Poll

Which Taylor should i choose?

614ce?
5 (45.5%)
816ce?
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: June 08, 2015, 01:32:04 AM

Author Topic: Interested in buying a Taylor and wanted some opinions and feedback  (Read 3013 times)

Jprsguitar233

Hey guys, kind of new at this. I currently have a 114ce that I bought about 5 years ago which I still love. I'm looking to upgrade and invest in more of a "lifetime" instrument. I could look at spec sheets all day but I have trouble hearing the differences between some of the wood combinations and bracing patterns. I'm more of a singer/song-writer but I also play leads on a lot of stuff and wanted something that could do both. I was told to never buy a guitar online without being able to play it first so I'm going to go check out a local dealer and try some stuff out. Would any of you out there be able to check out some of the guitars on the website and make suggestions as well of ideas what to look and check for? Maybe questions to ask as well? Thank You!

http://www.nemusiccenter.com/taylor/

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: Interested in buying a Taylor and wanted some opinions and feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:48:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum. The website you posted has a great selection of Taylors, including some great "built to order" models.

You should go to a Taylor roadshow - 'tis the season right now- to better hear the impact of different shapes/sizes and woods.  First consideration for you seems to be model type. Your playing style, and what kind of musical forces you play with, will help shape that decision.  Go smaller(GC) for fingerstyle and larger (x10 x16) for flatpicking/strumming, or x14 for the best of both.

Wood choice is a combo of sound and esthetics. You'll find many of us recommending the traditional woods: rosewood and similar (cocobolo, ovankol), or the midrange- prominent mahoganies(sapele,etc). Maple is great in a band mix.   Or combining aspects of the others, koa.  Or go out of the box for walnut or Macassar Ebony.

Keep asking questions to help refine your search.

CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:17:25 AM »
Jersey's response was perfect...

If you're planning to play lead, you might want to go with the x14 model as it calls for light strings (12s). The x16 calls for mediums (13s) and the larger body takes a little more to get the top going.

So the x14 light strings might be easier to bend and the smaller body easier for you to get tone out of when playing lead.

As for the 6xx (maple) verses 8xx (rosewood), you definitely want to go try the two.  You really couldn't go wrong with either, so you'll need to decide for yourself which is better for you.  Taylor has just recently re-voiced both, and both are fantastic. 
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:16:03 PM »
Really nothing wrong with buying online, as long as it's new. You'll still have a full warrenty. But, you've got to know exactly what you want. I agree that a GA is your best bet, for body style. I'd say, buy a little more than your initial gut budget limit. From that website, I'd suggest you try out the 414ce. Every time I've played one, I'm impressed at how it does everything so well. For a bit more, that 514 Fall Ltd., in Blackwood, would make a nice investment instrument, that not everyone will have.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Jprsguitar233

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:21:27 AM »
Went to check out some guitars the other. It was a bit overwhelming but the guys at the shop were super cool and patient. Although it was a little out of my price range, the guitar that I liked the most was the K24ce ... wow. Back to reality ... As of now I am between the 614ce TSB and the 714ce. That body size and dynamic range seemed to suit me the best ... Going to make my decision this week, cheers!

Thanks for the insight!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:44:47 AM »
Sounds like you are narrowing it down some.  From your description of playing, the GA or -14 series would be best for you.  Clearly define your mission and needs first, as you have already done, then the guitar selection will follow from that.  The latest issue of Wood & Steel has the usual "find your fit" guide inside starting on page 28.  They describe the general characteristics of woods and body shapes.  Get a paper copy at your dealer if you haven't already, or download the PDF here:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/Wood-Steel_Winter-2015_EN.pdf

Reading is fine, but there is no substitution for direct bonding experience with a specific guitar.  Since guitars are made of wood, each one is an individual.  Taylor is good about getting consistency between examples of the same model, but there will always be some that stand head and shoulders above the rest.  Good luck and enjoy your quest.

As for the K24, they are awesome both visually an tonally.  Koa has its own distinct voice.  I have heard some good advice before:  "Go for it.  You'll eventually forget the price paid, but will always enjoy the finer instrument every time you play it".  if the K24 is really the one that floats your boat, the incremental extra $$$ will be well spent, and you will enjoy it for a lifetime.  Better to regret a hit to the wallet than to pine about the one that got away.  (No enabling here).   ;D
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

cooper59

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »
 i agree with nothing wrong with buying online. but once you know exactly what you want

PepeSmith

• I think I'm good
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:00:40 PM »
you can check the taylor guitar's serial number so you'll know when the guitar was built

http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/taylor-support/faq-when-was-my-guitar-made
2015 Taylor 214 CE DLX KOA
2008 Slash Les Paul Standard

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 08:14:23 AM »
i agree with nothing wrong with buying online. but once you know exactly what you want

Taylors are consistent enough to buy online, but I recall playing 3 examples of the exact same model of anther brand in a store and clearly experienced a substantial difference in their playability and tone (if you must know, an oversees made Breedlove)
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

fuman

So much of this is personal preference.  I am not a huge fan of rosewood, which most people crave.  I am crazy for ovangkol, but I own a maple GS.  I think the GS/16 is the best body shape; a lot of people prefer the GA/14, and still others prefer a dreadnaught.  I recently played a 412, non-cutaway, satin-finished, no electronics and it was phenomenal.  So you never know.  I would say that's the best reason to get out and play different examples.  If it's a lifetime purchase, take your time and find the right one for you.