Author Topic: 2 years now with my 324...  (Read 1122 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
2 years now with my 324...
« on: November 18, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
Well this December it'll be 2 years since I got my 324 (Hog and Tasmanian Blackwood.)   I'll admit, I've been playing my J45 a smidgen more lately as I've really come to enjoy it.  That being said, I still absolutely love this guitar.  Simple appointments, great satin finish and most importantly a wonderful sound and tone that still  amazes me.

Today I used it at my church and that guitar can boom.  When I bought it new, I opted to not have any pickup added.  I also opted for a 1-11/16th via their "modify a model."

I'm still on the fence about possibly adding a KK Pure Mini...we'll see.

Well after playing it for close to 2 years...the guitar's sound to my ears seems to have gotten a smidgen darker.  This guitar will be in the stable for a long time and I can't wait to see what the next 2 years bring.

On a side note, do any of you have the KK Pure Mini installed on any of your Taylors?

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 2 years now with my 324...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:18:01 AM »
Hey there Josh,

So cool you dig your 324 ...great guits, these, and the tas wood is a significant improvement, imho.  Glad it's serving you well and that you're enjoying it!!

As for the K&K, lots of folks love these, and many a praise have I read about it.  I installed one and simply could not stand it.  And I tried to make it work ...different EQ, different preamps.  Just not to my liking as there was a prevailing boominess that was insufferable, and a mids content that simply did not sound natural to me.  Again, this with diff EQ, diff preamps, and (dare I say) knowing how to work EQ; and all this through a decent console into a PA.  I had heard worse, to be sure, but it was not a system for me despite my genuine attempts.  Some folks undoubtedly will call me out on this, and that's fine as we all hear things differently.  But I tried in all earnest since I bought it and wanted to make it work.

That said, what did work for me was the LR Baggs: go either with the Lyric or the Anthem SL (which is the Lyric's mic along with a UST).  The former is good and delivers natural tone, but may be limited if stage volume increases as feedback will come with higher volume; and is limited in your ability to shape its bass content.  The Anthem SL fares far better if higher-volume situations present themselves (irrelevant if you use and IEM or have low stage vol), but also fares better with bolder bass, and a more "percussive" and dynamic feel.  The UST offers that solid bottom end and greater gain-before-feedback.  My personal take on this is that the Lyric is a genuinely good system, especially if the guitar is in a band setting where the guitar's bass content is far less important and often much dialed out anyway; but the SL offers more tonal latitude and overall versatility, and is hands down better if one performs solo as you can boost and shape the bottom end more readily ...important if the guitar is the solo instrument. 

Either way, both of these sound genuinely good as acoustic guitar pickups.  But any way you decide, consider also a quality DI to offer you the best signal translation to the console, as well as the ability to shape tone.  These are quality investments in gear you make once, and then leave you lasting joy with solid tone you can enjoy for years to come.  Feel free to holler out if you have any Qs.  :)

Edward

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:28:48 AM by Edward »

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
I have a pure mini in my W10ce.  The only thing I really dig about it is no battery to worry about.  I'm probably going to have it taken out and replaced with a LR Baggs Anthem.
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:28:04 AM »
Love those 324s - they're great guitars at any price. I have been really happy with the LR Baggs Lyric system, which is in  four of my Taylors. The others have the ES 1.3 which is also a great pickup - not really fond of the ES2.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Joseph

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »
Glad to hear that you still like the 324. I just ordered a 358e Limited Edition from Guitar Center.. and can't wait to hear how it sounds and plays live... with a Lutz Spruce top and Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides. It will be my first Taylor 12 string. I was wanting a loud 12 string ... even when it is fingerpicked. With your review i am in anticipation!
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

xtremearmor

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 01:54:07 AM »
Love those 324s - they're great guitars at any price. I have been really happy with the LR Baggs Lyric system, which is in  four of my Taylors. The others have the ES 1.3 which is also a great pickup - not really fond of the ES2.

Mine's a 324ce, I've had for 7 months now.  I'd also agree it's a great guitar, but especially for the price.  It sounds dark and punchy to my ears, and I think the GA body style is more versatile than an OM or OOO.  Of course it also plays like a Taylor.  The shaded mahogany top with white binding gives it a unique look, albeit not a flashy one. 

I'm admittedly no authority on pre-amps or pickups, but I'm curious to know what you don't like about the ES2.  I think sounds fine on my amp and find having controls on the guitar to be useful.  Another question would be which is a more important variable, the pickup or the amp given what's available?       
2016 Custom Shop GA Engelmann/Wild Rosewood

telemtneer

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 06:54:12 PM »
Amazing guitars for the money.  I have a 322ce (14 fret) and OI absolutely love the darker warmer tone over the spruce tops. Try  the Santa Cruz parabolic strings on these guitars! I think you will love it!
Larry D
812e dlx (2017)
814ce dlx
K-22 12 fret #004
KCE 24
322ce SEB
Martin OMJM
Blueridge BR-163