Author Topic: Sound Emulations With T5  (Read 829 times)

ebick

Sound Emulations With T5
« on: August 01, 2019, 11:59:16 PM »
I love my T5.  I love the feel, and the versatility.  But I’m kind of clueless when comes to trying to emulate specific sounds. I’ve seen demos where the T5 is made to sound like a Strat, or a Tele, just to name a few.  If this is something you’re good at, would you mind sharing your settings for any and all particular targets?
2006 Taylor T5S
2011 Taylor 814ce
2012 Taylor 214ce-n
2011 Taylor GS Mini
2012 Blueridge BR-40
2012 Alvarez ABT60
1982 Alvarez Yairi DY-46
1980 Gibson ES-175
1976 Gibson SG
1992 Yamaha FG-420-12A
2013 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass
2014 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass V
2013 Dean EAB

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Sound Emulations With T5
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »
What you're asking, truly, is something folks have been trying to do for eons with whatever guits they own.  E.g, thinning out an LP to sound more stratty; beefing up a strat to sound more like a humbucker; rewiring the strat to get a bridge/neck like a tele.  These just the most common desires I've heard and done myself; same goes for acoustic guits, right?  Folks with this wood top, or that body size trying to emulate another.  One's sonic wish list can be endless.  The bottom line is it depends on your level of "how close" is "close enough."

Answer to your question: EQ.  A graphic eq will get you in the neighborhood, a GEQ along with a parametric closer still.  But everything still lays in the hands of the operator: how you play and how you EQ, especially the latter.

Think of it this way: "what" are the dominant features to a strat's neck-pup sound?  Think about/analyze those frequencies (know the frequencies in Hz) in your head, then try it out on a GEQ and different pickup combinations.  And have a Strat for comparison, natch.  Keep at it and see/hear how close you can get.  Again, the result may or may not satisfy you, depending entirely on how sonically close you're trying to get.  Just in the ballpark (say for a gig and audience consumption), you'll get there with an "ok, sounds about right."  Demand more and fugghetaboutit!  The inherent sonic signature of guitars is precisely why folks own multiple electrics, acoustics, amps, pedals, etc. 

Edward

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 12:05:43 PM »
At a Road Show when they demonstrate that incredible range of T5 tones, they are doing two things:
1) Using an A-B box to swap between an electric guitar amp and an acoustic amp or into the PA
2) Making radical changes in on-board tone controls with each of the five pickup switch options

It is a well rehearsed ballet.  If you aren't adding these to your bag of tricks as Edward noted, it is unlikely you'll get the same results as the offical demo.  The problem with trying to do "everything" with one guitar is that many things get compromised along the way.  A pickup truck does different things than a sports car.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

beninma

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 03:29:14 PM »
And be realistic too.   Marc Seal who does a lot of the demos at the Road Show will flat out state in the demo.   "This guitar is our guitar, it can never fully replace a Strat or Tele or Les Paul".

Probably the Strat or the Tele moreso... because the T5 doesn't have single coil pickups.

The road show I went to it was rather hilarious Marc was warming up with a vintage Tele that the shop had on hand (he must have just wanted to try it) before the event started and someone came over and made a ridiculous derisive comment to the effect of "Why are you playing that piece of Fender ****" or something and Marc came up with a witty answer, he must have to deal with that from time to time.

I have a Tele and am no stranger to trying to play something and sound like a Strat or a Les Paul.   You are not going to have an easy time trying to reproduce a Strat sound that requires the Tremolo arm on a standard Tele or a T5 with no Tremolo!