Author Topic: My Guitar Pick Journey  (Read 1592 times)

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
My Guitar Pick Journey
« on: June 23, 2019, 04:23:19 PM »
I know this topic is individually subjective:

Until recently, I’ve never really paid any attention to pick sizes or materials.  I’ve played with a ‘351’ pick for years without even knowing what it was called.  Prior to a couple years back, I used Dunlop nylon .73s.  Then, I attended a Road Show with my son and he won a pack of Taylor medium celluloid 351 picks.  He gave me a couple and I played with those for a while to match my Taylors guitars and had no complaints.

After joining AGF and UTGF several years back, I become aware of the ‘pick variable’ conconering tone.  After reading rave reviews, I now want to experience the ‘high-end’ pick hype, but honestly, I’m too cheap and never really wanted to spend a lot on a pick.  Guitars?...definitely.  Strings?...maybe.  Picks?...definitely not, but I was curious (casein material, Blue Chip, Wegens, Charmed Life, etc…)  Being ‘pick frugal’, l purchased beveled Dunlop small triangle 1.4mm Primetone picks (with grip) and large triangle (smooth).  They were only $2 each.  I fell in love with the grip picks…wow.  Easy to hold and I appreciated the sound emanating from the guitar better than the Taylor celluloid.  I played happily with the Primetone 1.4 small triangles for years, but I still had that aching feeling I was not experiencing something wonderful by not playing with an ‘expensive pick’.

And I was happy…until I read all the recent posts on the new Taylor Thermex picks.  Then ‘pick envy’ was rekindled, and I purchased Dunlop jazz-style 1.5 Ultex, Taylor 351-style 1.5 Thermex, and John Pearse Fast Turtles 1.2 casein (the most expensive pick I’ve purchased).

Guess what?  The most expensive pick is the one I like least.  It is not as comfortable to handle and doesn’t sound better to me than Ultex or Thermex (which both are equal).  I liked the handling of the Dunlop and the sound of the Taylor…BUT…neither compared to my tried-and-true Primetone 1.4 small triangle, which I feel has it all.

So essentially, I was searching for a greener pasture when it was under my feet to begin with.  Lesson learned.  If you have something that makes you happy, there is no reason to search for something that might not exist.  Of course, playing my first cocobolo Taylor guitar was different, as it left me wanting to sell all my other guitars and make sacrifices to own one…which I did  ;D

YMMV.
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: My Guitar Pick Journey
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »
I've been playing with the same pick for  decades now, and have no desire to look any further. Very happy with my style and the pick ( and guitar) used to support it.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
Re: My Guitar Pick Journey
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 08:01:06 AM »
Nice post- I was in a similar situation as you - the first picks I was handed when I bought a Guitar were Fender mediums and tried several of the low priced Dunlop offerings in varying thicknesses, and it seemed no matter the material,  anything thicker than medium celluloid or .73 felt dead to me.  As a fingerstyle player first and foremost, I was content with that.  At a recent roadshow, I was given a Taylor pick sampler that included 1.0 and 1.3 primetones.  I didn’t immediately hate them and after hearing about these Thermex picks, I decided to give them a try (1.0 thickness).  They are now my favorites. These are hardly premium picks at $2 each, but I’m even more stoked to have discovered the D’Andrea Radex picks that I strongly suspect that the Thermex are based off of - for just under $1 a piece.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:11:11 AM by boneuphtoner »