Author Topic: New member from the north east UK  (Read 1796 times)

AndyAy

New member from the north east UK
« on: December 29, 2021, 04:30:47 PM »
Hi all. How did I end up here? Well, I changed the strings on my 214ce (and my K24) to my usual Elixirs 12's but found they were cutting into my fingers (have they changed the design?), so I went searching for what others were using and ended up here. Anyway as it happens I've put d'addario silk and steel 11,s on the 214, and bought some La Bella s and s 12's to try in a few weeks. So far the 11's are ok, but not a vast difference in comfort, and a bit less headroom when digging in with strumming. Quite like the all steel colour though....

I only do (did;thanks covid) a few gigs a year and mostly solo with vocals/harmonica, and mostly with the 214, it's a great workhorse. The K24 is nice and sweet for unplugged, intimate and safe gigs like posh recitals. I used to use the Dove but it's got a very narrow (38mm) neck and, like the K24, is a bit too tasty to cart around. I had a Hummingbird for a while but p/ex'd for the K24. Still feel bad about letting it go, so no more part exes for me. I know you can only play one at a time, but once you've gigged a guitar there's a part of you inside it for ever. Sniff.

I suffer from G.A.S. and quite fancy a Maton (808) and a Martin (D28) next, ooh and a nice Taylor Limited Edition 914ce Grand Auditorium Lutz Spruce / Indian Rosewood, and, and....well you get the idea.
Martin D42 re-imagined 2018, D41 Ambertone 2021
Gibson Dove Custom Shop 1960’s reissue
Taylor K24ce 2018 v-class
Taylor 214ce BLK DLX custom
Taylor GS mini-e Koa Plus
Colombus Hummingbird c.1970
Yamaha 12 string FG420 E12

Gibson SG standard 1972 (cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Custom Ebony 1995
Gibson Nighthawk Ltd. Edn. (Chicago Blue) 2011
Fender American Strat (black/rosewood) 2001
Pacifica 303 12 string electric (trans blue)
Squire affinity Chinese strat

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: New member from the north east UK
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 08:53:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum AndyAy.  Sounds like you have the same acquiring bug that most of us have here.  There is no cure of course.   ;D   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
Welcome Andy, happy to have you here.
I use Elixirs on all my acoustics, and have noticed no change in them.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

AndyAy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »
@ Mgap and TaylorGirl. Thank you  for your warm welcome.

Yes, the Elixirs thing is an odd one. Maybe I got some fakes, or maybe as I'm getting older (60, just) my fingers are losing their padding....

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 06:53:42 PM »
Welcome Andy!

Hope you enjoy your stay with us, and I do understand your guitar dreams; I'm a recovering GAS-aholic myself!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:02:08 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

PaulWood

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 08:18:43 AM »
Firstly, I want to wish all Members of the Forum a Happy New Year. I'm enjoying linking up with you and long may it last!
Welcome to the forum Anday, from a fellow-UK member I'm based down on the South coast (so, you may refer to me as a 'Southern girl's party dress'! but that's just British humour for you!
I have, in the past, suffered from the problem you're having with your fingertips, particularly during a period of ill-health. I know the feeling well - it looks like the tips are all wrinkled and that there is very little 'meat' (padding) inside. For a while I found that painting the tips with super glue (about 30 mins before playing) helped a bit.
This was a couple of years ago, and my fingers have recovered under their own steam. they've been OK for a long time now, so it shouldn't take too long BUT you must keep playing, so that your finger-tips get motivated to protect themselves - I do at least an hour a day.
Hope that helps!!
Paul

AndyAy

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 05:07:34 PM »
@ Strumming Fool and Paul Wood thank you for your welcome.

I play several times every day, mostly my Taylors, for at least an hour ( which annoys my partner ), as i feel I have to justify having such nice guitars and also I lose my gig readyness quickly if I don't. I usually go through a full hour and a half gig every day and then practice some new stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I have tried the superglue when one of my callouses cracked a while back, but it makes a mess when it starts to peel off!

I am suffering from ill health at the moment so maybe that's the problem. Still managed a Christmas eve gig though....

PaulWood

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 07:46:01 AM »
Hi Anday. You're right about the superglue peeling off and I suspect it may not last an hour and a half, but it does give some respite if your fingertips are tender - it's important to apply it at least 30 minutes before playing. Oh, and keep your hands to yourself while waiting for it to harden!

DenverSteve

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 04:26:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Andy. Northeast UK....? What's that?  York? Aberdeen? Edinburgh?... All are some of my favorite places. I see your idea list. Have you looked at the Taylor 717?  I'm a lifelong Martin player who has many different boutique and other-builder guitars. I recently purchased a 717e that checks almost every box from quality build, tone, sustain, volume, looks.... and most importantly for a professional player - price point.  These are truly swiss-army-knife guitars. Loud, gorgeous, affordable... and for someone like me that requires a guitar to be equally enjoyable to play (for me) as the audience (amplified).  The only boxes this model doesn't tick for me are size and weight.  I usually perform with OM/000 or Grand Concert sized guitars.  This is a full-size (although very comfortable) and mine weighs 4.93 pounds. However, it is such an excellent guitar that these quickly fall off the radar as you play.