Author Topic: Do you have a "beater" guitar? Why?  (Read 4327 times)

Violeiro

Do you have a "beater" guitar? Why?
« on: June 18, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
I see people posting quite often about having a "beater" guitar, I too once believed on having an inexpensive guitar to be my "beater." But, what is a "beater" guitar? Is it a guitar you take when camping, going to the beach, friends house, park....? I used to think so!

My thought today is - take the best guitar I have wherever possible! If going camping, beach...then I want to have my best, favorite guitar with me. Why leave it at home inside of the case? I can't take it with me when I die!

I do have a small guitar (Martin D Jr10) that I love to play when laying on the couch, and if I am taking a plane I would take with me so I can avoid checking in. But besides that, I want to enjoy my best guitar while I can.

What are your thoughts on a "beater" guitar?
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: Do you have a "beater" guitar? Why?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 03:04:49 PM »
I sort of agree.  I usually take on vacation a fairly expensive guitar with laminated back and sides, so I don't have to be worried about the elements and humidity changes quite so much.  I'm usually not happy taking a "travel" guitar.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

cc7

• The Elderly Brothers of Chicagoland on YouTube
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 03:37:29 PM »
I won't take a good guitar near a camp fire. I have a beater in my work office where temp and humidity are out of control. Outdoor and bar gigs get my RaInsong because it is impervious to heat from the sun/ humidity/cold and pretty resistant to abuse.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:31:28 PM by cc7 »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 03:57:46 PM »
I have no beater guitar. So I use what I have or don't bring one if it's too risky.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 04:29:39 PM »
No, I have no 'beater' guitar. I feel that would be disrespectful to both me and my attitude toward my instrument. And it would show in the end-product.

I would rather use the term 'practice' guitar, but for the most part, I am liable to practice on any guitar depending on whim. I actually bought my Alvarez as a practice guitar, since noticing some fretwear on my J200. At the time, the J200 was the only 6 string acoustic I owned.

Any guitar is fair game for playing out, but I will echo what was others have said about when conditions are less than ideal. That might be a job for one of my laminate guitars.

8)

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Violeiro

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 08:51:18 PM »
My "beater" is my favorite guitar - right now is a D-18 with VTS top, that is the one going to the beach and lake this summer. I want to truly enjoy and feel the beautiful sounds, the play ability, maybe even get some dings (character/memories), etc.

If I were to take anything less than my favorite my mind and heart would be missing it and wondering how much nicer would've been to have it with me.

I do see the rational on taking the less expensive guitar too, specially if it sounds and plays great.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:01:22 AM by Violeiro »
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:34:34 PM »
I don't have a beater. All my guitars (instruments for that matter) get the same care. I decide on the best guitar for the situation, need, etc. If too risky of a setting, no guitar. Call me picky (pun intended).
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 10:39:11 PM »
I don't have a beater. All my guitars (instruments for that matter) get the same care. I decide on the best guitar for the situation, need, etc. If too risky of a setting, no guitar. Call me picky (pun intended).

OK, 'Picky'. You get a big thumbs up from me.  :)

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »
I've got an Alvarez-Yairi DY-66. It's my only acoustic at the moment, although I seem to have recently become enamored with the Gibson J-200. If I could find a good deal on one of those, my wallet would definitely lose a little weight.

My dream guitar? Probably a 12-fret Taylor 510 (DN5?) with an Adi top. I spoke with Chris Wellons at Taylor several years ago about it and, as I was about to pull the trigger on it, my personal situation changed and I had to bail on the idea. I wonder if they could do a 12-fret now in the new GP body style. I haven't played a GP yet, though...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 08:21:08 AM »

OK, 'Picky'. You get a big thumbs up from me.  :)

Don
;D
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 10:12:27 PM »
Although I have 2 “beater” guitars that I use for two very unique purposes, I treat them with as much respect as I do any of my other guitars.  I have a total of $50 invested between them. 

The first one is a Jasmine- it is Takamime stencil- don’t know what these cost new but I got mine used for $20.  The gig bag cost more than the guitar!  Not bad tone but it isn’t as resonant as my FG800.  I use this for quiet office practice and I have the sound hole stuffed with old clothes to keep the sound down

My other one is an Ovation balladeer that I got for free- this is our beach guitar - great playing instrument with great plugged in sound but unplugged it is fairly anemic.  Perfect for practicing at the beach condo where the humidity is off the charts

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 12:20:34 AM »
My other one is an Ovation balladeer that I got for free- this is our beach guitar - great playing instrument with great plugged in sound but unplugged it is fairly anemic. 

Ovations have always excelled on stage, and they've been engineered accordingly.

Sitting on the livingroom couch? Not so much...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

MTLeonard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 11:33:25 AM »
I take my GS Mini when we go camping or on the boat. I don't think of it as a "beater" It's just a great rugged little companion.
If Pro is the opposite of Con
Progress must be the Opposite of Congress

GS Mini
Grafted Walnut 414 LDT
714 W/Spruce Top
Dan Carry Signature

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 12:09:38 AM »
I actually do have a designated beater guitar.  It is a 25+ year old Seagull M6, precursor to the S6, with laminated mahogany body and a solid cedar top.  It has been good enough for week long guitar camps where airline travel was necessary.  It travels in my least favorite thermoplastic case with the molded "steal me" brand logo.  If anything happened to it, the whole package could be replaced pretty easily on Craigslist for around $325.  I would be very sad if it were ever lost or destroyed, even though the dollar value does not compare to my better guitars.

Mostly for my auto travel purposes (no more flying for me EVER) I take one of my carbon fiber guitars.  No temperature or humidity worries.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »
While I do not have a beater guitar, I do have a travel guitar - my Taylor 150e.

I prefer to to leave the more expensive cocobolo guitars at home when I am traveling and jamming in hotel rooms or parking lots.

While I prefer to play my PS56ce, I do not feel it is the right guitar to stick in a car and take camping.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:27:13 PM by Marco Polo »
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX