Author Topic: Anybody anxious to see/hear the new slope D?  (Read 1907 times)

520Fan

Anybody anxious to see/hear the new slope D?
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:04:33 PM »
Seems to be a little mumbling about the new slope. Is there a lot of interest here?

Dan

Coco Kid

Re: Anybody anxious to see/hear the new slope D?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »
Not for me. While I am a fan of Taylors in general, I was not interested in slope-shouldered dreadnoughts prior to Taylor announcing one, whether by Bourgeois or by Gibson, and the fact that a new slope-shouldered guitar is being released under the Taylor name won't influence my personal buying preferences.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 11:06:55 PM »
I am not a fan of dreds, just not the right shape for me.  I am interested in what the new D will sound like.  Andy may just put something together that could really nail it.  He has a habit of that.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Rev Roy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 11:30:08 PM »
Not in the market for a dread. My Martin D-41 has that base covered for me handily. And my new V-braced Taylor 714ce is keeping me pretty happy, too. But I’ll be interested in playing Taylor’s new dread when I get the chance...
Collings D1A Traditional
Bourgeois Generation D

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 06:42:12 AM »
For me, no, I'm no longer interested in dreads, now that I've found other body styles that better fit my playing style.

However, I am interested in Taylor as a company and will be interested to see how it's received.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 07:53:23 AM »
Yeah, dreadnoughts don't do it for me, slope shouldered or otherwise. Taylor's GA changed my preference for good some 22 years ago. But I'm objectively interested in what Taylor's new answer to the traditional shape is.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:28:56 AM »
Dreads are awesome. I love my Martins. I really liked the Taylor 510. I'm sure the new ones will be great, too.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 10:52:56 AM »
I love dreads!  My 1995 810 is pure magic!  I recently acquired a mint 2014 Bourgeois Slope D Custom adi/hog to fill my slope shoulder needs!  I'm loving it so far!
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

ClassicRock

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
I didn’t think I had any interest in slopes either....

Yesterday, I happen to be in my dealers showroom and he recently added the Gibson Acoustic line. Never had any interest in them either. I need GAS for another brand like I need a hole in my head.

But in the interest of being a well-rounded Internet forum contributor, I picked up the modestly priced J45 Studio (Sitka/Walnut). I was blown away with its sound, its light weight and its playability. The short scale and great neck makes more difference than I could ever imagine for bending notes. This struck me as the perfect couch guitar, even more so than my GA.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:39:11 PM by ClassicRock »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 12:40:41 PM »
I was never a fan of maple acoustics ...strangely I now own two that are keepers for life.
I was never a fan of a dred body, esp when the D18/28s were all the rage in the 70s/80s … I now own a Taylor dred that is my go-to live guitar.
My music instrument, gear, playing journey was fraught with "never" only to find otherwise.

So no, I am not looking forward to a slope D from Taylor; it simply doesn't appeal to me, not in the least.  Still gotta try one though.. ;)

Edward

520Fan

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 10:45:23 PM »
Kinda surprising not as much interest in the new slope from Taylor as I expected. I know I am very curious and anxious to see it. I just hope its not an L shape like Larrivees.

madx2

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 08:54:00 AM »

Yes.

Gerald D

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 10:26:57 AM »
Excited? If I had money I would already be waiting to buy.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 12:09:47 PM »
Kinda surprising not as much interest in the new slope from Taylor as I expected. ...

I'm not surprised at all. 

The dred shape has long since been the veritable "trademark" of Martin and the innumerable Martin-esque guitars, which ranges from the ubiquitous Yamaha and Takamine on the low end, up the chain to the high-end small builders who try to out-Martin Martin.  That sound is indelibly etched in many a player's mind, which explains why so many (eg. other forums, particularly that one ;) ) derides Taylors so often. 

Taylor has never "been known" for their dreds that I recall.  Their playability, their neck and innovations, their build quality and consistency, their company ethic, their tone, their GA/GS ...these have been their hallmark.  That dred shape almost seems like it was something Taylor "had" to do for these decades, but it never was their bread and butter, nor did they ever really seem to be bothered by it, almost as if they relegated that segment to the other guys.

The so-called "slope dred" body is an even narrower niche of the dred.  That there seems to be little interest here is not surprising as perhaps we are not "that" player.  Yet look around at other forums, and that "other" type of player (call em the "traditional" set, the bluegrass crowd, or the like) is showing marked interest.

Like so many changes Powers has brought to Taylor, it now seems he/Taylor are no longer relegating that to the other guys.  Head on, he/they are challenging the status quo.  Um, like they did in 1974.  So while I have no personal interest in this new guitar, I have a sideline interest in its effect on the market.  Bob and Kurt's little upstart has created a sea change in a scant few decades.  I see this baton being passed to Andy, and the original ethic seems to be alive and well.

Edward
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:15:24 PM by Edward »

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 09:07:24 AM »
Kinda surprising not as much interest in the new slope from Taylor as I expected. ...

I'm not surprised at all. 

The dred shape has long since been the veritable "trademark" of Martin and the innumerable Martin-esque guitars, which ranges from the ubiquitous Yamaha and Takamine on the low end, up the chain to the high-end small builders who try to out-Martin Martin.  That sound is indelibly etched in many a player's mind, which explains why so many (eg. other forums, particularly that one ;) ) derides Taylors so often. 

Taylor has never "been known" for their dreds that I recall.  Their playability, their neck and innovations, their build quality and consistency, their company ethic, their tone, their GA/GS ...these have been their hallmark.  That dred shape almost seems like it was something Taylor "had" to do for these decades, but it never was their bread and butter, nor did they ever really seem to be bothered by it, almost as if they relegated that segment to the other guys.

The so-called "slope dred" body is an even narrower niche of the dred.  That there seems to be little interest here is not surprising as perhaps we are not "that" player.  Yet look around at other forums, and that "other" type of player (call em the "traditional" set, the bluegrass crowd, or the like) is showing marked interest.

Like so many changes Powers has brought to Taylor, it now seems he/Taylor are no longer relegating that to the other guys.  Head on, he/they are challenging the status quo.  Um, like they did in 1974.  So while I have no personal interest in this new guitar, I have a sideline interest in its effect on the market.  Bob and Kurt's little upstart has created a sea change in a scant few decades.  I see this baton being passed to Andy, and the original ethic seems to be alive and well.

Edward

My 1995 810 is the only Taylor that I’ll never get rid of. I’ve had 2 GA models, 2GS models and 4 dreads. They might not have the low-end that Martin has, but they’ll hang with them in every other way. I love showing up at a bluegrass festival with my 810 and seeing the looks of disdain from the Martin guys and then I really love the looks on their faces when then play my 810 and find out how good it feels to play and the sound it puts out. I’ve had many a Martin owner tell me they love playing it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:46:19 AM by tnfiddler »
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle