Author Topic: Hello from Goodview Va 13 miles east of Roanoke Va  (Read 2569 times)

shooter1103

Hello from Goodview Va 13 miles east of Roanoke Va
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
Hello all from Goodview Va surrounding the beautiful Smith Mountain lake in Bedford county Va. I am a former professional musician and studio player by ear and have dabbled in recording and writing my own material. I have not seriously played for years and have lost a lot of strength in my hands and in my ability to hear and pick out chords and riffs. I recently went to my local Taylor dealer and began playing Taylor's after owning Martin's, Guild's, Yamaha's, and Gibson's for years. I am old school and simply believe if it ain't glued or jointed to the guitar, it won't sound good. Man was I wrong. I have played several Taylor's in the last few months and have settled on the 900 series as in the 916CE which after going to a find your fit event at my local dealer and playing some 16 series vs 14 series bodies and talking with the rep Zack from Taylor, found the GS series size body had more bottom, volume , and fullness that the GA. So I am now going to order a GS 916CE with a Florentine cutaway, and three piece back. I thought about doing a 916CE based BTO but can't justify paying almost X000.00 for that type of build when I fell the 916CE with the above mentioned changes will be an outstanding entry in to the Taylor line. Also looking at buying one of the nylon string models for my music needing that mellow sound only nylon can give. So I look forward to learning more about Taylor guitars and making a lot of great new friends who enjoy making music and playing their find instruments in the weeks, months, and years to come. Thank you

edited for price
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:59:26 AM by michaelw »

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hello from Goodview Va 13 miles east of Roanoke Va
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:39:17 PM »
Hello all from Goodview Va surrounding the beautiful Smith Mountain lake in Bedford county Va. I am a former professional musician and studio player by ear and have dabbled in recording and writing my own material. I have not seriously played for years and have lost a lot of strength in my hands and in my ability to hear and pick out chords and riffs. I recently went to my local Taylor dealer and began playing Taylor's after owning Martin's, Guild's, Yamaha's, and Gibson's for years. I am old school and simply believe if it ain't glued or jointed to the guitar, it won't sound good. Man was I wrong. I have played several Taylor's in the last few months and have settled on the 900 series as in the 916CE which after going to a find your fit event at my local dealer and playing some 16 series vs 14 series bodies and talking with the rep Zack from Taylor, found the GS series size body had more bottom, volume , and fullness that the GA. So I am now going to order a GS 916CE with a Florentine cutaway, and three piece back. I thought about doing a 916CE based BTO but can't justify paying almost 6000.00 for that type of build when I fell the 916CE with the above mentioned changes will be an outstanding entry in to the Taylor line. Also looking at buying one of the nylon string models for my music needing that mellow sound only nylon can give. So I look forward to learning more about Taylor guitars and making a lot of great new friends who enjoy making music and playing their find instruments in the weeks, months, and years to come. Thank you

Hi Shooter1103!

So glad to have you join!  Make yourself at home!  It's funny that you mentioned "I am old school and simply believe if it ain't glued or jointed to the guitar, it won't sound good. Man was I wrong." Taylor's NT neck is what sold me on getting a Taylor (beside the sound obviously)  Any guitar worth keeping...and especially one that we'll play for years and years...at some point will need a neck reset.  Quite frankly I couldn't justify paying almost the same price that I did for my guitar to get a reset in the future.  Taylor's technology with the NT neck...sold me.

Once again welcome!  Glad you're here!

Sincerely, Josh
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »
Welcome aboard shooter1103.  Enjoyed your introduction.  Definitely have some experience there and I (we) look forward to hearing from you and learning a few things.  I look at each day as an opportunity to learn something new, well at least try.

I've traveled through your neck of the woods a time or two.  I've even spent a couple of vacations at Smith Mountain Lake skiing.  There is some very beautiful country in your area.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
Well hello again, Shooter1103! ;) What type of music were you involved with back when you played? Were you in a band? I can relate to the loss of strength in your hands. For the past 4-1/2 years I've been dealing with chronic tendonitis in my forearms from tennis elbow. I had surgery on my right elbow to remove a boney growth, but after being discharged from physical therapy, they said there wasn't anything else except pain management. Everything I do with my hands affects my forearm pain. :o

Zack is a great guy! I've dealt with him before when I placed a couple of orders plus I met him at a local Road Show last year. He's terrific! Please be sure to keep us updated as to what you order, plus when it arrives please be sure to post some pics! Nice to have you here with us! :)
Cindy