Author Topic: String Buzz on new 814ce dlx  (Read 2115 times)

Coolfingers-NC

String Buzz on new 814ce dlx
« on: August 20, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »
Hello, all,
I got a brand new 814ce dlx at GC about a month and a half ago.  I played it in the music room, but it was kinda noisy, so, when I got it home, I noticed buzzing on 3rd, 4th and 5th strings - primarily the 4th.  I messed with it a little - to no avail and took it back to GC and let their tech look it over.  She said it wasn't going to be an easy fix and got them to order me another one.  Two weeks later, it came in and I took it out of the box at the store and tried it out in the music room again - but this time I was alone.  I finger picked, flat picked, plugged in and plugged in with earphones.  I heard a little fuzz, but not the buzz I had heard on the previous guitar.  I decided to take it home, change strings, hydrate it and mess with the truss rod, and let it settle for a couple weeks.  I did all this, replacing the 12/53 Elixers with 12/54 DRs, keeping the room at 55-60% for a couple weeks and gave a little relief to the neck.  Gradually, over the following weeks, the fuzz became a buzz just as bad as the first guitar.  I really don't want to raise the action any more as it's already at my outer limit, but I really don't think it's that anyway.  3, 4 and 5 buzz all the way up the fretboard with 4 being the worst.  it's gotten to where when I try to play anything now (especially plugged in) all I hear is buzz.  I know I'm tuned in to it and focused on it, but, still it doesn't seem that the buzz should be that pronounced.  I really want to love this guitar, but so far, I find myself laying it down and picking up something else with a clear sound.  Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: String Buzz on new 814ce dlx
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 10:15:37 PM »
Take it to a Taylor authorized luthier.  Would you take a new tv to the Wal-Mart you bought it from to fix it?  They don't have qualified technicians and neither do GC.    Well, I would not let a so-called tech( they are not luthiers) at GC mess with my guitar.  I am not trying to put down GC but they do not employ Taylor certified technicians.  I have played 814ce dlxs and they are really excellent guitars, you made a good purchase I am sure, but now you need to find a Talory luthier.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Coolfingers-NC

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
Yeah, good point, MGap.  Maybe that's why she suggested removing its appendix.  Guess I just hated the idea of paying for something that I felt I had already paid for - a lot.  I'll give them a call today.  I did that once before with my nylon string, but it wasn't new.  Thanks for your very reasonable input.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »
I will admit I do not know the extent of the Taylor warranty in this problem but There might be a case for them to cover it under warranty. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Coolfingers-NC

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 08:00:33 AM »
I still have the paperwork in the case.  I'll check it out.  Thanks.

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 02:38:56 AM »
I had issues with one a while back and the Taylor customer service was excellent.
Did you call the factory and ask them about it? Mine they paid for shipping both ways and fixed the problem.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »
I had one that really vibrated on a D, turned out to be a bad board for the ES2 system, quick fix, been my favorite ever since, but I know how hard it is to ignore a buzz like that, and a new Taylor shouldn’t have one.
Take it to an authorized Taylor tech, and don’t remove the appendix without a second opinion:)
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Marty C

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 09:18:22 PM »
Just curious if the OP got this resolved.  I

Sybo

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 07:14:12 AM »
I am chasing a low E buzz on one of mine as we speak, but it’s an electric.

416ce

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 05:27:21 PM »
With acoustic buzz, in my experience first and foremost. The first get go from the floor when new before you buy it should be set up well coming in from Taylor, unless certain factors changed in the store as in temp/humidity/tuning etc. Other than that when perfect when bought and brought home playing it for a while and so forth.
Some swap the strings asap and of course it goes through the swing of settling in and stretching of the strings and so forth with your own personal set up and what not.

Suddenly something develops there after with your perfect set up and or begins with a buzz here and there. So we check it all from the nut to saddles how they are notched /cut....height/action. Whats left?

Maybe the electronic wires inside if any vibrating every time you strum a chord or do a little lick on the picked string? Still a buzz?

I had all those and after careful listening, It wasn't either any of them.
Dang what is it?................It was the ball end of the strings in the slot hole not seated properly to the bridge pins. >:( i can hear it really close to the bridge area the most obvious.
Pulled the would be culprit and seated it upon inserting correctly and voila, string buzz gone.....It can happen to any strings.
Sometimes the most simplest things gets the best of us.

The rule is take the extra time when swapping strings etc., as it could save you a lot of grief or sleep for the matter let alone a trip to your guitar tech only to find out it was a simple fix you could have done all by yourself.

Process of elimination doesn't end until you've used your very last resort and usually its there somewhere if you just take your time and get to know your guitar a bit better. Same with electric guitars in a sense. So much fun learning and discovering.

Hope it was just something simple for the OP.

Take care out there!

Rodney

PS. But then again it could all be the actual guitar itself with an issue after all from the factory and or after for whatever reason before you touched or have done anything to it per say.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:26:16 PM by 416ce »