Author Topic: Guitar Strap Storage in the Guitar Case.  (Read 2409 times)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
Guitar Strap Storage in the Guitar Case.
« on: June 14, 2019, 01:04:02 AM »
I use a guitar strap all  the time,  whether  I am sitting or standing. I have a strap for each guitar, so I have taken to a certain method of storing it in the case. Essentially, I leave the strap attached to the button at the  lower bout/ battery compartment, and disconnect it  from the  strap button at the neck . Then I drape the strap flat across the sound board, sound hole and fret board and tuck the remainder behind the headstock. This way , its relatively easy to connect the strap at one end and start playing. Does anyone see any problems with storing the strap in this manner? Its just way easier than disconnecting it altogether and folding it up into the accessory compartment.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Guitar Strap Storage in the Guitar Case.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
That mirrors my method for storing the strap in the case, with one exception:  I lay a small towel lengthwise along the soundboard, with one end of the towel at the end pin jack, and the other end over the sound hole and along the strings.  Then I lay the strap on top of the towel.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

SDTaylorman

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »
The only problem I can think of is that sometimes a strap will react with the guitar finish. There's lots of pictures on the net of guitars with strap "tattoos" due to this. Most newer guitars won't have that issue (and I see where you listed some of the ones that likely won't have the problem) but posting this as an FYI to keep an eye on it and for those that might read this and think it's fine for everyone. Otherwise I say do as you want though I do like DennisG's additional suggestion of using a towel as a physical barrier between the guitar and strap.

Orm_Embar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 09:56:24 PM »
The only problem I can think of is that sometimes a strap will react with the guitar finish. There's lots of pictures on the net of guitars with strap "tattoos" due to this. Most newer guitars won't have that issue (and I see where you listed some of the ones that likely won't have the problem) but posting this as an FYI to keep an eye on it and for those that might read this and think it's fine for everyone. Otherwise I say do as you want though I do like DennisG's additional suggestion of using a towel as a physical barrier between the guitar and strap.

I was thinking the same thing. I have seen some nice guitars with an imprint in the finish from the strap resting on the body of the guitar.
Only in silence the word,
Only in dark the light,
Only in dying life:
Bright the hawk's flight
On the empty sky.

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 01:42:48 AM »
Thanks  for the responses to  my question. I had a vague recollection of  reading somewhere that you  shouldn't store your strap that way , but didn't recall the reasoning. Potential adverse reaction to the guitar finish makes sense. I have seen no "tattooing" or "imprinting"  since I have been doing this with my 2013 and newer guitars , so maybe it is only an issue with older finishes. Nevertheless , I will take the advice of getting small towels and laying them  between the straps and sound boards. Its always nice to have one in your case anyway. Thanks!
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Soof

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 11:32:46 PM »
The only strap I do that with is Lakota Leather straps.  They are so pliable (yet extremely strong) that I can roll it up after detaching from the end pin.  Or . . . just lay it flat across the top of the guitar.
All the other straps I have to fuss with.
Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »
I always use a strap when I play as well, but I always keep mine stored in the case compartment, I guess out of habit. I use Levy's woven cotton straps with suede ends. They go on and come off my Taylors so easily that I've never considered it an inconvenience.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 03:45:14 PM »
I always take mine off and store it in the headstock area of the case. I have a wipedown rag in there and I lay that on top of the coiled up strap so it doesn't come in contact with the finish at all. Chances are contact wouldn't hurt anything, but being cautious never hurts.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 10:54:26 AM »
When I still had guitars with nitrocellulose finishes, I used a towel between the top and the strap. However all of my guitars these days are Taylor with UV cured polyurethane (or is it polyester?) finishes that are far more inert and robust.  Or carbon fiber with automotive clear coat so it is no longer a worry - for me.  Or guitars that I don't worry about much.  YMMV.

For a while I had the Stew-Mac large strap retainer button on several guitars, which meant that the strap needed to stay attached.  Those worked great to retain the strap on the tail end, and it was convenient to store the strap along the string length.  Otherwise to remove the strap you had to unscrew the keeper and drop it into the accessory compartment.
 https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Endpins_and_Bridge_Pins/Acoustic_Strap_Secure.html

Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Redpeters

• if the phone don't ring it's me!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 09:00:55 AM »
I always use a strap as well but I take it off and store it in the case compartment or, if using my Taylor hard bag, I store it in the front pouch. I just want to keep it separate and not touching the guitar when in storage. I use woven Levi's woven straps with leather ends.
Red Peters
Guitar Slinger...

Brucie

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
I think my 214 fits too snugly in its case for my leather strap to be laid on top. And the compartment under the fingerboard has too many other things in it (capo, tuner, spare battery, picks…). So the strap folds under the headstock, with the humidifier between it and the headstock itself. Seems simple enough, if fiddly.
PS I also store a spare pair of glasses, wrapped in a microfibre cloth, in the cutaway space. Be prepared…!
Brucie
214ce-K DLX
Takamine GD30ce
Occasionally Stratocaster (belongs to church)
Less occasionally Ibanez bass (ditto)