Author Topic: Question - Trades v Purchases  (Read 1450 times)

ahalikias

Question - Trades v Purchases
« on: February 22, 2019, 03:00:11 PM »
A trade is typically harder to execute than an outright purchase of a guitar. However, this group is ideal for proposing trades, given some of the awesome collections people have, and our common interest in Taylors. Asking those with experience in this forum's ad section, is it worth proposing trades or too complicated?
07 914ce Ltd brazilian rosewood
07 SB-BR1 bastogne walnut
09 T5 Ltd ovangkol
09 Baby
13 K26ce Ltd koa
Rivera Sedona 55 ES

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
Re: Question - Trades v Purchases
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:55:40 PM »
Trades can be good or difficult depending on the traders! As one might expect... I have learned to ask a LOT of questions and ask for clear, detailed, and in focus pics of the entire instrument. Just as I would when buying.
Some folks just do not go over their axe with the fine tooth comb and the inspection glasses. (Occasionally more like the Beer Goggles). Haha

If you have dealt with the seller before and all was well, then it is a lot easier.  I always say it is much easier to ask a ton of questions than ship a guitar twice! Also do not forget to pack beyond pro and insure for full value! And ask the other guy to do the same.

Common sense can save a ton of hassles.  I hope this helps!

Paul

nolegsfngrpickn

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:01:20 PM »
Some folks just do not go over their axe with the fine tooth comb and the inspection glasses.

Some folks are also very difficult and will never be pleased. These are used instruments we're selling, there is some normal wear and tear that comes with them. I don't like dealing with people who bring up a tiny little scratch on the back that is invisible unless you scrutinize the guitar and hold it at an angle so it catches light.

Make sure the person you're dealing with is not an instrument-hypochondriac.

Guitars44me

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 11:34:37 AM »
 :)
I don't mind COSMETIC, non structural and non playability issues. But I would prefer to know about ANY ISSUES BEFORE I receive the instrument.
If you do not ask, you may well get some surprises. If folks do not want to answer, think hard before pulling the trigger.
The good news is here we are dealing with Taylors most of the time And they are generally easy to work on! Neck sets are easy etc. (although a bit more time consuming with the Pre NT neck, pre 2000 years) and Taylor Repair Facilities and Techs are great.
In the last 26 years I have probably gone thru 200 or more guitars. When I first receive them I always take them to my personal Tech, or to Taylor Repair for a complete inspection.
I take great pride in getting them to perfect playability. And I take great pains to describe and photograph them COMPLETELY.
Since I still play solo for a living and can only afford to keep a few at a time, if they are not something I will play at gigs, I send them off to new homes. Hopefully where they get lots of attention!
Trading can be a blast, but trader beware...  haha
I do hope this helps
Happy hunting for the perfect axe for YOU
Paul
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:37:02 AM by Guitars44me »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:08:55 AM »
A trade is typically harder to execute than an outright purchase of a guitar. However, this group is ideal for proposing trades, given some of the awesome collections people have, and our common interest in Taylors. Asking those with experience in this forum's ad section, is it worth proposing trades or too complicated?

I will echo what Paul said: lots of conversation and use your common sense.  Couple this with lots of pictures, and use your gut when you converse (on the phone, not just email/text!) with the other party such that both of you feel good not only about the pieces you're trading, but clear terms of price differences, shipping, and whatever details such that you cover all possible variables.  If it "feels" like you're both not meshing on anything, stop, clarify, and bail if even on one point of the deal.  There simply is too much at stake if every detail is not accounted for.  Heck, this is all true when buying a guitar from a guy on a forum; so much more important when trading.  I've done numerous trades of gear, and exactly one trade on a pricey guitar.  It can be done, but use your head and your gut :D

Edward

Guitars44me

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 01:11:19 AM »
What Edward said! 

I should have mentioned, try to talk on the phone. It conveys much more info than just email or PM.
And then follow up with an email stating everything you covered about the guitars, and shipping, payment of any difference in value, etc.

I always prefer to yak with a human than just type! Whether on a forum, EBay Reverb or even a brick and mortar store. An in hand description and talk is the best way to know what gives with an instrument you can't hold yourself.

Again, best on your Quest!

Paul