Author Topic: New From Northern Az, Searching For T5  (Read 1199 times)

Flugelme

New From Northern Az, Searching For T5
« on: October 09, 2018, 01:07:05 AM »
What a great forum, and I don’t even own a Taylor yet!  I’ve played guitar for 30 years in various bands and had all kinds of guitars, amps, effects, and PA’s. Now we travel a lot so I’m reduced to my old Strat, Martin HD28, TC Helicon Play Electric, and a PA.  I play all styles, and mostly solo.  A few weeks ago a saw a guy playing a T5 solo through a small Orange amp micd into a small PA.  He didn’t use a lot of effects or pickup switching but had a great R&B tone!  You can see where this is going... in my quest to even further simplify I thought “I should research this!”  So here I am lurking and learning a lot from dcopper, gutch, coldshot, and your whole forum about T5’s!  I’m heading to Phoenix this weekend to play as many as I can to decide on top woods and T5 or T5z.  I love the wisdom here, and am already going into it with “leave your attitude of getting a Strat and HD28 tone out of one guitar and appreciate what the T5 can do”.  I’m looking forward to the journey.  Right now I’m switching between the 2 every set going right into the PE then into the PA.  I’ve got a few presets for electric that I’ve tweaked and are happy with, and a few for my Martin with a K&K that I’ve tweaked using the sweepable mids/bodyrez that I’m happy with.  I plan on running just the T5 through the same and creating a few new acoustic and electric presets for it.  What I haven’t seen here are other T5 players using a similar approach going straight into a PA instead of 2 amps.  Everything’s a trade off, but I’m pretty happy running the PE into the PA and expect that with enough experimenting with the T5 I can accomplish the same.  I’m also looking to go to a LD Maui 28 array PA soon.  Any T5 players going straight in a PA or using the Maui?  Thank you again for such a wealth of wisdom here!
Blessings!  Mike

“David skillfully played the harp, Kings Saul’s soul was refreshed, and the evil spirit left him”

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: New From Northern Az, Searching For T5
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:32:04 AM »
Welcome, you will find the information you need here, but I'm no T5 guru.  ::)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »
 Hi Flugelme. Welcome to the UTGF. i'm still in the honeymoon phase with my T5z. Mostly playing through my Marshall rig for the electric side and my Roland AC-90 on the acoustic side. I haven't tried it through my TC Helicon because a friend borrowed it a few years ago. Lol. Good luck on your Phoenix trip. Hope you find something special.  :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

DO18

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
New here myself!  Sounds like you got a plan.  See you in the threads.