Author Topic: Taylor 110 mods?  (Read 1169 times)

Trillian

Taylor 110 mods?
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:03:18 AM »
Hi all. My 110e, being an early model make in '06, has a couple of things that were subsequently changed over the years.

Primarily, it has a version of the ES that I believe was used on the 100 and 200 series at the time with no EQ controls. It is powered by a 9 volt battery, the jack is installed in the lower treble bout in much the same fashion as a Les Paul. I am wondering if anyone has info/diagrams of this system, as I would like to add a simple sound hole volume control to it. Has anyone done such a mod? It would make it more convenient to play live. One solution I adopted was a Planet Waves cable that has a disconnect switch on the plug so I can avoid untowards noise while fumbling around stage etc, but a vol. control would be really sweet.

The only other thing that I don't care for with this guitar is the cheap matte plastic head stock overlay. Okay I didn't buy this guitar for looks, I needed good even tone with lots of projection, coupled with great playability on a particular budget, and that's exactly what I got. That being said the guitar is nice looking in it's classic, sparsely appointed way, but that plastic overlay just sticks out and says 'cheap' to me, and I think even a budget Taylor deserves better. Apparently Bob Taylor agrees because they switched to a rosewood overlay not long after that.

It's not something that would make be get rid of the guitar but I've toyed with the idea of removing it (perhaps some gentle warming of the glue with an iron) and putting a different overlay on. I don't suppose it's possible to obtain a Taylor rosewood overlay with the logo? Any other decent options? I'm not committed to the idea, just toying with it.

Thanks
'06 110e
'93 Epiphone PR-775S Orville

Plus a bunch of electrics 'and stuff'

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Taylor 110 mods?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »
If it were me, I would just sand the headstock plastic to give it some tooth, then glue on the wood veneer of my choice.  Trying to Remove it would likely cause more damage than not.

I also use a Planet Waves switched cable for its on/off function.  Cannot help you much with the volume switch.  You could try using an outboard DI like an LR Baggs, and use that as a volume control and EQ.  Or consider the Taylor VTC cable they make for the ES Go pickup for the GS Mini.  It has a volume control built into the plug at the guitar end.  Rather pricey but nicely built.

If your pickup system ever dies entirely or if you choose to abandon it, a lot of folks over at AGF have love for the K&K Pure Mini.  It is passive so does not need a battery, and I believe there is a version with on board tone and volume controls for the edge of the sound hole.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Trillian

Re: Taylor 110 mods?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »
Thanks Earl. The V cable does appear to be a workable option if a can't locate a simple sound hole mounted volume pot that can be wired inline with the output jack.
'06 110e
'93 Epiphone PR-775S Orville

Plus a bunch of electrics 'and stuff'