Author Topic: 322 Slothead tuner swap!  (Read 2933 times)

jpmist

• Soundcloud
322 Slothead tuner swap!
« on: February 23, 2019, 05:17:28 PM »
Just wanted to post a quick review of the Schaller Grand Tune tuners I just got to replace the Taylor originals in my 322 12-fret slothead.

To recap, I went thru about 5 different options before settling on the Schallers. My priorities were not to get ripped off by Stew-Mac (apologies to their fans), zero lag when tuning, and to find something cosmetically similar.

Pic below shows before and after. I'm aware that the thing you just bought is always brilliantly fantastic cause you just spent money on it, but honestly, tuning is so much smoother with zero lag. I will never record slightly out of tune ever again. Using these Schallers are such a pleasure.

I'm aware that some of you 322 guys have no problems with the tuners Taylor put on them and I can only say it's the luck of the draw. Of the 6 I removed, 3 were perfect, but 3 had a significant lag -almost 90 degrees out of 360. If you have one or two laggy tuners you want to replace lemme know.

Installation was a breeze as the two screw holes are in the exact same position as the original tuners. The Schaller tuner plates have countersunk holes for the screws so the screws fit flush and penetrate slightly deeper than the originals. I was initially concerned with the fact that the Schaller string post is about 0.3mm thinner than the Taylor one, and there is no bushing to place in the headstock, but this seems not to be an issue in use.

Below is Schaller's website for the tuners. US sellers for their entire line seem to be rare but Guitar Center carries the gold and nickel ones and Reverb has quite a variety of them.  I was lucky to find a French vendor ("fretdreamer") on eBay with the copper finish I wanted.

https://schaller.info/en/machine-heads/274/grandtune-single?number=10510823.44.20&c=53

Pros: Half the cost of Waverlys, similar appearance to originals, zero lag, exact drop in replacement
Cons: Not free, 10 day wait from France via eBay.

Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 322 Slothead tuner swap!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »
Too bad about the gear lag; that sure does sound like a lot of lag, perhaps warranty worthy, yikes!

I've never experienced that kind of gear lash in the standard Pings that come on the paddle-head guitars; I wonder if they got a bad batch.  But as "usable" as the Pings are, folks who go to the Gotoh 510 understand immediately how smooth and precise a truly good machine head is.  Congrats!  Not to mention I really like the copper finish ...like an antique patina, very nice! 

Edward
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:56:28 AM by Edward »

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:49:59 AM »
The Gotoh 510s are what started all this. A used purchase came with them installed and once I got the hang of using this android strobe tuner I've had forever with the 510s I could no longer stand 15:1 tuners and paid more attention to all the times I'd twist the 322 tuner key and nothing would happen.  Since I wasn't the original owner I couldn't make a warranty claim, but I do notice current 322's come with different tuners now.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »
Glad to hear you're real happy with the change. I know one thing, they look fabulous!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »
Looks real nice jpmist! The copper finish looks superb on that head stock.
I have Schaller Grand Tune tuners on my paddle head Martin and am very happy with them as well.
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 03:03:13 PM »
Thanks Taylorgirl!

Shorty, good to hear the Shaller's have been working for you. Reading your long list of lovely guitars, I can't help but wonder why there's no Larrivee in your haram? I'm thinking you'd really like a LV-05 if you can find one to try!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »
Certainly an upgrade in appearance, and that gear ratio has got to have increased performance, regardless of how good or bad the stock tuners were. Nice job!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood