Author Topic: Trouble with treble strings on Taylor Mini  (Read 1017 times)

Jimbo123

Trouble with treble strings on Taylor Mini
« on: November 29, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »
I've have 2 Taylor Mini guitars, one an all mahogany guitar and the other a spruce top guitar.  I fingerpick, never strum.

The fingerpicking tone of both guitars on the wound strings is rich, resonant and loud ...... absolute perfection.

However, there's a problem on the treble strings on both guitars regarding both tone and volume. I'm pretty certain it's due to the short scale length of 23.5 inches. I've also noticed the same problem on other Taylor Minis that I've played in shops.

The  tone and volume on the treble strings is not as strong as I can get with longer scale length guitars. It sounds a little bit weak and indistinct in comparison. I've tried all the usual alterations to increase the treble tone and volume ....... things like giving the neck greater truss rod relief, increasing the action at the saddle, putting on very heavy gauge treble strings. These things help a tiny bit, but make the guitar too hard to play. I love the Mini because it's so incredibly easy to play, and don't like high action or heavy treble strings (I use standard medium gauge strings D'Addario).

Has anyone else found the treble response for fingerpicking on Taylor Mini guitars to be a bit lacking? If I could solve this problem, then the Taylor Mini would be the absolute perfect guitar for my needs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

HAPPYDAN

Re: Trouble with treble strings on Taylor Mini
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 03:10:05 PM »
I have the Holden Village Mini, Engelmann Spruce over Maple. Pretty bright. I changed strings to Elixir lights, got it set up, and it gets good treble and mid, but the bass is lacking. The lights are much easier on the fingers, but it gets real twangy with a pick. Besides the truss rod adjustment, it needed a partial bridge shim to prevent fret buzz on the high E and B. Maybe if I put the medium low E and A back on, that'll nail it?

kprusac

Re: Trouble with treble strings on Taylor Mini
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:52:52 PM »
Maybe a change in bridge pins might help. You could even try brass on the top strings to help the treble "ring out" more. I have buffalo horn on the top 3 and ebony on the bottom 3 of my Mini Hog and plan to do the same on my new Mini Koa. To my old ears it does seem to help the treble when I'm finger picking.
2006 414ce
2008 114ce
2012 GS Mini Hog
2014 316ce
2016 GS Mini-e Koa
Others I won't mention........