Author Topic: Any Other "Spendy" Hobbies?  (Read 4730 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Any Other "Spendy" Hobbies?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 09:35:13 PM »
GOLF CLUBS................................................................................................... ::)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 10:18:31 AM »
Production of Michigan pure maple syrup.  :P
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 08:37:38 PM »
As my on forum name suggests, I used to be an avid low brass player.  Guitars are actually cheap compared to comparably priced french horns, trombones, euphoniums, baritones, and tubas not made in Asia.  I would be hard pressed to find a made-in-the-USA or European low brass instrument that is at the same level of quality as something like a Taylor 317.

I used to also enjoy bourbon collecting - that used to be a relatively inexpensive hobby compared to scotch, etc. until Anthony Bourdain and many others introduced the world to Pappy Van Winkle and more premium bourbons/ryes - prices have skyrocketed.  Not to the level of scotch yet fortunately, but nowadays it is getting harder and harder to find decent mid-shelf pours like Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, etc for less than $25.  Many people are hoarding the premium stuff in hopes of flipping them - which is actually illegal without a liquor license

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
Mine used to be guns. My guns collection is mostly 1911s and AR15s, however it has been shrinking since I got into guitars  ;D

Hey, same here!  I was into guns for a little bit also but my guitar habit has forced me to downsize to one single AR and a couple of single action revolvers. 

Markob

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 03:23:19 AM »
I haven't let it become too spendy but an obsession none the less..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 03:27:40 AM by Markob »
" if I'm lost it's only for a little while "

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »
I have my Step-Dad's old Omega Seamaster, my Grandfather's old Fortis and my Dad's gold Hamilton. The Hamilton was a high school graduation gift he received in 1950. All three of those watches run perfectly.

I have my black Omega Seamaster Co-Ax, a Rolex Sea Dweller, a Breitling Avenger Seawolf, an Oris Williams F1 and an Omega Planet Ocean 45. I've got my eye on a Rolex Explorer II, but they can get a bit spendy. I also want to find an original Oris Carlos Coste. Aside from those, I also have Tissot, Eduoard Louzier

Here are some pics. I should probably photograph the collection...

The Planet Ocean:

The Oris:

The Breitling:

I also have a rather nice Edouard Lauzeires Park Avenue. It wasn't terribly expensive, but it's awfully classy looking:

My most prized watch, however, is the one I wore during Desert Storm. It's a Citizen, although I'm not sure of the model. I was deployed for just over ten months, and this watch was on my wrist every single day. I call it "The Watch That Won The War":

The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Markob

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
Beautiful collection Shutterbug and thank you for your service. I have my Dad's '47 Hamilton Norton cld. Seen in pic. Runs perfectly too. I have a thing for mid 40s through early 60s Hamilton and Bulova. Usually not too pricey which works on the home front..hehe
" if I'm lost it's only for a little while "

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »
Beautiful collection Shutterbug and thank you for your service. I have my Dad's '47 Hamilton Norton cld. Seen in pic. Runs perfectly too. I have a thing for mid 40s through early 60s Hamilton and Bulova. Usually not too pricey which works on the home front..hehe

I like the idea of vintage wristwatches, but the reality for me is that they're just too small. The EL pictured is the smallest modern watch I own at 38mm...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Taylor224

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »
One of my other hobbies, saltwater reef tanks.  First saltwater fish only salt tank in the 80’s.  Now today, a full blown reef tank.  Still small by some standards, 60 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.  Mostly upkeep and acquiring new stock these days. 

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 01:29:59 AM by Taylor224 »
“I’m gonna be a happy idiot, and struggle for the legal tender”

1982 Washburn D10CE/B
2019 Taylor 224CE-K DLX
2019 Taylor 214CE
Guild D1212 12 String

JTC111

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »
I have 30+ guitars, bouzoukis, banjos, dulcimers, and a lone mandolin. So I've a lot invested in instruments in general.
Related to that, I have a studio in my home into which I'm pretty heavily invested. The gear in that rack picture represents about $20k+ and doesn't include another preamp and 2 compressors that aren't in that rack. I also have over $10k invested in microphones.
Photography is another hobby of mine. I have a couple of Nikons, a D7100 and a D800e, along with a pretty good selection of lenses and peripheral equipment like filters, lighting, tripods, etc.
Lastly, I do my own matting and framing and the tools of that hobby were fairly costly.
I retired a year ago and I'm getting ready to sell my house in the spring so I can upsize. My hobbies take up a lot of room.  ;D

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 07:42:02 PM »
One of my other hobbies, saltwater reef tanks.  First saltwater fish only salt tank in the 80’s.  Now today, a full blown reef tank.  Still small by some standards, 60 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.  Mostly upkeep and acquiring new stock these days.

That picture is just way to big to view.

I'm sure it looks swell, though...

madx2

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 05:38:32 PM »

That picture is just way to big to view.

I'm sure it looks swell, though...
I must be doing something wrong.  It fit perfectly on my computer screen.

It looks very nice, Taylor 224.

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 06:19:06 PM »
Your picture looks just fine on my IPhone 5se 
:D Danny
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini koa
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini Rosewood
Custom Taylor 412ce 12 fret Ovankol with Koa bindings

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 10:56:57 AM »
It's good now.

Earlier, though, it had achieved Grand Canyon status...

Taylor224

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »
Again sorry, this was the first one I posted.  Had to download app’s, figure it out, cuss at app, check, re-check, pray and then post.  Kinda like a root canal...think I have the picture thing down now...

M
“I’m gonna be a happy idiot, and struggle for the legal tender”

1982 Washburn D10CE/B
2019 Taylor 224CE-K DLX
2019 Taylor 214CE
Guild D1212 12 String