Author Topic: Time for a bridge replacement  (Read 1514 times)

StrummingMadMan

Time for a bridge replacement
« on: June 29, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
Well, it looks like after 2.5 years the bridge on my Gibson J-15 needs to be replaced. I first noticed the corner had a rise coming up, but as I was getting ready to fix that today, I noticed a hair-line vertical crack. So, instead of waiting for that to get worse, which it will. I’m just going to replace the whole thing now. It currently has a walnut bridge which I just don’t think it strong enough. I’ve got a block of ebony and a block of rosewood. Either one will look and work great, so any suggestions from the board? Tonally, it’s not going to make a big enough difference, so I’m curious what others think because I’m fairly impartial right now.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)
Martin D-18 (1959) -my grandpa, then dad's guitar
Rockbridge SJ - German Spruce/Cocobolo (2011)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Time for a bridge replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »
Either should work.  The weight of the bridge is the most important factor in tone changes, by my understanding.  Rosewood is probably closer to the density of walnut than ebony.  Are you looking to make tonal changes, or keep the guitar's sound as-is?

Gibson should actually warranty this repair after only 2½ years if you are the original owner (and if you trust them to do the work, are willing to risk shipping to Bozeman, etc).  Bridges don't normally peel up unless the guitar has been abused in terms of humidity fluctuations.  Usually bridges that lift were just not glued well in the first place, which is a manufacturing defect. 

It is pretty normal to have some lift at the corners.  In a production environment, it is much easier to hold the glue back by 1/8" or so than to wipe up squeeze-out.  So don't panic about being able to slide a piece of paper under the edges of the bridge, within reason.  But the crack is concerning....  Is it the wood or just the lacquer?
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
Either should work.  The weight of the bridge is the most important factor in tone changes, by my understanding.  Rosewood is probably closer to the density of walnut than ebony.  Are you looking to make tonal changes, or keep the guitar's sound as-is?

Gibson should actually warranty this repair after only 2½ years if you are the original owner (and if you trust them to do the work, are willing to risk shipping to Bozeman, etc).  Bridges don't normally peel up unless the guitar has been abused in terms of humidity fluctuations.  Usually bridges that lift were just not glued well in the first place, which is a manufacturing defect. 

It is pretty normal to have some lift at the corners.  In a production environment, it is much easier to hold the glue back by 1/8" or so than to wipe up squeeze-out.  So don't panic about being able to slide a piece of paper under the edges of the bridge, within reason.  But the crack is concerning....  Is it the wood or just the lacquer?

I would like to keep the guitar sounding as close as possible to how it does now. I thought about using walnut again, but I simply don’t trust it as a bridge. And I agree with you, I’m not worried about the lifting really at all, but the crack is concerning because it is the wood that is cracked. It has to be a manufacturing defect because I am crazy obsessive about keeping the humidity levels good in my music room. I called Gibson about a repair, but they require a receipt of the purchase. I received this guitar as a gift, so no luck there. I also never feel fully comfortable shipping a guitar. Plus, why pay someone to do something I can do myself lol.

Rosewood may be the better choice because as you mentioned, the densities are close and it is a closer match to the fretboard.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
I ended up putting a rosewood bridge on, replaced the plastic pins with bone, and ripped the electronics out. I love what it did to the J-15. It changed the tone very slightly, but for the better. But for whatever reason, it now has added volume and sustain. I attribute most of that to getting rid of the electronics inside. Regardless, I’m loving this guitar and can’t put it down right now.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 07:04:38 PM »
Excellent!  I missed that you could do the work yourself.  Sorry.  Glad that it turned out well. 

You may be right - removing the under saddle pickup element could easily help sustain and tone.  I have a few guitars without electronics, which is fine because I simply don't gig anymore.  But if something ever came up, there are still some that have the pickup, like my Rainsong WS-1000 or my 414ce.  I still like the Fishman unit in that guitar, after 17 years.

Even as a gift, there should be a gift receipt somewhere.  Or the original warranty card to register.  Or something......  I would not be so willing to let Gibson off the hook for potential future warranty work (with my fingers crossed that you never need any, of course).
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
I love doing the work the work myself. I'm lucky that my dad was obsessed with everything about acoustic guitars, so he taught me how to play, repair, and all that fun stuff. This day in age, there's a video online for everything. 

I was fortunate that I didn't have to replace the saddle after taking the pickup out. I can barely tell a difference in the action at all. That saved some time.  All of my Taylor's have electronics (ES2) in them, but like you, I don't gig anymore either, so there's no need for the most part.

I agree with you about the warranty. I talked to my God Mother who got the guitar for me and she has no sort of receipt anymore.  When I got it from her for Christmas, I registered the warranty online and thought it was good to go. I've sent guitars to Martin and Taylor and was never asked for a receipt once it was registered. The Martins were registered under my dad's name and they still honored it. I'm guessing it's some sort way for Gibson to get out of doing the work. That's how they get ya lol
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 11:06:11 AM »
........she has no sort of receipt anymore.  When I got it from her for Christmas, I registered the warranty online and thought it was good to go. I've sent guitars to Martin and Taylor and was never asked for a receipt once it was registered. .......I'm guessing it's some sort way for Gibson to get out of doing the work......

That is a little disturbing.  I'm not very inclined to buy a Gibson at this point in my life, but that kind of game to dodge honoring the warranty coverage really seals the deal.  Any way that you properly registered the guitar as the original owner should be satisfactory.  US law does not require you to send in the warranty card, but then you have to have proof of original purchase. 

I too have had Martin do warranty work, but I had registered the guitars through Elderly at purchase and also directly with Martin.  I had Martin's card with the guitar to show the shop who did the neck resets.  Even with all the paperwork in order, Martin pushed back before finally agreeing to cover it.  Conversely, I have never needed any warranty work on my several Taylor guitars.  They have even done things like send me a replacement saddle (chipped) and a pick guard (peeling up) at no charge when I could do that work.

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
I’ve had nothing but great experiences with Taylor for any reason that I’ve ever contacted them. I seem to hear the same from others too. In my opinion, they have set the standard for outstanding customer service.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)