Author Topic: oasis soundhole humidifier  (Read 1396 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
oasis soundhole humidifier
« on: December 29, 2019, 10:41:35 AM »
With the cold season upon us I find that the home furnace has been  working over time.  I generally keep my guitars in a dedicated room that is humidified to 45 - 50 rh.  however in the guitar cases the rh is running a bit low more like 39%.  When I pulled out my three oasis soundhole humidifiers I find that the casing that sweats the water is leaking and drips out, rendering them useless, and potentially damaging.

When I went down to my local guitar shop he did not have Oasis sound hole humidifiers.  What I did get was the Kyser Lifeguard humidifier.  I have been switching it around from guitar to guitar but want to get a couple more humidifiers to replace the other two Oasis models.

What type of humidifiers are being used out there now for sound hole type humidifiers.  Do you think I would be better off to replace the Oasis humidifiers with Oasis humidifiers( I do have replacement crystals) or is there something else out there that I am not aware of these days? or are the Kyser Lifeguard humidifiers good over the long term and worth getting more of them.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
Re: oasis soundhole humidifier
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
 Try my non-patented budget sound hole humidifier idea, below

Take a Ziploc bag, preferably sandwich size. Poke about 1000 holes in it with a fork.   Take a new clean  cellulose sponge,  soak it thoroughly and then blot it almost dry with a towel.

You don't want it to leak, so make sure it is only moist, not wet! NO DRIPS WANTED

Slip it between the strings, with the zipper hanging out.

Bingo, you're in business. Nothing to leak, nothing to  scratch your instrument, should stay moist for a week or so at least, even in the driest parts of the country as long as it's properly cased.

And, perhaps, best of all, if you forget it at a gig you're only out about $.50!

I've been using these for over 20 years and never had a problem. By the way, as far as I know it's my invention!

Cheers

Paul

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 06:02:06 PM »
I like the Oasis case humidifiers for my purposes as they don't need to sit in the soundhole. RH ranges from 43-45% in the cases while the room RH is at 35%. I fill the Oasis (2 per case here in AZ) once a week.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Taylor224

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 08:51:59 PM »
We do not have a whole house humidifier, with a pan on the stove we can keep it around 35-40 most days. I use the Humidipaks.  The one with the 224 is almost 6 months old.  Still keeping it in the case at 46 and feels almost brand new.  The one at work is holding up, keeps the 214 in the low 40's RH, but will likely need to be replaced a bit sooner.  The one at work also has a sound hole sponge, Music Nomad.  RH at work is in the mid 20's RH.
“I’m gonna be a happy idiot, and struggle for the legal tender”

1982 Washburn D10CE/B
2019 Taylor 224CE-K DLX
2019 Taylor 214CE
Guild D1212 12 String

Gary

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »
I like the Oasis case humidifiers for my purposes as they don't need to sit in the soundhole. RH ranges from 43-45% in the cases while the room RH is at 35%. I fill the Oasis (2 per case here in AZ) once a week.

I live southeast of Tucson. Humidity is below 10% for long periods, then 80%+ during monsoon. One learns fast that monitoring guitar humidity isn’t an option but a must. I use a verity of case and soundhole humidifiers. A hygrometer is one of the main tools needed and checked often. I buy the $20+ Oasis hygrometer and found a look-a-like on Amazon for about half price. I bought one, tested it against my other 6 hygrometers, it was right on, so thats a better deal.

Regarding a cheap case humidifier, $1 travel soap dish, drill holes in the top, use a moistened sponge inside. I use a rubberband around it just to make sue it cannot open. Only moisten sponge enough, so no dripping.

Down here in the borderlands its a real pain to have a guitar collection. A humidified cabinet would be the easiest but costly to build or buy.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 04:04:26 PM »
Here's another Oasis product that could fit the bill - might try one of these....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:52:20 AM by Strumming Fool »

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
Here's another Oasis product that could fit the bill - might try one of these....

SF-- not getting any kind of link, or description for the Oasis humidifier you are wanting to tell us about.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:52:53 AM »

SF-- not getting any kind of link, or description for the Oasis humidifier you are wanting to tell us about.

Sorry - let's try this one:

https://www.oasishumidifiers.com/product/oasis-hh-combo-oh-30-humidifier-hygrometer/

Gary

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 01:20:27 PM »
A drip resistant sponge. That’s cool. I’d buy a few, sponge only, if there is a link. Thanks

SDTaylorman

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »

Sorry - let's try this one:

https://www.oasishumidifiers.com/product/oasis-hh-combo-oh-30-humidifier-hygrometer/

The big problem I see with that one is that having the hygrometer literally on top of the sponge is bound to give you false readings (higher than the rest of the case).

A drip resistant sponge. That’s cool. I’d buy a few, sponge only, if there is a link. Thanks

A while ago there was a discussion about the kind of sponges those are ("PVA sponges") and that they're far cheaper to get them from elsewhere if you know what type of sponge to ask for. There were some Amazon links in that thread but I've no time to go search for it right now. $8 for a little sponge is outrageous IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:28:05 PM by SDTaylorman »

Gary

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 03:45:45 PM »
Just found PVA sponges, a large lot of 60 pieces, many sizes on eBay, $10 shipped to door. I’ll try them for long term like in the guitar’s storage compartment to keep the case humidity up. Cheap enough to toss if any mold forms. I’ll get light colored for that reason and a clear soap dish for easy viewing. Some cases dry out faster than others.

On my case I cut ‘V’ wedges, 3 on each side of compartment lid for circulation. I used a Japanese razor saw.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:01:32 PM by Gary »

sacredground

• Give me a good guitar...or two good guitars, or...
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 09:00:01 PM »
My absolute all time favorite...[drum roll]

Our whole house humidifier with digital hygrometer on the wall in the family room where the guitars live.
Making music since 1973

Lowden Bensusan adi over honduran rw
Lowden Pierre Bensusan Old Lady
2019 Taylor 914ce V Class Sitka over EIR
2019 614ce Torrefied Sitka over flamed maple