller-type pin near/beside the endpin jack on your guitar - I'd recommend having a qualified tech do it, as it'll need some inside reinforcement (wood block).
I've never had the strap slip off the neck pin (I have a Taylor suede strap), but did have the strap come off the endpin one time - I wasn't plugged in, but caught it in time.  SO I added a Tapastring strapkeeper (essentially a thin piece of leather, that locks into the end pin).  http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper%20two.htm