Author Topic: Do any of you miss the sound of the old Taylor 800s?  (Read 9372 times)

AVTaylor83

Re: Do any of you miss the sound of the old Taylor 800s?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »
Did any of the forum members try the new 800s serious with 80/20 elixir instead of phosphor bronze to get it sound more like the legacy?

I heard back in the days, Taylors came standard with 80/20 and Andy Powers changed it
I'm definitely curious how the new 800's would sound with 80/20's.  The PB's aren't bad strings, I just gravitate more to the 80/20's, especially with rosewood.  My GA7 sounds way too dark with PB's.

However, I recently took my GA5 in and tried it out against a new 814 and a CV 914.  All 3 guitars had Elixir PB's on them.  My GA5 blew them away, in both volume and clarity.  I felt like the 914 came in 2nd.  The 814 was very mellow in comparison.  I can't imagine things being much different with 80/20's.  The differences in characteristic would still be there.

I respect Taylor for thinking about the future, and one of the great things about their company over the years is that even with changes, they still offer a variety for everybody.  I hope that continues to be the case, because I'm not liking the direction they're taking with the new bracings.  To me it's somewhere between a Taylor and a Martin, and I'm sure that will bring Taylor more business in the future from players that wouldn't have otherwise bought one of their guitars.  But I hope they don't seek out to "mellow" every single model, because there are those of us that started playing Taylors in the first place (particularly the GA's) for that 'shimmery' modern tone that we weren't finding with the other brands.  In fairness, I have yet to try the new 614, and I would like to.  But from what I've read, and the few sound clips I've heard, I get the impression that it's going a similar direction to the new 814.

I had thought about selling my GA5, but now after comparing it with the newer Taylors, I'm convinced more than ever that I need to keep it.
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
As the owner of an older 814, I was very curious to hear for myself what the new model is all about, and this past weekend I had a chance to spend about an hour playing one ... along with some other guitars.  My immediate impression is that the new 814 is a vast improvement over the model I own:  beefier bottom end, better balanced, and even more responsive to a light touch.  As for those other guitars I played ... about 5 different Collings models that I thought weren't as good as the new 814, and typically cost twice as much.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Sprintbob

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 03:27:18 PM »
A very short spin on a 2015 814 did not blow me away relative to my 2013 814. That said, my 2014 812 12 fret continues to amaze me. In fairness, I'm not a fan of Elixir strings that are OEM on all Taylors. I use TI Plectrums on my 814 and 812 and my ears are biased to the sound I get from them (which I like a lot).
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 10:45:03 AM »
Did any of the forum members try the new 800s serious with 80/20 elixir instead of phosphor bronze to get it sound more like the legacy?

I heard back in the days, Taylors came standard with 80/20 and Andy Powers changed it
I'm definitely curious how the new 800's would sound with 80/20's.  The PB's aren't bad strings, I just gravitate more to the 80/20's, especially with rosewood.  My GA7 sounds way too dark with PB's.

However, I recently took my GA5 in and tried it out against a new 814 and a CV 914.  All 3 guitars had Elixir PB's on them.  My GA5 blew them away, in both volume and clarity.  I felt like the 914 came in 2nd.  The 814 was very mellow in comparison.  I can't imagine things being much different with 80/20's.  The differences in characteristic would still be there.

I respect Taylor for thinking about the future, and one of the great things about their company over the years is that even with changes, they still offer a variety for everybody.  I hope that continues to be the case, because I'm not liking the direction they're taking with the new bracings.  To me it's somewhere between a Taylor and a Martin, and I'm sure that will bring Taylor more business in the future from players that wouldn't have otherwise bought one of their guitars.  But I hope they don't seek out to "mellow" every single model, because there are those of us that started playing Taylors in the first place (particularly the GA's) for that 'shimmery' modern tone that we weren't finding with the other brands.  In fairness, I have yet to try the new 614, and I would like to.  But from what I've read, and the few sound clips I've heard, I get the impression that it's going a similar direction to the new 814.

I had thought about selling my GA5, but now after comparing it with the newer Taylors, I'm convinced more than ever that I need to keep it.

Is your GA5 a Cedar or Sitka Spruce top?
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

AVTaylor83

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 01:35:59 PM »
Cedar top.  I'm amazed at how much projection I can get with it. 
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 02:08:40 PM »
Cedar top.  I'm amazed at how much projection I can get with it.

That's why I love my cedar topped 514ce so much...it is a cannon, has amazing bass response, very warm and growly, yet still brings some of the Taylor shimmer.  I would choose it before almost any rosewood/sitka guitar because sometimes RW's brights are just TOO bright for me and the overtones can, at times, be overmuch.  Like the hog clarity.  But everyone has different ears.  Looks like you and I are in similar camps :).

November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Jimmer

• My first Taylor is a GS Mini
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 04:21:12 PM »
wep.. pertty much 50 50
Has anyone started a pole? I would if i knew how
GSMini
214sb