Author Topic: Cutaway vs None Cutaway?  (Read 17188 times)

resonator48

Cutaway vs None Cutaway?
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »
In terms of sound only, should I expect to hear a difference between a cutaway vs none cutaway in the same wood's and body size? Say a 514ce vs a GA5?

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Cutaway vs None Cutaway?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »
You're unlikely to hear any more of a difference between a 514 and a GA5 than you would between two 514s or two GA5s
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

DMBfan41

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »
In terms of sound only, should I expect to hear a difference between a cutaway vs none cutaway in the same wood's and body size? Say a 514ce vs a GA5?

A similar question was shared in the Summer '11 edition of Wood & Steel in which Bob Taylor provides a logical answer.

Question:

As I search for my next axe (I’m currently enjoying the rich, warm tones of a 514ce), I keep coming back to my two unknowns: How do a cutaway and the Expression System affect the tone and sustain of a guitar? I’m not currently playing live, but I do go high up on the neck.  Am I sacrificing acoustic tone due to the extra parts of the Expression System? Am I getting an altered sound with the cutaway verses a non-cutaway?

Austin
Chicago, IL

Bob Taylor's answer:

Austin, I’ll give you the simple answer and then the complex, “Bob Sez” answer. First the simple answer. No, it doesn’t affect the tone, and you don’t
sacrifice anything by having a cutaway and an ES. The more complex answer contains philosophy and some ambiguity, and goes something like this:
Even if there was some difference in the sound between the two, and some people might want to argue that, who’s to say the cutaway is automatically
worse? To some people it might be better, you know? So, each guitar is an individual and has to be taken on its own merits. It’s hard to find a Taylor
that isn’t a cutaway, so we know how our cutaways sound. If I played on the high frets, I’d want a cutaway and I’d be totally confident that the guitar will
sound great. I wouldn’t worry about how it might be different than a noncutaway version. The difference is so small it becomes academic and not
practical to debate or worry about. So, get your cutaway. And the ES is nonintrusive.  It won’t affect the sound in any noticeable way. I hope that helps
you be confident in your choice.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »
Good find, Chad.  I think Bob hit the nail on the head.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »

This is one of those things asked over the years, and the answer seems to be a resonding no ...at least all that I've read.  Think of it this way: there are simply too many variables in the making of a guitar that differentiate two guitars from one another, even when "all else being equal."  The cutaway alone just doesn't play enough of an audible role that we can hear.

The other question your raise, hearing the diff between Taylor's Acoustic elec and their Acoustic-only line, likewise is another thing many folks wonder about.  Here is where all those variables in build and materials I alluded to, in sum, really can make a difference in the final tone of siad guitar.  So the short answer to this question is every guitar sounds slightly different from each other ...some differences are simply more or less audible than others.  Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: ok, Chad beat me to it ...but you get the point :)
Edward

DMBfan41

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »

This is one of those things asked over the years, and the answer seems to be a resonding no ...at least all that I've read.  Think of it this way: there are simply too many variables in the making of a guitar that differentiate two guitars from one another, even when "all else being equal."  The cutaway alone just doesn't play enough of an audible role that we can hear.

The other question your raise, hearing the diff between Taylor's Acoustic elec and their Acoustic-only line, likewise is another thing many folks wonder about.  Here is where all those variables in build and materials I alluded to, in sum, really can make a difference in the final tone of siad guitar.  So the short answer to this question is every guitar sounds slightly different from each other ...some differences are simply more or less audible than others.  Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: ok, Chad beat me to it ...but you get the point :)
Edward

And your reply echos exactly what Bob is trying to say.  8)

I actually had a guy try to tell me that since cutaways are missing roughly 10% of the guitar, you get 10% less sound.  I'm pretty sure he huffed paint in his off time.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
wow, four new replies popped up while i working on this one - time to edit (& learn to type faster) ;)

i also agree with what has been posted/quoted here ...

the variance between 2 guitars, +/- cutaway, may or may not be discernable from 2 guitars that do or do not have a cutaway -
that is, you may find a GA5 that sounds 'better' than another GA5 & a 514ce that sounds 'better' than another 514ce,
but out of those 4, there might be a GA5 that sounds 'better' than one of 514ces & a 514ce that sounds 'better' than one
of the GA5s - the difference in tone, if any, would probably not be related to fact that the guitar has a cutaway or not

a florentine cutaway might have the potential to make more of a difference, as the upper bout is actually 'cut'
rather than bent & the side that is inside the cutaway is made from another piece of wood (in effect a 2 piece side),
along with the rest of the structure (kerfing & the 'binding' at the point of the cutaway that joins the 2 side pieces

what i have heard/read is that in that the back & sides are thicknessed based on the woods being used

i guess the answer would be, if you need a cutaway, find the 514ce that sounds best to you or if you don't search for a GA5 -
if you do not have a preference either way, compare the best sounding 514ce you can find to the best sounding GA5 ...

then, make your choice :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:24:44 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Redwood Tree

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
 The age old question....
  On the x14 size you will NOT hear any differance.
 I've been through thins and found this.
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »
Not sure about tone, but being an old fart, I'm real partial to non-cutaway guitars...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 08:12:59 AM »
Not sure about tone, but being an old fart, I'm real partial to non-cutaway guitars...

Agreed- I've played a lot of great-sounding cutaway Taylors, but I can't get past that look (on any acoustic) - I need symmetry!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

play2praiseHim

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 08:24:04 AM »
Thank God the GS MINI doesnt have a cutaway!  I wish Taylor would put more non cutaway models in stores as well as offer more LTD's without cutaways.
Lady Toni
2013 Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage Ltd.
2012 GS Mini LTD Tasmanian Blackwood

kschaible

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:27:33 AM »
I agree, love the non-cutaway.
Ken

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
Hey Bob, are you listening???

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 01:10:25 AM »
i think that the models that are the most popular, sales-wise, are what most dealers (big box & independents)
seem to stock the most of & more often than not, the higher $ BTO i've seen on internet sites are CE models -
during the past few years, there have been some non-cutaway LTDs
07 GS4eLTD
08 GSeLTD-C/K
09 35th parlor & 12 fret
10 810eLTD, GS mahogany
11 (spring) mahogany DN, GC, GA, GS
11  NS24eLTD (cedar top)
12 (spring) GS Mini LTD 1/2/3 rosewood/maple/taz blackwood

but, i would to venture to guess that Taylor will build more of what their dealers & distributors sell the most of &
that is likely also taken into consideration with the LTDs as well, but if there is a large demand for non-cutaways
(nylons are available no C) i'm pretty certain that Taylor would be happy to oblige - 'play all you want, they'll make more' ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
Hey Bob, are you listening???

I think (I thought) he was (and is) listening.  After all, the so-called "Acoustic line" from GC to GS is a nod toward that direction, offering the "e" suffix only as an option for those wanting the ES.  IMHO, the Acoustic line is awesome for their more understated aesthetics, lower prices, and the option to carry the ES (which I prefer). 

The only "problem" (and I wish it weren't so) is dealers --particularly the big-box guys-- clearly favor stocking the "CE" guitars over the Acoustic line ...at least in my limited experience everytime I step foot into a guit store.  Which raises the question in my mind: is the A/E line more poplular because of consumer demand, or is it more popular because retailers have nudged the demand in that direction?  Who knows ...but I do hope Taylor continues to recognize the desire for the more traditional non-cutaway body in their/our future.

Edward
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:54:25 PM by Edward »