Author Topic: 322 opinions appreciated...  (Read 2325 times)

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
322 opinions appreciated...
« on: February 09, 2016, 02:44:51 AM »
Just before Christmas I was on the hunt for a small guitar for daughter #2, and ended up with the fabulous Mini Koa.  But along the way I fell in love with the 322e 12-Fret SEB.  I can't get it out of my head.  It looks and plays terrifically, and I remember my amazement at the richness of the tone and the complete balance of the guitar.  Although I play the Mini a lot, daughter #2 keeps reminding me that it's not mine, so I'm starting to think about my own new "everyday player".  The 322e 12-Fret SEB literally ticks all the boxes.

But here's the thing.  I notice that there is now a 2016 edition of this guitar, which I haven't seen or played.  So I'm calling on the vast experience and wealth of knowledge amoung my fellow UTGFers.  Before I make the effort to hunt one down or to order one for a trial, what can I expect from the 2016 edition compared to the current one?  The major differences are:

• Both are mahogany topped
  • The 2016 has Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides compared to the original Sapele
  • The 2016 has standard bracing with relief rout, compared to "12 fret bracing" on the current edition

Aesthetically there are a few subtle and not-so-subtle differences, with the 2016 winning in my opinion (I just think the Blackwood looks more "high-end").

sojiro

Re: 322 opinions appreciated...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »
I just played the 2016 322 12 fret last night. I haven't played the 322 12 fret with Sapele back and sides, but I read another review that said the Sapele 322 sounds very similar to the hog-topped GS Mini. Makes sense to me. (I own a hog Mini, and the 322 isn't that much larger.)

The guitar played very nicely, and the blackwood sounded very different from Sapele to me (although the wood looks sort of like Sapele). It's actually sounds closer to rosewood without the chime, or maybe even like koa.

I don't mean this in a bad way (this is the Taylor forum, after all,) but my first impression was that this guitar sounds like a Taylor. It has that signature Taylor sound that you'd instantly recognize in a blind recording.

This guitar came with Elixer HD Lights, and I personally don't like the added tension in the treble strings in this set. This particular guitar needed a setup as well, because it didn't play as nicely as other 12 frets I've played. I tried to ignore both of these things to keep an open mind.

In the end I thought the guitar was nice, but not a must have for me. I was interested in this guitar because of the low price point and the fact that it's a 12 fret grand concert. If this was a first guitar or even a second guitar, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. But for me I'd rather pay the (substantial) difference and get the 712 12 fret, which I think sounds phenomenal.

So all in all the 322 didn't wow me, but that doesn't mean it isn't a fine guitar.

To George's original question, if it came down to the 322 SEB and the 2016 blackwood 322, I'd probably choose the blackwood 2016.

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:54:11 PM »
George-
I just took delivery on a 2016 322ce.
I'll post my impressions in a new thread.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »
George --

I can't speak directly to the differences in the 'old' and 'new' 322.  But I've played Taylor guitars made of Spruce/Sapele and Spruce/Blackwood, so my impressions there might give you a little insight into the comparative differences in the 322 models.

The best analog for Sapele is Mahogany; the two are close cousins when it comes to tone.  Similarly, Blackwood can come quite close to duplicating Brazilian Rosewood.  I've played a number of Taylors made with Blackwood:  several of the 2014 Fall Limited 500's and a Custom GA in Spruce/Blackwood; the only 'clunker' I found among them was the 518e-FLTD.  I don't know what it was, but Blackwood just didn't work on the Grand Orchestra body.  But I've also noted that the GO is kind-of temperamental when it comes to the woods used...

All that being said, I think the main difference you'll find between the two woods is warmth vs. clarity.  Which you prefer is going to ultimately be your decision.

Good luck!
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Well, now I can give an honest-to-God opinion about the new 322; I got to try one (a 12-fret) today at a "New for 2016/Find Your Fit" event at Willcutt Guitars.

Frankly, I thought the new Mahogany/Blackwood 322 was outstanding!  The best description of its tone I think I can offer is:  dark and clear, with a touch of warmth -- a really full-sounding guitar.  I liked it much more than the old Mahogany/Sapele combination, which sounded very warm, but somewhat muddy to me.

But I tend to gravitate to bright-sounding guitars, so take my reaction with a grain of salt in making your decision about the guitar YOU want...  Ultimately you'll have to play one yourself and decide if the changes are more- or less-appealing to your ears, George.  You may prefer that really warm Mahogany/Sapele combination.
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

Gordo in OZ

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:34:52 AM »
I don't know if its just me, but Sapele smells 'funny'. Its not unpleasant but its not pleasant either. I prefer my guitars to not smell of anything.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 09:01:20 AM »
I don't know if its just me, but Sapele smells 'funny'. Its not unpleasant but its not pleasant either. I prefer my guitars to not smell of anything.

Well, for good or bad, that's how I perceive all of these woods:  no scent.  I have no sense of smell... :-\