Author Topic: A little disappointed in Taylor on this one.....  (Read 4278 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: A little disappointed in Taylor on this one.....
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 05:30:46 AM »
my wife spent over 2 weeks making 2 of these 3D cutting boards and wouldn’t sell them for even $200. There’s a lot of work involved in crafted items not to mention the cost of materials.
Her son plays the piano quite well and one will be a gift.
:D Danny

So beautiful!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »
my wife spent over 2 weeks making 2 of these 3D cutting boards and wouldn’t sell them for even $200. There’s a lot of work involved in crafted items not to mention the cost of materials.

Things you can see from space:

1 - The Grand Canyon

2 - The Great Wall of China

3 - Your photos

In the name of all that's holy can you PLEASE resize the photos to a reasonable size, my 800 pixels on the long side??

Sorry about that but I've been in a windows vortex for months now since it got stuck between update 1809 and 1903.
It would update then erase several times a week until I decided reset the whole mess.
I've got that corrected now but windows deleted my photo editing programs so I posted from my cell phone.
I under your frustration but kindnesses goes a long way.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:18:08 PM by woodnut »
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini koa
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini Rosewood
Custom Taylor 412ce 12 fret Ovankol with Koa bindings

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 03:53:19 PM »

Wow Danny - the board looks too nice to cut on top of it ;)
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 03:59:23 PM »
...Most people would think spending 500.00 on a musical instrument is a lot of money let alone 5,000 - 10,000.  Do you think some would think us crazy at spending that kind of coin on a guitar.

Definitely my wife, for one...LOL!
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 06:54:25 PM »

1 - The Grand Canyon

3 - Your photos

In the name of all that's holy can you PLEASE resize the photos to a reasonable size, my 800 pixels on the long side??

Sorry about that but I've been in a windows vortex for months now since it got stuck between update 1809 and 1903.
It would update then erase several times a week until I decided reset the whole mess.
I've got that corrected now but windows deleted my photo editing programs so I posted from my cell phone.

I wasn't trying to be mean, but one of the things I've noticed since joining this forum is that the vast majority of those who post photos here have no concept of what it means to resize them. I've mentioned it several times in the past. Some get it, most don't.

Apologies for coming across as mean or rude... It's frustration...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »

1 - The Grand Canyon

3 - Your photos

I wasn't trying to be mean, but one of the things I've noticed since joining this forum is that the vast majority of those who post photos here have no concept of what it means to resize them. I've mentioned it several times in the past. Some get it, most don't.

Apologies for coming across as mean or rude... It's frustration...
You may not have realized it but #4 could have been added. :o but I resisted the urge.
Apologies accepted.
One forum I post in you can't upload unless your photos are 640 pixels.

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
Back to the topic at hand...

My Mom has a booth at a local craft market. One of the booths has cutting boards that are really nice. Prices seem to start at around $40 and go up to around $100 for really big cutting boards. They're nice, and they're well made, but they don't seem to have the same level of craftsmanship as the Taylor boards.

I may pick one up; shop local and all...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 03:14:34 AM »
What I want to know is does food slice easier or taste better than on my 12 dollar cutting board. The word greed comes to mind.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 08:22:23 AM »
What I want to know is does food slice easier or taste better than on my 12 dollar cutting board. The word greed comes to mind.

Yeah, in loosely following this discussion I've wondered the same thing:  what is it that justifies the cost of a cutting board (from any merchant) that costs more than, say, $10-20?

The comparison has accurately been made that we all spend quite a premium on guitars compared to what we could pay for a Sears & Roebuck model -- but I think we can all agree that we see (and more importantly, hear) the difference between those two instruments.  In other words, quality and performance counts.  And to some degree, we are all willing to pay for aesthetic and/or artistic appeal as well.

Now, I will freely admit that I'm nothing more than a survival cook; meaning if I don't cook myself some food, I won't survive...  But even where kitchen cutlery is concerned, it's easy for me to see where a $100 knife that is made from high-grade stainless steel and stays super-sharp forever is cost-justified over a $5 knife from Wal*Mart that's guaranteed to dull and rust after cutting the first tomato...  So I'm having a hard time figuring out what justifies the premium -- even to a professional chef -- on a $150+ ebony cutting board that seemingly performs no better than one made from pine (or even plastic) and costing under $20.  OK, ebony probably looks nicer, is harder, and will hold up to abuse better than pine; but really, how much abuse does a cutting board get when one slices things like tomatoes on it -- even with that super-sharp $100 knife...?  And in the final analysis, the tomato doesn't care what the cutting board looks like... ???
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »
Ebony isn't available in my area in sizes large enough for a cutting board.
A internet search came up blank, just craft wood.
It appears it goes for upwards of $100 per board foot which is a piece 3/4" x 12" x 12".
In my professional opinion, if you want a nice cutting board to display or have when you're entertaining,  what their going for is a fair price.
Woods like Ebony, Cocobolo and Hawaiian Koa, among others, always go for a premium price, its supply and demand.
I have a lot of exotic woods, Ebony isn't one of them. If I were to need something so black I could Ebonize Eastern Maple.
Check out the price on this board https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/furniture-grade-recon-ebony-wood-timber_60444733538.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 12:24:55 PM by woodnut »

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 12:19:57 PM »
When I see people spending untold thousands of dollars on guitars, or even $70 for a single guitar pick (which is mind boggling), $150 for a well constructed cutting board seems like a relative bargain...

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 10:25:07 AM »

Yeah, in loosely following this discussion I've wondered the same thing:  what is it that justifies the cost of a cutting board (from any merchant) that costs more than, say, $10-20?

I know it's been a while, but I somehow just saw this.

As to price, the same could be said (and dangerously so on a guitar forum) about guitars. A Brazilian Olson can set you back $40,000, but it's not going to perform justifiably better than a Brazilian Taylor that sells for a quarter of the price. You could argue the high level of workmanship in the Olson, but a builder like David Wren up in Toronto puts the same level of craftsmanship into his guitars and also charges a fraction of what Olson charges.

So, is the board worth it? For some, absolutely, just as an Olson is worth $40K to them. For others, maybe; depends. I'm not buying an Olson anytime soon, but I would consider $150 for a nice quality cutting board that looks good and would last...

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 11:13:28 AM »

I know it's been a while, but I somehow just saw this.

As to price, the same could be said (and dangerously so on a guitar forum) about guitars. A Brazilian Olson can set you back $40,000, but it's not going to perform justifiably better than a Brazilian Taylor that sells for a quarter of the price. You could argue the high level of workmanship in the Olson, but a builder like David Wren up in Toronto puts the same level of craftsmanship into his guitars and also charges a fraction of what Olson charges.

So, is the board worth it? For some, absolutely, just as an Olson is worth $40K to them. For others, maybe; depends. I'm not buying an Olson anytime soon, but I would consider $150 for a nice quality cutting board that looks good and would last...

Yeah, I understand your point; and to some degree, we've all paid too much for something just because we liked it.  Like you, however, I won't be plunking down $40k on any guitar anytime soon...

But I guess I just don't get the 'upscale' pricing on something one is just going to take a knife to... :-\
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

416ce

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2020, 01:44:23 PM »
Yup Bob sure did flipped it before anybody else that can get their hands on and start cutting it up to use for bridges/pick guard/truss rod covers etc. ;)
Ahead of the curve here! 8)

It's all about the Benjamin's in the end folks. All about the Benjamin's. ;D

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 11:52:15 AM »
Just to revisit this, I got an e-mail with a link to a video, narrated by Bob Taylor, regarding "kitchenware":

https://vimeo.com/471241849/c431bfd03a?key=%40cXUB%2FiOJ2r%2B2N5lpVLJcDQ%3D%3D

It doesn't, to me, smack of greed at all, as has been suggested. These seem to be high quality products, produced by a high quality company, which is affording their workers a higher quality of life. Bob's got plenty of money. He doesn't need the relative few bucks the sale of cutting boards will generate.

I think what Taylor Guitars has done in Cameroon is laudable and should be celebrated. I think maybe I will order one of these cutting boards, and I'll look to see what they introduce in the future...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:55:32 AM by Shutterbug »