Author Topic: How many still have the original strings  (Read 4587 times)

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
Re: How many still have the original strings
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 07:36:27 AM »
i play quite a lot so aim for 6 month change or if a string breaks whichever comes first
taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp

Willhubbs

• Peach Guitars
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 08:48:34 AM »
Well I'm an awkward combination of:

1. Acidic hands like something out of Alien.
2. Play a lot of percussive fingerstyle where I use harmonics frequently (these dull away long before the strings sound for strumming).
3. Work in a guitar shop so strings are easily acquired.

So I've changed my coated strings on my Taylor twice already in 4 months, and honestly they're overdue another change!
Will

Taylor fan and website/online shop running chap for Peach Guitars in Essex, UK.

http://www.peachguitars.com/

Taylor 712e-FLTD
Martin D-28

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 12:23:18 AM »
not even close to original strings on any of mine, even the fairly new ones but that's because I'm playing more this last year...putting in the hrs on these new Taylors with a hard driving rhythm style.....another reason is I've enjoyed trying different kinds of strings the last few months, so sometimes a couple of weeks and I'm ready to try the next set, mostly on my two dreads.....maybe I should donate those strings to someone, huh? another thing I do is take the 2-4 week old mediums I've tried on the dreads, clip the curly ends, and that makes for an easy re-string on my mini hog...might as well experiment twice with the same set of strings....it still amazes me how much a guitar's sound can change with different strings and a different pick.....my next string tryout is the Martin Tony Rice Monels...sounds like they work best bringing out the natural wood tones of "older" guitars like the vintage Martins, but I'll see what they do for my 520, and maybe try the lights on my 514 .....don't you love reading those threads once in a while (AGF) where they go on and on about what a "real" guitar is supposed to sound like?
Music.....the Universal Language!

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 04:41:04 PM »
anybody try those Martin Monel strings on their Taylors....probably defeats the purpose of the mids and highs of a Taylor but I'll find out next week when I throw the mediums on my 520...

Dwight

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 05:30:47 PM »
I'm still on the original strings on my 2011 914ce.

drrohle

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »
Just don't use the Eric Clapton signature strings on her!  Me and my friend tried them on his Martin & my Taylor last year.  Both wore divits in the frets in less than 3 months! And we only play like 10 min. a day on average.

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
good to know, drrohle.....thanks