Author Topic: Wood and Steel  (Read 12120 times)

Ed422

Re: Wood and Steel
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 01:05:28 AM »
Lol...  I should have suspected.  You "fanboys" (and girls) have missed the point of my initial post.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:08:37 AM by bo1142 »

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 01:23:19 AM »
Lol...  I should have suspected.  You "fanboys" (and girls) have missed the point of my initial post.

Care to enlighten us what the point of your initial post was, then?

Heaven forbid Taylor use a publication they're paying for out of pocket as a marketing tool. Regardless of content or catalogs throughout its pages, that's really the point of the magazine when it's all said and done. Always has been, always will be. Taylor is in the business of selling guitars, and the W&S publication is one of many ways they try to reach new and existing customers.

Like I asked in my earlier post -- are you expecting content from other manufacturers in its pages? Would you rather be advertised to by several dozen guitar brands rather than just one? Because if you're looking for a guitar magazine there are some good ones out there. Fretboard Journal seems to be a popular one. I also looked through one called Guitar Aficionado (I think) that seemed pretty interesting.

Check'em out if you don't mind the paper thing. (We've covered that for you too.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:10:36 AM by bo1142 »
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »
In this day and age of electronic everything I am still reluctant to get on the bandwagon - I really dislike having to read content on computers but that is the future.....I'll just hold out for as long as I can.

I LOVE getting W&S in the mailbox, although it was slow in getting here this month - and since the .pdf was not posted on the Taylor website in this case electronic media did not trump print.

I try to stay off of as many catalog lists as I can in order to save paper, unfortunately that is difficult but I just call them and ask them to take me off the list, done.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »

Fanboy?

Hardly.

I own 11 guitars. Only two of them are Taylors.

Maybe you would be kind enough to explain what the "point" of your initial post was. What would you expect them to put in Wood & Steel?

From what I (and apparently everyone else) could tell, you have a problem with a company producing a magazine which showcases its products. Wood & Steel is intended to be mailed to registered owners of Taylors. If you never register a Taylor, or specifically request to be put on the W&S mailing list, you won't receive it.

Wood & Steel isn't going to just magically appear in your mailbox. If you received a copy in the mail, you did something to get it there, so whining about receiving one makes you look silly.
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »

LOL...just as I expected.  You missed the entire point of my first retort :D

Edward

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
^^^  Maybe it's because you are all fanboys (and fangirls)  ;)

Edward

AugustWest

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 04:42:36 PM »
I really enjoy the W&S publications & I'm jones'ng for the new winter issue! I've purposely not looked at the on-line edition, trying to be patient to get the hard copy. I've been checking the mail box each day & coming back empty-handed.  Maybe it will show up today??
-AW-

2011 Taylor GA4
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
Looks like the OP didn't stay too long.

I never understood those that seem like they want to constantly bash Taylor...or what they do.  I said it before and I'll say it again, I love Taylor's W&S publication and I wouldn't change anything about it.  It WAS HUGE in helping me decide which Taylor I'd get...specifically which wood combination/body style to get.

No buyer's remorse here!   8)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Roseadi

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »
Sure its a marketing piece...and cataloguesq, and a bit fanboy, but there's always something inside that I like. If for nothing else, it's great for keeping me up on the Taylor line that, without it, I probably wouldn't. Also, I love the pics.

It's free for the asking so why not? And dang, it's very high quality! Heck I get all sorts of catalogues I didn't ask for. This is the only one I appreciate and look forward to getting!

It's brilliant marketing for Taylor and a win-win for me!
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »
What's not to like about the catalog?  It's filled with everything we love about our music hobby:  sexy photos, relevant information, and the promise of fantastic guitars in our future.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 05:55:24 PM »
What's not to like about the catalog?  It's filled with everything we love about our music hobby:  sexy photos, relevant information, and the promise of fantastic guitars in our future.

Dennis you hit a grand-slam sir.  Well said!!! 
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

AugustWest

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
Wooo-Hooo! The Mrs' just sent me a text with a photo of the W&S cover that arrived today!  Looking forward to getting home & checking it out.
-AW-

2011 Taylor GA4
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 04:23:31 AM »
Are you guys talking about receiving volume 70 / Winter 2012 Edtion?

I have only just received volume 69 in the post today!!!
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

Bill Evans

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 04:41:23 AM »
Are you guys talking about receiving volume 70 / Winter 2012 Edtion?

I have only just received volume 69 in the post today!!!
Eh? You in the UK too? Why are Taylor so slowwwww in sending out W&S? I'm still waiting for mine!!!
3 G&L electrics and 2 Taylor acoustics