Author Topic: New to Taylor guitars.  (Read 1062 times)

tylerlayne

New to Taylor guitars.
« on: June 19, 2023, 08:26:13 PM »
Hello all! I'm a new member here and recently bought my first Taylor Guitar. It is a 2008 414ce. I bought it from Guitar Center. When I first inquired about the guitar(bought it sight unplayed) I called the Guitar Center the guitar was at (about 300 miles away from me) and told them I was interested in it. They were asking $1700. for it. I talked them down to $1600 and bought the guitar. About 5 minutes later the Guitar Center called me back and said the guitar had issues with the neck and If I still wanted it I could get it for $1350. The guy was sounding like the guitar was awful. So mI told him I would pass on it. I thought about for a couple of days and decided I would call them and make a offer on it. I called and offered them $850. and the guy said they could not go that low. So I asked them what is the least amount they would take for it and they said $1000. So I bought it. It took 3 days for it to get to my house so during that time I contacted Taylor and asked them who their local certified luthier was in my city. They gave me his name and number. When The guitar arrived I was expecting a terrible neck on the guitar. I took it out of the box and then its case and was amazed. Looking at it I saw nothing wrong with the neck at all. I did not have the guitar for even 12 hours and took it to the Taylor luthier here. He looked at it and said he would do a neck reset, fret dressing, set up and a new set of Elixirs for $129. The luthier did a excellent job on the guitar. Well worth the $129. and the 2 week wait. I play the guitar every day since I got it back and it sounds truely amazing. I leave my Martin hanging on the wall now and grab my Taylor instead. I feel like I got a awesome deal for such a great guitar. I love the Ovangkol back and sides.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: New to Taylor guitars.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 10:37:36 AM »
Welcome Tyler.  You got a good deal and glad that it all worked out.  My 2001 414ce was my first Taylor, bought new, and quickly became my primary instrument.  It did just fine for gigs for years.  I eventually sold it about three years ago for about what you paid.  It was still a fine guitar but I was looking to simplify and thin the herd.  (The new owner reached out last winter asking about one of my other Taylor guitars that we had discussed, but that one isn't going anywhere).
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: New to Taylor guitars.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 08:45:18 PM »
Welcome Tyler, sounds like a great deal for you. Like Earl, my first Taylor was a new 2002 414. I still have it and will never part with it....I love it that much. Enjoy your 414ce!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!