Author Topic: 614ce Standard and Builders Edition playoff  (Read 414 times)

sacredground

• Give me a good guitar...or two good guitars, or...
614ce Standard and Builders Edition playoff
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:55:11 PM »
Spent a final two hour session at one of Milwaukee’s LGS’s with two 614ce Builders Editions and a standard 614ce.

I left with the standard 614ce. One of the BE’s was very nice, and the top bevel oh so comfy. I’d describe it as having a very balanced ‘crystalline’ tone. The 614ce standard sounded more open, warmer and louder. The shop guys all played and listened to me play, and agreed.

After arriving home and playing for another hour (it’s the honeymoon, RIGHT?!) I called Taylor and spoke with Josh. When asked about the finish, he said the Taylor satin finish is thicker than the 3.5 micron gloss on the standard 614ce. He noted how they sound more open right out of the box...with more of a belly rumble in the bass. Mystery solved.

Time will tell if the satin finish ‘relaxes’ or whether it’s a definable niche within the Taylor sound. Thoughts? The BE I played is a terrific guitar...but I prefer the gloss finish and the prettier woods. The one I bought has a bit of bearclaw on the top. Compared to my 914 - which is velvety and rich - my new 614 is  louder,  has nice snap in the harmonics, more sustain and lots of ‘gears’ for meditative Fingerstyle, ragtime, blues, Beatles and Bach.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:48:22 PM by sacredground »
Making music since 1973

Lowden Bensusan adi over honduran rw
Lowden Pierre Bensusan Old Lady
2019 Taylor 914ce V Class Sitka over EIR
2019 614ce Torrefied Sitka over flamed maple

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: 614ce Standard and Builders Edition playoff
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »
Congrats on a great choice!  After eight months of ownership, the honeymoon with my 614 V class is still going strong. It sounded great out of the box, and it sounds even better today. Enjoy!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

sacredground

• Give me a good guitar...or two good guitars, or...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »
Congrats on a great choice!  After eight months of ownership, the honeymoon with my 614 V class is still going strong. It sounded great out of the box, and it sounds even better today. Enjoy!

SF...thanks. The quilted maple was not to be! But I’m NOT disappointed.
Making music since 1973

Lowden Bensusan adi over honduran rw
Lowden Pierre Bensusan Old Lady
2019 Taylor 914ce V Class Sitka over EIR
2019 614ce Torrefied Sitka over flamed maple

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »
Congratulations sacredground.  Hope you have many years of music together.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.