Author Topic: Best strings for GS Mini??  (Read 51735 times)

marc55

Best strings for GS Mini??
« on: July 09, 2016, 07:32:41 AM »
I'm picking up a very nice pre-owned GS Mini today, and I'd like to know what strings you guys use on yours?

I'm just getting back into playing after many years, so kind of new at this.

I prefer really light strings, but not sure how they will sound on the GS Mini, so any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

m

EDIT: Picked her up a few days ago, and all I can say, this is an excellent guitar for the price point! All I need to do is lower the action slightly.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:12:15 PM by marc55 »
2017 Taylor Roadshow GS Mini AA-KOA, Ltd
2014 Collings Baby- Flamed Maple
1973 Guild D55

Redwood Tree

Re: Best strings for GS Mini??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:46:22 AM »
 Hi Marc55
 Just put a set of Elixir Med  Phos bronze and thats all you need , after about a week, they settle in and sound the same for months ! and feel great all the while,
 The GS Mini with it's scale length, make Mediums  feel like lights, There made for Meds and any less , you loose volume and Power.
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:20:02 AM »
Hi Marc55
 Just put a set of Elixir Med  Phos bronze and thats all you need , after about a week, they settle in and sound the same for months ! and feel great all the while,
 The GS Mini with it's scale length, make Mediums  feel like lights, There made for Meds and any less , you loose volume and Power.
I agree with Tom. Give the mediums a try. I use lights on my full sized Taylor's and was nervous about mediums on the GSM.....until I really tried them. No lights for me. The mediums on the shorter scale (less string tension) are wonderful. You just have to give them a shot and don't be locked into "I can only play with lights".
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

gsminiMT

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »
I agree with the previous posts re using Medium strings.

But experiment with different brands and alloys to get the tone you are really looking for.  In my experience not all mediums "feel" the same, and then you've got 92-8, 80-20, phos bronze, coated vs uncoated.

I'm still "auditioning" strings on my Sitka Spruce/Rosewood Mini, but on my all Koa mini I like phos bronze, but am trying different brands to see what I like best.

Enjoy the journey!
'15 Taylor GS MINI e KOA
'75 Yairi DY 57
G&L ASAT Classic
G&L Legacy
Fender Thinline Telecaster
Les Paul Std.
Ibanez AS93-VLS Artcore Flamed Sycamore 
Lanikai Spalted Maple Tenor Ukulele

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »
+1 on mediums here. I have lights on the koa mini for my wife but it does lose something and the shorter scale offsets the mediums.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 10:46:56 AM »
+2 on the mediums . Mine was set up with HD lights ( the store I bought it from thought it was the recommended string for all Taylors... hmm?) They still sound good, but I will be switching to PB Mediums as soon a I get the chance.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

crgoddard

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
I recently had D'Addario EJ17-3D Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Medium, 13-56 put on my mini koa. I like them. Not sure if I like them better than the Elixirs yet or if its just different.

jbcrotty

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »
I agree with the rest of those voting mediums.  They work well and are Taylor's recommendation for the GSM.

However, what brand of string to use is a very personal choice.  The Elixir's that Taylor puts on the GSM stock, and that many people use, sound very bright to me - almost "tinny" on the GSM.  I prefer the d'Addario Phosphor bronze mediums.  They just sound a bit more mellow and rich to my ears, and they are much less expensive.  I've heard good things about John Pearce mediums and am going to try those, as well as Martin SP's - but I have tried neither of these yet.

My recommendation is buy a few different string brands in the medium gauge and swap them out every few weeks until you find the strings that are right for you.

Pearlie

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 07:02:56 PM »
Hi Marc55
I agree with Tom. Give the mediums a try. I use lights on my full sized Taylor's and was nervous about mediums on the GSM.....until I really tried them. No lights for me. The mediums on the shorter scale (less string tension) are wonderful. You just have to give them a shot and don't be locked into "I can only play with lights".

I tried the Mediums that came on the Mini but just didn't like them at all after a month or two.  I changed out to Elixir PB Nano Med/Lights. The neck had to be tweaked just a bit.  I did like them better. Guess it was the trebles that were giving me trouble; the lighter weight trebles were much better.