Author Topic: Slightly over-humidified my guitar case....  (Read 1558 times)

Bill Evans

Slightly over-humidified my guitar case....
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:40:42 AM »
Hello,

Some advice please. I guess I over-humidified my guitar case as I have noticed some fine white mould growing on the velvet at the headstock end. I've brushed it off and have left the case open to 'air' thoroughly. It seems to have cured the problem. No more mould. I don't want it to recur.

So, a few questions:

* will the mould come back?
* if it does, is there a permanent way to deal with it?
* if left untreated, is there any threat to the guitar itself?

Taylor support weren't that helpful. They suggested that I buy another case. The problem isn't really bad enough to warrant that.

Many thanks.

Bill Evans (Shrewsbury, UK)
3 G&L electrics and 2 Taylor acoustics

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Slightly over-humidified my guitar case....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:09:48 PM »
I would do whatever possible to mechanically remove the mold itself, such as wiping and vacuuming the case interior.  Then I would leave the open case out in the sun or under a UV lamp to fry the remaining spores that might be lingering.  Another possibility is leaving the case open but inside a car parked left in the hot sun to bake them.  If the mold comes back then you probably have to resort to chemical warfare - vinegar or diluted bleach solutions, antifungal sprays, ozone generators (as used for smell removal), and similar measures.  There was some recent discussion here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392267&highlight=mold
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Bill Evans

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:33:48 PM »
Many thanks Earl,

Very helpful.

Bill
3 G&L electrics and 2 Taylor acoustics

etzeppy

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »
Baking soda works pretty good on mold. Mix a halve tablespoon in a spray bottle of water, dampen the area, let dry, vacuum up any residue. I couldn't image that would do any damage to the case.

fmbstrummer

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »
If my case, I would use a product called Concrobium Liquid Mold Remover.  Comes in a spray bottle.  I purchased from a big box home improvement store.  It worked on a couple of projects where I needed to kill the spore.  Where I used it, it did not stain or "bleach" the surface sprayed on.  I noticed the product is available in a powder form.  May be just the ticket for the case lining. 

A final step of drying in the sun sounds good as well.   

Do you see mold on the guitar, inside or out? 

FMB

nobodeuno

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
Baking soda and a fan at room temps for a few days...