Author Topic: rumor - GS currently discontinued?? RUMOR  (Read 959 times)

splendora

rumor - GS currently discontinued?? RUMOR
« on: July 14, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
Sorry to contribute what may just be a rumor or mistype; Karl of the Chicago Music Exchange has a post in another forum showing a very nice 716e for sale. In the post (with some gorgeous photos), he says:

"Taylor has currently discontinued the GS body shape to revamp for V-class bracing."

Inside track for a dealer? Internet rumor? You're guess is as good as mine. -)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: rumor - GS currently discontinued?? RUMOR
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »
my guess would be it is the next body shape to get V class bracing. summer NAMM is this week
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »
Another dealer told me they are gearing up for V-class GS and GO

AVTaylor83

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 01:39:59 PM »
Always thought the GS was just too low end heavy for my taste. With the “rounding out” of the Dred-style tone of the GP’s, I would think V-Class would do the same for the GS. Kind of a bridge between the hi-fi GA and vintage-esque GP.
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo

Coco Kid

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 04:00:07 AM »
To be honest I always found that Taylors sounded thin and weak the further you play up the neck (i.e., 5th fret onwards). E.g., If I capo on a seven, the cowboy chords have much less sustain compared to playing the cowboy chords without a capo. This was not an issue I had with other higher-end guitars, such as Bourgeois and Santa Cruz. Whether or not this was due to Taylor's bracing, relief route, or whatever, V-Class finally resolves this issue, however, at the cost of bass.

No doubt in a few years' time, Taylor will come out with "Revamped" V-Class bracing. Just like how there are many variations of X-bracing, there will be variations of V-Class bracing, and no doubt consumers will be "upgrading" and Taylor continuing to meet sales targets. V-Class is certainly not a short-term business plan for Taylor, their marketing department will have planned this in advance, and it's up to Andy to continue to do the R&D in order to be able to revamp V-Class every few years so that people will keep recycling their guitar stables.

I for one am out though - I'm tired of the constant "next best thing", when certain other brands of guitars that I consider Taylor is unable to match already meet my needs.

Supaflavenoid

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »
This is correct. GS and GO models are currently "out of production" until they are fully converted to V-class bracing. The quotations are because there are still some going through the production line to finish out some orders, but no new ones are being added to the schedule.  It shouldn't be very long, I'm looking forward to a V-class GO. It actually might divert my attention from the 517 I want to get.