Author Topic: Strange behavior with tuner pedal  (Read 370 times)

Razzmatazz

Strange behavior with tuner pedal
« on: August 07, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »
Hi all,

How do you explain a tuner pedal that does not respond even at highest input volume except when I also maximize bass and treble of my ES2 equipped Taylor? When I leave the controls at 12h it's impossible to tune using the pedal.  It's my first tuner pedal (daddario).  I don't have any issue tuning my electric squier guitar, the tuner "replies" instantly.  The pedal is calibrated at 440 as per factory settings and I doubt I need a preamp to be able to use the tuner pedal.

Thanks for your insights!
Kr,
Razz
Taylor Big Baby (2007)
Taylor 214CE CF DLX (2018)
Taylor T5-S1 Cherry Sunburst (2005)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Strange behavior with tuner pedal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 09:21:19 PM »
May not help, but are you using a TRS jack end on your cable?  It is not clear why the electric works but the active ES2 doesn't....   The controls set at 12 o'clock should be unity gain, or 1.0 V out for 1.0 V in.  If you have a voltmeter, it might be useful to measure the output level when you pluck a string for each guitar.

I don't own any ES2 equipped guitars.  The latest one I have is a 2010 615ce with ES1.3.  All subsequent guitars have been purchased w/o pickups because I don't gig anymore and have plenty of other guitars still with electronics if ever I change my mind.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

beninma

Re: Strange behavior with tuner pedal
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »
Sounds odd because the Taylor systems have active preamps and put out a really strong signal.

BUT this is not really at odds with what I've been taught on a electric.  I've been taught to always max out the volume and tone knobs on my electric guitar and tune with the neck pickup.  You want settings that produce the most full signal possible, particularly with passive filters.  (But again I believe the Taylor systems are active EQ)

Pickup selection might be irrelevant on an acoustic.

I have an ES-B equipped Taylor and a Polytune 3 and it doesn't seem very sensitive to the level or tone knob on the guitar but I do make a point not to have them turned down.   I'd maybe try and try another D'addario tuner pedal to see if something is wrong with yours.