Author Topic: 717e BE at GC off Euclid and the 405 in Orange County, CA  (Read 366 times)

JimboC

717e BE at GC off Euclid and the 405 in Orange County, CA
« on: May 31, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »
On your marks, get set.....go!

A buddy of mine works at GC corporate in Thousand Oaks. He shot me a note the OC GC has a 717e. I happened to make my way over earlier today. Incredible instrument. Here's the real kicker...it was returned used a couple days ago because it has "too much base." The owner exchanged it for a Martin HD-28VTS which was more reigned-in in the bottom end. The guitar is set at a crazy price all things considered. Personally, the x17 tone is not for me but the balance and sustain is stunning. Low-end unnaccostomed to Taylor IMO poured out of the soundhole and enveloped my in warm, cozy, and vintage vibes.

I don't like the silent-satin but LOVE the soft edges. The fit and setup were great (maybe a bit too low on the bottom-e if you really dig in). The rosewood is a bit bland in visual character. But I implore one of you to go and grab this gem. Ask for Mike. He's a Taylor owner himself and he's ready to make a deal with a forum member.

Cheers and happy playing.
Jimbo
'05 Taylor 714ce
'99 Martin (yeah....know) DM3MD

madx2

Re: 717e BE at GC off Euclid and the 405 in Orange County, CA
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »
Interesting.  I ordered a 717 (no e) BE and returned it because it didn't have more bass than my 2013 DN7.  I swapped it for a new Martin HD-28V and it has far more bass than either of the Taylor's. Different ears, I guess.

I did like the rounded edges of the 717.