Author Topic: Setup on a new guitar?  (Read 636 times)

Kevin H

Setup on a new guitar?
« on: July 17, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
I bought a new Taylor 324ce V Class about two weeks ago.  Absolutely love the guitar.  Very nice kind of an overall warmish well-rounded tone.

But, I've noticed a buzzing (thin) E string over the past few days.  This is my first over-a-few-hundred-$ guitar and I'm wondering if its normal to have to have a new guitar like this set up.  I've never had this happen on my earlier guitars, but they've been less expensive models, often with higher action, so they were probably less sensitive to humidity changes and all that.  The guitar is pretty much a home body - I don't take it out gigging or anything.  And I'm not hammering on it hard, just normal sort of finger picking. 

So, my question is, in your experience when buying a new guitar, do you usually find it needs adjustments so soon, and is this something you need to do regularly?

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Setup on a new guitar?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
Hi Kevin! Welcome to the forum!  I'm a fellow 324 owner as well!  And you hit the nail on the head about it being nice and warm overall but yet still wonderfully balanced.

I'm of the persuasion that all guitars need a set up.  When I bought my 324 brand new in 2016, the Taylor dealer told me to take it home, let it get used to the environment it would be in, then come back after a week or two and have it set up then.

I think that's what would serve you best.  Let the guitar just get used to your house for a bit, then take it in and they'll set it up however you'd like!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 01:32:08 PM »
I agree with Josh's comments - also, I assume that you're controlling humidity. If a guitar is dry (<40% relative humidity) the action can lower causing string buzz.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TG

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 11:01:52 PM »
also depends on where it's buzzing, my 214 is really picky about how the strings sit under the pin or it will buzz.  It took me forever to figure out that was the buzzing issue, now it just takes an extra 5 seconds when I put new strings on and the problem is fixed. 

I'm also a huge fan of having every guitar you own set up professionally, especially if you know how you like to play
1992 Taylor 410
2014 Taylor 214dlxCE
2016 Taylor 816CE
2017 Taylor K26CE
1995 Guild JF30-12
2007 Fender Jimmy Vaughan Strat
2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
I'm with the folks regarding need for a good set up on a new Taylor. I purchased a new 412e-R 2 years ago, and it needed a bridge, neck and nut adjustment before it played to my satisfaction. I think this is normal, as all players have different styles. Once done, you'll love it.

phavriluk

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »
Not yet mentioned is the need for a Taylor-authorized entity to do adjustments.  Especially if fiddling with the saddle enters the conversation.  Taylor has specific things to do with shimming the neck angle and not altering the saddle, and the techniques applied to most other guitars are not appropriate on a Taylor, especially a shiny new one.