Author Topic: Greetings from the mountains of Northern California  (Read 1352 times)

RichM752

Greetings from the mountains of Northern California
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:59 AM »
Hello all. Nice to be here.
I live in Mount Shasta CA and when I work, I'm on a ship making voyages to and from China.
Lot's of time to play guitar at work and home. I don't know why it took me until the age of 57 to begin to play guitar.
I've dived in head first and love it the most. I play 4 hrs a day and have taken a class for beginner's at the localcJr jr. college, bought a load instructional DVDsd's and played some with others. I have a few guitars of which two are Taylor's. A JMSM and a T3B. I've just received a Martin OM-42 that I love the most at the present time and when I head south again this March I will visit the Taylor showroom and see what Taylor guitar comparableble to the OM.

2011 Martin OM-42
1919 Martin 0-28
2010 Taylor JMSM
2010 Taylor T3B
2009 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2010 Fender Telecaster
1977 Takamine FS-400

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Greetings from the mountains of Northern California
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »
Hi Rich. Welcome to the UTGF. :) Looks like you have some impressive guitars in your collection. :D Even at the age of 57 you will get the incredible pleasure of learning and playing so enjoy the journey! Sometimes it's hard for people to learn an instrument when they are younger adults because of work and family responsibilities, but it sounds like you have the time now to devote to it. Great to have you here! ;D
Cindy

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
Glad to have you here Rich!  May I ask what line of work you're in?  Sounds like you spend a lot of time at sea...
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

RichM752

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 06:36:24 PM »
Been a merchant marine for 35 yrs. this month. Going back to sea March 5th for the final voyage. It's been interesting to say the least. Truth of the matter is that I go to work for rest. The chores at home never end. At sea I walk around, look out the window, and play my guitar. What a racket.
2011 Martin OM-42
1919 Martin 0-28
2010 Taylor JMSM
2010 Taylor T3B
2009 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2010 Fender Telecaster
1977 Takamine FS-400

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
Been a merchant marine for 35 yrs. this month. Going back to sea March 5th for the final voyage. It's been interesting to say the least. Truth of the matter is that I go to work for rest. The chores at home never end. At sea I walk around, look out the window, and play my guitar. What a racket.

Awesome!  I guess you never have to worry about your guitar being too dry out there!    ;)

Have you ever seen any weird sea creatures out there?  This topic has always fascinated me...back in the days or wind powered ships there were stories all the time...but I have a theory that because ships are powered by engines etc...that the sound alone scares away a lot of those weird things that sailors back then, saw all the time...
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard